MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Got a DSI MEK today.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Got a DSI MEK today.
Sinamsis
Yeah sounds great man
dkcg
Thanks.

So I've got two desktops on the way, hopefully with the latest firmware. And may bid on another desktop to basically end up with a Poly Evolver via desktops.

I shoulda gotten my DSIflu shot...Got a fever over here! Dead Banana
J3RK
dkcg wrote:
Thanks.

So I've got two desktops on the way, hopefully with the latest firmware. And may bid on another desktop to basically end up with a Poly Evolver via desktops.

Well, you know what the prescription is. More PEK! w00t

Sounds good. I've owned several uWave products, XT, XT-30, XTk, etc. but never an Evolver. PER and PEK prices are a bit high though... May just grab a Blofeld at some point to get some wavetables back in my life. hihi

Oh, how were you doing the CR-78 style drums? Elektron? I've been thinking about laying out some CR-Style PCBs for a little while because I like the sound of them, but I also have a Digitakt on the way. Might just load in some samples.
dkcg
J3RK wrote:
dkcg wrote:
Thanks.

Well, you know what the prescription is. More PEK! w00t

Sounds good. I've owned several uWave products, XT, XT-30, XTk, etc. but never an Evolver. PER and PEK prices are a bit high though... May just grab a Blofeld at some point to get some wavetables back in my life. hihi

Oh, how were you doing the CR-78 style drums? Elektron? I've been thinking about laying out some CR-Style PCBs for a little while because I like the sound of them, but I also have a Digitakt on the way. Might just load in some samples.

Yeah, the PEK prices are kinda high. I got the MEK, and if I get the 3rd desktop for a few hundred less than a PEK. We'll see if I end up keeping the "modular" MEK setup, another octave on the keyboard would be nice...

The drums were Machinedrum, Darker Kit or something like that, I believe it was a kit that came with the MD, tweaked the settings a little bit, but not much. The main bulk of the magic in that drum happens with a gated reverb type effect. I can't remember the preset, but it was in the Eclipse, default presets.
dkcg
Lost the ebay Evolver, went kinda high...$65 more than the ones I got on Reverb. Someone wanted it more than I did... hmmm.....

3 voices it is! for now...
Sinamsis
dkcg wrote:
Lost the ebay Evolver, went kinda high...$65 more than the ones I got on Reverb. Someone wanted it more than I did... hmmm.....

It’s for the best. I think we need an intervention.
dkcg
Sinamsis wrote:
dkcg wrote:

It’s for the best. I think we need an intervention.

lol

I almost irrationally put in a stupid bid, but I refrained. 3 voice MEK should be pretty sweet, and the PRev2 absolutely cannot be overlooked due to too much phony. I was fine with one voice until I got that thing... grin

I should have the second voice end of the week, 3rd the beginning of next week. But as usual, with new equipment, comes a rethinking of everything, mainly my midi signals.
dkcg
Duophony MEK in da house!

I was looking at the Pro2, but now I'm just looking at adding more voices.

2 voices sounds great, but my sloppy playing makes me get that low note stolen. 3 voices is gonna be great. Feels like a different synth hearing more than one voice. 5ths sound huge.

But now...I got the hankerin' for a hunka' Evolvers!

If that PER for $2000 drops to a reasonable price.... twisted
wiperactive
Ditto here... got a good deal on a near mint mono desktop to go with my MEK last month after a couple of years of failing to get a PER at a reasonable price. Sellers were always intent on selling on to 2nd respondents within easier pick-up distance... very frustrating angry !!

I agree that anything less than well timed playing calls for a third voice but duophony really does make a worthwhile difference.

If nothing else, a couple of desktop mono 'expanders' hovering over an MEK looks pretty cool!
cube48
Sorry for shameless plug but my PER is searching for a new home. I'm selling it only to fund Gotharman's PolySpaze which has sort of similar set of features and comparably fat sound. Buyers from EU are preferred.

PER for sale at Elektronauts forum
mecanikill
Just wanted to chime in and say the Evolver is my favorite synth I have used. All others just seem so "normal" when compared to it. I started off with a desktop, then a few years later bought a MEK and now I have a PEK. So many unique features I absolutely love the tuned feedback and 3 delay lines they really give it a sound all of it's own. If only it had a vector joystick...
cube48
One of my most favorite features of Evolver is key re-triggable sequencer and feedback mapped to aftertouch.
dkcg
Nice to see the Evolver love here...
The thing about it I love is that it's a synth, but it's not like 90% of other synths because of the feedback lines and wavetables. I love how pretty it can sound, and especially love how gnarly and wicked it sounds. It's the only synth I have that sometimes, I'm actually afraid of how much it can howl once the feedback loops get going. Afraid in a similar way when a guitar starts to feedback in front of a marshall stack.

Anyhow, in my search for more Evo desktops, I found a deal that I just could not resist. It was 50% cheaper than any used one I could find online. Cheap enough where I wondered on the way there if it was legit. Cheap enough that if I decided I didn't want it, I probably would not lose a cent.

And the reveal...

mecanikill
Very nice looking with the Pro 2 next to the Evolver. I'm curious to know how the two overlap. I almost bought one today but decided to hold off.
dkcg
mecanikill wrote:
Very nice looking with the Pro 2 next to the Evolver. I'm curious to know how the two overlap. I almost bought one today but decided to hold off.

Right now, the Evolver is on top...literally. Just kidding...

I'm just now gong through the Pro2's presets, so I don't have enough time on the Pro2 to compare it to the Evolver. But my immediate impression is that the Pro2 feels more modern in UI and sound. I can hear some similarities, but not much overlap from what I can see and hear.

The sequencer has more steps, and looks like it can do more, like rests are easier to program.

The filter setup is great! I really like bandpass filters and that was one of the selling points for me.

Like I said, it's still fresh and new for me, so I'm not the best cantidate at comparing the two, maybe in a couple weeks I'll have better answers.

But I do know I really like having more effects, like distortion, inside the box.

The keys, The extra keys down to the F is great, I'm not a great keys player, and the Evo has me always playing in C, even though I really want to play a lower note for the scale, if that makes sense.

LEDs won't blind you either.

One thing tho, I didn't start thinking about getting rid of the Evos. Just made me realize there are more sounds to be had.
Sinamsis
dkcg
Hahaha you fucker! Haha that’s awesome. I went through something like that when I bought my first evolver desktop. I decided to buy a MEK for more voices. But then I found a PE version of the MEK so I flipped the other MEK for that. Then I caved and bought a PER for more voices. It’s a sickness. At one point I had a P 08, Mopho Keys/Tetra and the Evolvers. Those might have been my only hardware synths at some point. Be careful!
wiperactive
dkcg

We seem to be in some kind of a parallel resonant frequency situation here!

I've recently bough a new Pro 2 having owned an MEK for some years (with the very recent addition of the desktop Evolver) and like you I'm going through the presets etc, as an initial "getting-to-know-you" phase.

I'm currently being outpaced by far too many unscheduled commitments to spend quality time with it, but I would add that I think the Pro 2 tends to sound a little more 'polished' than the Evolver, I'm guessing your term "modern" refers to that as well? I'm also getting the impression that it's a synth that really delivers, but more through a synthesist's grasp and efforts to make the most of that deep engine... not so much of a wide 'sweet spot' synth I think. Not entirely sure I'm comfortable with the velocity settings of the keys at the moment, but I'm sure I can tweak this to my taste once I get more time with it. With programming effort - amongst other things making subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, use of the gain staging and character facilities - I think the Pro 2 can probably sound pretty much like anything else despite that initial impression. I'm also guessing, at this point, that this could be part of the reason why we see so many 'as new' used Pro 2s up for sale... it's no instant gratification machine, it's a serious programmer's instrument.

So, despite this 'cursory' character difference, I'm pleased with my Pro 2. I'm also quite glad I didn't give-in to going for an Arturia Matrixbrute, which is a great synth, but in my opinion, still doesn't quite have the same synthesis reach as the Pro 2, sequencer and all.

Got the Pro 2 as the current expression of the ultimate portable, programmable, memory equipped, mono synth outside of a modular system.
dkcg
wiperactive wrote:
spend quality time with it, but I would add that I think the Pro 2 tends to sound a little more 'polished' than the Evolver, I'm guessing your term "modern" refers to that as well? I'm also getting the impression that it's a synth that really delivers, but more through a synthesist's grasp and efforts to make the most of that deep engine... not so much of a wide 'sweet spot' synth I think. Not entirely sure I'm comfortable with the velocity settings of the keys at the moment, but I'm sure I can tweak this to my taste once I get more time with it. With programming effort - amongst other things making subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, use of the gain staging and character facilities - I think the Pro 2 can probably sound pretty much like anything else despite that initial impression. I'm also guessing, at this point, that this could be part of the reason why we see so many 'as new' used Pro 2s up for sale... it's no instant gratification machine, it's a serious programmer's instrument.

Polished is a better word. Now that I've spent all night with it (I went to bed as the sun was coming up), it's very formidable. The sequencer is on par with any others I've tried. I read that it can do polyrhythms. Once I see that for myself, I'll be very happy, especially if each sequence can use different divisions or even modulate the divisions. Which it might.

I'm moving in the next couple months, lots have been packed away and moved already, After last night, I packed up the Buchla in its case. I'm not saying it can do what the Buchla can do, far from that, but it does a lot that the Buchla can't do as well easily and as quickly. And it's a lot of fun spending time learning a new system. The DSP oscillators sound better than I thought they would.

The only problem I came across is when I clock it from the Octatrack, and try to send that clock through as well as play the keys out the midi of the Pro2, it doesn't work. It makes sense after I thought about it a bit. I just need a midi merge box and some adjusting the globals, but I think I can get what I want to work.

The Evolver sounds even more raw now. The digital aliasing and feedback loop going out of control is definately it's sound. The Pro2 covers much of that and a lot of other more traditional sounds.

Evolver = a souped up turbo car from the 80's running 600HP
Pro2 = Electric Porsche E

Very happy with the Pro2/Rev2/MEK 2 voice combo. Elektron machines are a nice contrast with them. They'll be going through the Pro2. And we'll see if I can get the CVs to work with the Buchla.

And I found my 3rd EvoDesktop. It's on hold at Guitar Center until middle of next month. I put it in layaway until then. So I'll have essentially a PolyEvo in a few weeks.
MindMachine
dkcg - what mixer is the grey and black one?

edit - and you guys are all sick with DSI infection. But you still need a Mopho/Mopho Keys
Sinamsis
MindMachine wrote:

edit - and you guys are all sick with DSI infection. But you still need a Mopho/Mopho Keys

Mopho keys was on of the most bang for the buck mono keyboards I ever bought. The Mopho x 4 always tempted me. Regarding DSI obsession... I'm recovering. I only have a P6 and a P12 now. Otherwise a Modal 002 and an Alesis Andromeda for polys. I feel pretty happy/well balanced with this. Perhaps a Deckard's Dream one day. But I don't strongly feel like I'm missing anything.
dkcg
MindMachine wrote:

Mackie Onyx 1620i I don't use the firewire side as I never got it working.

Works well enough for my needs.
dkcg
Sinamsis wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Mopho keys was on of the most bang for the buck mono keyboards I ever bought. The Mopho x 4 always tempted me. Regarding DSI obsession... I'm recovering. I only have a P6 and a P12 now. Otherwise a Modal 002 and an Alesis Andromeda for polys. I feel pretty happy/well balanced with this. Perhaps a Deckard's Dream one day. But I don't strongly feel like I'm missing anything.

No wonder you're not feverish right now. The Andromeda is like penicillin for all poly synth fever since you got the P12 too.

I think I need one of those 8 channel to adat pre/converters. I have no channels free on my mixer now. I'll have 8 eaten up by Evolvers, 2 by the prophet, 2 by the Pro2, 2 by the buchla, 2 by the OT if I feed the MD into it. Ideally, i could use at least 6 more for the buchla, Rev2, and MD, 24 is way too many...dang. sad banana

If I add anything, I need a bigger mixer, which I don't have the space for. Some 8 channel summing mixer for the Evolvers would be the best thing. Patch bay is less desirable, but an option.

But this weekend, I'd been getting into exploring the Pro2 and ready to start a patch from scratch today. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

As for the Mopho, I had an itch to get it to cure DSI fever, but held off. Glad I did, I got the Pro2 for just a little bit more than some mophos i've seen on craigslist.
Sinamsis
Yeah, I'm a sucker for polysynths. The A6 sounds wonderful. I tend to favor the OB flavor filter over the Moog style one. I'm still getting to know. I did get swindled a little bit on it, seller mentioned that the encoders could become jumpy and that it was due to dust accumulation because the pots are open, and it resolves with some compressed air.... that was bullshit, and they've become a little flakier. I think I just need to take some Deoxit to them, which I will probably tackle this weekend. It's passable as is, but it drives me nuts. I'm always keeping my eyes for a parts board, or a reasonably priced second A6.

That said, the A6 is really wonderful BUT.... the DSI synths blow it out of the water in terms of UI, even the older ones. And in terms of features, they come close. The complex envelopes of the A6, the flexible audio routing, two good filters along with a built in analog distortion circuit (oh and the 16 parts multitimbral thing, that's cool too) are pretty hard to beat though.

Then there are the Modal synths. I was taken aback at first because of the "lack" of features compared to the DSI synths. It took a while to realize that the Modal model really relies on the animator which takes a minute to get into. Also, it has its shortcoming currently. That said, the Modal synths sound wonderful, and all the features in the world can't overcome that. Also, the UI is decent though some times it can be a little glitchy. To put it in context I own an 002, and had an 008 for a while. Both synths have their strengths and their weaknesses.
Sinamsis
Oh, and if you're looking for an ADAT ADDA, i would look at the Behringer ADA8200. It's very bang for the buck. You could get really fancy, but they're surprisingly solid. I had a bread and butter ADA8000, and ended up buying a Black Lion modded ADA8200. I'm not certain the BLA mod did anything, but it sounds decent to me. Otherwise second hand RME ADI 8 Pros shouldn't be super expensive. No preamps, but that doesn't seem to bother me (I have one of those too). I don't use a mixer or patchbay. I just have two UAD Apollos with an ADDA expander connected to each. Don't have that much outboard stuff, just a few pedals.
dkcg
I'm weary of Behringer gear, but haven't heard/read anything bad about the ADA8200, and the "better" units have more than I need. I'll be ordering one and am starting to think about using it with a patchbay.

I took a look at a used Modal 001 at GuitarCenter, stopped looking when I saw that desktop Evo. It's in police hold for 3 more weeks, but i put a deposit on it.

Did I mention I accidentally bought a used Tempest? oops

Goddam good deals keep popping up in front of me lately.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5