MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Started a Eurorack Vlog on Youtube
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Started a Eurorack Vlog on Youtube
Nutritional Zero
A fellow Canadian! Your accent is pretty neutral so I’m going to say... Ontario?
zamzam
Dcramer wrote:

Personally, I’ve only ever been interested in advancing the state of the art of patching but these tend to be tricky videos to create, trying to explain a network of changing voltages in an educational way isn’t an easy task and may not hold the attention of new users who tend to think of Eurorack modules as being like big fancy guitar pedals that one simply strings together.
waah
w00t

yeah, i second this
22tape
Welcome Voicedrifter! Do it for yourself, not for anyone on Muff's or the internet. Otherwise you'll miserable... you know, like most people on the internet Rockin' Banana!
voicedrifter
Nutritional Zero wrote:
A fellow Canadian! Your accent is pretty neutral so I’m going to say... Ontario?

Haha, I am impressed. I currently live in Alberta but was born and raised in Ontario!

Thank you everyone else for the kind words of encouragement, it means a lot.
voicedrifter
As suggested by a few people in my other thread, I'm probably just going to let that one fall into the abyss and will just continue updating this one with my new videos to avoid spamming too many topics on this forum.

So I'll just drop vid #2 here as well:

voicedrifter
Hey everyone, I threw videos #3 and #4 up on YouTube, related to my DIY case build!

peripatitis
I have to be honest, if it is about knowledge a tiny diagram can probably provide more useful info about modulars than 30 minutes of video presentation. But that requires action from the receiver not just passiveness plus it lets the consumer-beast within us hungry and unsatisfied...
Who cares about analysing a dcramer's patch when one undeniably has to listen to one more filter knobled in action?

Imo video is a bad medium for anything aural related but on the other hand there is not much interest in the aural experience in 2017, probably even musicians and composers see the music through some sort of video instead of listening to it..
cptnal
I've no idea what peripatitis is talking about, but I think I disagree. I enjoyed watching those last two, especially the case build one. Your enthusiasm and excitement is infectious, and it has me interested enough to follow you on your journey. This is fun!
peripatitis
cptnal wrote:
I've no idea what peripatitis is talking about, but I think I disagree. I enjoyed watching those last two, especially the case build one. Your enthusiasm and excitement is infectious, and it has me interested enough to follow you on your journey. This is fun!

Well for one i am not talking about the specific videos from voicedrfiter but a general trend i have noticed regarding many youtube/eurorack videos.

I much more prefer something like nav's approach when he used to do some module reviews. A bried explanation in text and sound. A msucian should be able to make his mind by auraly auditioning a module, no need for a video...)

Videos i find are closer to my primitive gas-instinct and i tend to approach most of them as a paid or aspiring to a paid adds in the sense that they can be informative but never educational and evenif they do offer some educational purpose they are highly inefficiant in transfering that across and in most cases that knowledge tends to be quite superficial...

Anyway i am curious though what you find useful in the enthousiam and excitement of a video presenter (not necessarily noicedrifters in this case)?
cptnal
There are certainly a lot of videos around, and some are more useful than others. What's useful to me won't necessarily be useful to you, and vice versa (and that's just talking about utility rather than entertainment value, which is probably a "use" in itself hmmm..... ). I guess the more videos there are the more likely it is you'll find one to your own taste.

If someone's enthusiastic about something you get the sense that they have a genuine interest in what they're doing, rather than "just" for the money (we all have to eat!). Subconsciously it tickles that part of your brain that asks, "what's he's so excited about, and why?" Mylar Melodies is another good example - he obviously loves using the modules he demos, so you want to be similarly excited.

This is fun!
voicedrifter
peripatitis wrote:
they can be informative but never educational and evenif they do offer some educational purpose they are highly inefficiant in transfering that across and in most cases that knowledge tends to be quite superficial...

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not saying my videos are of any level of quality, but its undeniable that guys like DivKid and Mylar are doing the lord's work in this regard. At least as a beginner, their content has been invaluable in learning about modular techniques at a high-level as well as certain modules before I buy them. I'd be very surprised if seasoned veterans couldn't pick up some cool tricks from them too; saying that they are "never" educational seems a little close-minded...

All of that aside though, I find modular videos to have a high entertainment value, and they have much more potential for visual engagement than something like just watching someone produce in software for an hour. I agree that there's no substitute for quality time spent practicing your own instrument, but also sometimes you just want to kick back on the couch and fly through a playlist of some performances. Maybe it is GAS, but the visuals of all the blinking lights and patching compliment the music quite nicely in a lot of cases.

I've been loving this Rheyne guy's stuff lately, and not for the fact that he makes videos... I just love his music and sound design. Does he go crazy with the LED lighting in his studio? Maybe. But I'd challenge you to explain to me how the subtle camera pans detract from the artform? I think they fit the atmosphere wonderfully:

voicedrifter
cptnal wrote:
Your enthusiasm and excitement is infectious, and it has me interested enough to follow you on your journey. This is fun!

Thank you my friend, I hope I do not let you down! thumbs up
peripatitis
voicedrifter wrote:
peripatitis wrote:
they can be informative but never educational and evenif they do offer some educational purpose they are highly inefficiant in transfering that across and in most cases that knowledge tends to be quite superficial...

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not saying my videos are of any level of quality, but its undeniable that guys like DivKid and Mylar are doing the lord's work in this regard. At least as a beginner, their content has been invaluable in learning about modular techniques at a high-level as well as certain modules before I buy them. I'd be very surprised if seasoned veterans couldn't pick up some cool tricks from them too; saying that they are "never" educational seems a little close-minded...

All of that aside though, I find modular videos to have a high entertainment value, and they have much more potential for visual engagement than something like just watching someone produce in software for an hour. I agree that there's no substitute for quality time spent practicing your own instrument, but also sometimes you just want to kick back on the couch and fly through a playlist of some performances. Maybe it is GAS, but the visuals of all the blinking lights and patching compliment the music quite nicely in a lot of cases.

I've been loving this Rheyne guy's stuff lately, and not for the fact that he makes videos... I just love his music and sound design. Does he go crazy with the LED lighting in his studio? Maybe. But I'd challenge you to explain to me how the subtle camera pans detract from the artform? I think they fit the atmosphere wonderfully:

I don't know perhaps because i've worked in advertisement i am not very comfortable in that grey area. I do think that working by yourself on something is the only real way to undestand and improve upon it.
Watching video's seems like a passive activity to me..

Now of course we are in a "music for something" world. No one survives making music. The most abstract art form has to be for something in 2018, which is why i think it would be best to relly on the aural qualities of the art form. There was a time 30-40-50 years ago when people would just put some music on the stereo and listen to it. No videos, no visuals, nothing just listening..
I know this is part of the past, but i think it would be better for all to return there is possible.
mathomas
I’ve been struggling how to go with my video content, too. I have a 7.6k subscriber base, built mostly on my photography vids (probably 200 of them at this point, mostly about film photography, large format, etc). My photo videos were getting more complicated, sometimes taking many hours to complete, and I started getting burned out and kind of fell back into music production again Jan 2017.

Back in 2010 or so, I didn’t start my channel to make money (though now it generates a very small amount), and I’m not willing to do what it takes to push my channel to actual salary levels or beyond. I have a day job that pays well enough for me to have expensive hobbies, so naturally Eurorack fills the bill, and my photography/video experience makes doing videos a natural fit ;-).

WRT Eurorack, I basically just started publishing videos of anything I produced that I thought was “OK” or “interesting”, and provided detailed patch notes. It’s not to provide instruction, or because I think my music is amazing, but mostly because I appreciate others sharing and wanted to take part. In that sense, of course YT is social media. I share photos on flickr. Why not share other creative A/V output on YT?

These vids are just music vids with the modular as the star. I appeared quite often in my photography vids, but in these music vids all you see is my hands, mostly. I’m sure I have confused my subscribers, most of whom have astonished me by staying with me (!).

I have a couple of Eurorack vids that have crossed 1k views, and one that is in multiple thousands, but by and large I average about 500 views. Ain’t nobody gonna get rich on that. It’s just too niche of a market for the pure music vids to go crazy with views, unless you’re really producing excellent stuff or have found some way to market.

I guess this is just a really long way of saying doing “personal” videos (vs. my so-far “impersonal” modular vids) is probably the only way to make a real dent in the YT modular market. I also think Andrew Huang has created a gold rush in this very small space, and I’m seeing prospectors everywhere.

Anyway, I think YT content creation is a huge tent and you shouldn’t let anyone tell you how to approach it, or put you off the idea. Try stuff and see what sticks!

Just for fun, here’s my first vid to be “popular” at all with popular being a very relative term. Some others have surpassed it, but this one was my first pleasant surprise.

PS
There’s another aspect of why people watch videos that the critics have missed: simple inspiration. I generally watch modular to be inspired by what someone else has created. It challenges me to try new things, and to stretch to try to accomplish what someone like, say, “Jericho” achieves (check him out — he’s unsung and amazing, and unfortunately not uploading much any more).
voicedrifter
mathomas wrote:
These vids are just music vids with the modular as the star.

Love this, might quote you on this sometime! I'm also a big fan and subscriber Mike, keep up the good work!
voicedrifter
mathomas
voicedrifter wrote:
mathomas wrote:
These vids are just music vids with the modular as the star.

Love this, might quote you on this sometime! I'm also a big fan and subscriber Mike, keep up the good work!

Quote away Miley Cyrus

And you have a new subscriber, BTW.
peripatitis
In hindsight i think I've been unnecessarily critical on the video format.
I started thinking about many max videos i've watched over the time that i found very useful and often eurorack videos that show an module through an oscilloscope.

Anyway i just stumbled upon this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzW6pTzATG4&feature=youtu.be
which i'v found very interesting!

I do think though it is easier to showcase things on a homogenous system rather than a eurorack one where each module can be a take on a traditional idea with some quirks added...
Multi Grooves
I'm gonna take the old man misrables route. My limited life experience tells me to be a little suspicious of the sudden interest in anything and the slew of videos and all the other stuff tacked on. It usually spells a a big change- nothing stays the same of course- but it is not a change necessarily for the betterment.
Anyway in my head at least, the irony of the hamster about to jump the shark on your avatar makes me smile. Seriously good luck with things though.

I remember the eBay madness for 531 tubing and videos/forums asking what shade of gold should I paint my deepV rims for my #sickwhip bro bike...

[/Chewbacca moonwalk dancing.gif]
cptnal
Multi Grooves wrote:
In my head at least, the irony of the hamster about to jump the shark on your avatar makes me smile.

Reckon that's a cat in a shark suit (obvs). Thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLt5rBfNucc
voicedrifter
Multi Grooves wrote:
I remember the eBay madness for 531 tubing and videos/forums asking what shade of gold should I paint my deepV rims for my #sickwhip bro bike...

Seriously? I don't get what is up with all the tilted old curmudgeons and their precious elite club that no one else is allowed to participate in... Genuinely, I mean it, there have been some really cool and supportive people in this thread and elsewhere but between stuff like your comments and some of the other stuff I've read on Muff Wiggler (Andrew Huang's thread anyone?), this has to be one of the most unwelcoming communities I've ever come across.

I'm sorry that you feel that anybody new to the hobby is ruining the good ole' days but making assumptions that I'm some sort of filthy casual trust fund bro who's daddy just bought him a shiny new toy is kind of an insult. Get off the internet and interact with other adults once in a while and maybe you'll realize this is not how people treat each other in the real world.
Multi Grooves
voicedrifter wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:

Seriously? I don't get what is up with all the tilted old curmudgeons and their precious elite club that no one else is allowed to participate in... Genuinely, I mean it, there have been some really cool and supportive people in this thread and elsewhere but between stuff like your comments and some of the other stuff I've read on Muff Wiggler (Andrew Huang's thread anyone?), this has to be one of the most unwelcoming communities I've ever come across.

I'm sorry that you feel that anybody new to the hobby is ruining the good ole' days but making assumptions that I'm some sort of filthy casual trust fund bro who's daddy just bought him a shiny new toy is kind of an insult. Get off the internet and interact with other adults once in a while and maybe you'll realize this is not how people treat each other in the real world.

What is it with folk that come soliciting opinions, then wet the bed at the first sign of jovial jibes?
Quote:
their precious elite club that no one else is allowed to participate in...

Sorry what is your post count around these parts again before spam...sorry announcing your channel?
I'm pretty much a nobody here. So, no, I do not own membership to this fabulous website. As far as I can see everyone is welcome here... including you...as pretty much every post confirmed. You've had many warm welcomes, a little constructive criticism and a lone teasing sarcastic post at the end that still genuinely wished you the best of luck.
I made no assumptions of you personally, your bathing habits or of your Daddies income. (Does he have a heath kit by the way?)
So unless you or your dad pay for my internet connection, I'll decide when to leave, thank you. I still wish you the best of luck with elevating your social meedja channel rebranding project. I'm sub'd!
But if you think a gentle ribbing on muffs is so unwelcoming, then you've lived a charmed life; do you even youtube commentz?
Maybe it is you that needs to get out and air your valance.

thumbs up
Dcramer
Voicedrifter, Alberta!
are you in Cowtown or up here in Oilville? woah
voicedrifter
cptnal wrote:
Reckon that's a cat in a shark suit (obvs)

Haha, ding ding ding! Vacuum shark cat is life.

Dcramer wrote:
are you in Cowtown or up here in Oilville?

Cowtown for me!
JakoGreyshire
cptnal wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:
In my head at least, the irony of the hamster about to jump the shark on your avatar makes me smile.

Reckon that's a cat in a shark suit (obvs). Thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLt5rBfNucc

lolspew

HAHA! that's the first time I've seen that vacuum shark cat! So funny!

Made my day..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4