MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Started a Eurorack Vlog on Youtube
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Started a Eurorack Vlog on Youtube
JakoGreyshire
voicedrifter wrote:
Multi Grooves wrote:
I remember the eBay madness for 531 tubing and videos/forums asking what shade of gold should I paint my deepV rims for my #sickwhip bro bike...

Seriously? I don't get what is up with all the tilted old curmudgeons and their precious elite club that no one else is allowed to participate in... Genuinely, I mean it, there have been some really cool and supportive people in this thread and elsewhere but between stuff like your comments and some of the other stuff I've read on Muff Wiggler (Andrew Huang's thread anyone?), this has to be one of the most unwelcoming communities I've ever come across.

I'm sorry that you feel that anybody new to the hobby is ruining the good ole' days but making assumptions that I'm some sort of filthy casual trust fund bro who's daddy just bought him a shiny new toy is kind of an insult. Get off the internet and interact with other adults once in a while and maybe you'll realize this is not how people treat each other in the real world.

Whoa! Just wanted to remind you that when you post things here you are communicating with 37,053 members... Not everyone is going to like what you are saying or doing... Most will not comment either way. When I get weird comments I usually sit back and read it a few times to really try to see where they are coming from. From where I see it Multi Grooves was just proclaiming angst at the state of the world in general (somewhat directed to you in your thread, but not super critical or suggesting that you are some "filthy casual trust fund bro" ...) and also wishing you good luck as well. I didn't see any back handedness involved. Did I miss it? I guess I didn't get the Gold deep Vrims thing. Was that a thing only trust fund kids could do? I don't know...??

Anyway, you kind of flew off the handle here and that may not be a good way to portray yourself. It's deeply satisfying to gently turn things around and come out on top rather than come off a bit hot.

... Actually, this type of comment can make you stronger really. A little bit of tension can help to make one strive for something better. A honing of skills.. a brighter light and the end of the tunnel. Be prepared for all types of opinions in this "open 37,053 member" community. Chew on the unique opinions for a long while.. Trust me you will come up with some awesome retorts that way.

If this was an "Elitist" club then there would be only one opinion allowed and if you weren't in on that opinion then you would be kick out immediately. This is not the case. Please don't talk shit about MuffWiggler as a forum. Muffwiggler is not responsible for everyone in here. If there are other communities that do not allow for negative comments and everyone must be welcoming, then that would be elitism as well.

Oh by the way what other communities have you found to be more welcoming than MW? I'm just curious... MW is the only community I've ever joined. So I don't know any others. Please help me understand this.

I enjoyed your latest video with arpeggiated patterns. I'm eagerly awaiting some complex patching and awesome tricks from you in the future. That's the kind of thing my blood longs for.

@ Multi Grooves Change is the only constant. I feel you though. Today I was totally bummed out with the ever increasing change about to happen with the release of the Moog DFAM. For 7-8 months I was one out of 88-ish DFAM owners in the world. Yeah, I felt special... Now I'm just a drop in the ocean. I let it hurt my ego for a while and now, still bummed, I'm embracing the challenge to push my own style and limits out of the DFAM. To rise up with all the new DFAM owners in unison. Domo Arigato Mr. DFAM-Roboto!

Dude! VoiceDrifter! Go buy a DFAM!! Seriously, you wont regret it! No, I'm being serious here... M32 and DFAM is the total next step for you. If you want to see more of it. Check out my youtube page or search for the "Damn. DFAM." thread here at MW...

Get a DFAM and we'll make some DFAM dueling video funtests (fun+contests)..

thumbs up

By the way, what are your plans for your next modules???
Oh, that right there gets me curious!!
Wha.. What are they? My precious... what are they??(in the voice of Smeagol..obviously)

hihi hihi

What are you plans for modules? You've got a big case now..
mattcolville
voicedrifter wrote:
As suggested by a few people in my other thread, I'm probably just going to let that one fall into the abyss and will just continue updating this one with my new videos to avoid spamming too many topics on this forum.

So I'll just drop vid #2 here as well:

Hey man I'm completely new to modular synths in general and even the idea of making music, but I've got a Mother32 and this video is fucking aces. Thanks!
Zube
voicedrifter wrote:

Seriously? I don't get what is up with all the tilted old curmudgeons and their precious elite club that no one else is allowed to participate in... Genuinely, I mean it, there have been some really cool and supportive people in this thread and elsewhere but between stuff like your comments and some of the other stuff I've read on Muff Wiggler (Andrew Huang's thread anyone?), this has to be one of the most unwelcoming communities I've ever come across.

C'mon dude. The vast majority of people have been supportive of you... and other YT makers... and Andrew Huang. Mine and other (very legitimate) criticisms you've received are vastly outnumbered by the compliments. Do you just let any old random door-to-door salesman into your house and let him play with your dog, clean out your fridge? Nobody's going to be coming to your place and taking your Mother 32 and camera away from you. Talk about entitlement. One day, you'll be old too, if you're lucky.

voicedrifter wrote:

I'm sorry that you feel that anybody new to the hobby is ruining the good ole' days but making assumptions that I'm some sort of filthy casual trust fund bro who's daddy just bought him a shiny new toy is kind of an insult. Get off the internet and interact with other adults once in a while and maybe you'll realize this is not how people treat each other in the real world.

But you are doing it to yourself, and you give that impression with this type of talk. You're not ruining anyone's days, old or new- get over yourself. Take some of your own advice and get some fresh air outside

Don't worry, no one is going to see your video, and mistake you for a trust fund bro

Maybe you'd be 100% welcomed if you were 100% honest from the start about your intentions. Everyone who first gets into this stuff gets excited and wants to share. Or else they wouldn't be here. No shame in that. Maybe learning and reading and listening a little more than telling, would do you and your YT career, not mention your music and life, some good. Complaining about 99% acceptance is not exactly "adult" or "all about the community," or in any way "doing it for my friends and family"- kind of contradicts your earlier posts, my man
Multi Grooves
Fingers crossed our subscriptions will make you the next massive Internet personality for 2018. Who knows, an agent next, then a call up for The Real Patchwives of Ontario, next?

Miley Cyrus
voicedrifter
Guys... I do apologize if the response yesterday seemed aggressive, it was not my intent to direct that at anyone or anything else in this thread other than Multi Grooves "#sickbro" comment. It came across as very patronizing; I picked up a tone there that I've definitely sensed all over this place that seems kind of like an emerging problem. I've not been around here long but I gather that the modular community is seeing a surge of interest; people that may be coming and going, and whom it is hard to take that seriously until they cross a certain post count or whatever. I get it. I would just ask that people chill on assuming that every new person walking through that door is somehow fundamentally different from the long-standing members in any way other than that tiny little "Joined" date to the left of their post. Assuming superficiality is a prejudice, calling people out on it is discrimination. And that does not feel great on the receiving end.

Maybe it could help to better communicate what I'm about though? I've been producing experimental electronic music and building my own custom instruments & effects in solutions like Reaktor & Max/MSP for over 15 years now, and while I'm new to things like powering a case and the difference between control voltage standards, I've been patching the fundamentals of synthesis for a long time. If it seems like I'm hopping on some sort of fad right now I probably am, but only because the exposure modular is getting right now is so overwhelmingly positive! That doesn't mean it's superficial; I fully intend to take my investment of time and money into this hobby seriously. I've not spent this much time in the studio in years.

And I want to engage with this community to talk about the stuff we all have in common, rather than be on the other side of some sort of initiation. I also just wanted to make some stupid little videos as a personal diary for myself, and figured it'd be fun to share them. The talking head videos are just another experiment I had a little fun with, and I'm not sure how much of that kind of stuff I'll pursue, but mostly because of the effort involved. I don't care about view counts, YouTube scrilla, or anything like that, because I'm happily into an established career in software development that mentally wears me out too much to think too hard on lighting techniques or ways to play the system to get more subscribers. I just enjoy the process of rolling the old cell phone camera because once those cables get yanked out, that patch ain't coming back!
voicedrifter
Here's another jam sesh. I dedicate it to Multi Grooves as an olive branch / peace offering. Miley Cyrus

voicedrifter
voicedrifter
cptnal
thumbs up

That's a nice sine coming out of the Disting. Never used it myself because I reckoned I have plenty sines. [Note to self - Try Disting's sine.]
voicedrifter
JakoGreyshire
Noice! Can you break down the patch some more please? Really like the fuzzy pad sound... FM'd with noise I'm guessing with a long EG decay?
Bass line is wicked too.. how did you patch that up? Rockin' Banana!
grep
Too many jams. Let’s hear more about your eurorack journey.
voicedrifter
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Noice! Can you break down the patch some more please? Really like the fuzzy pad sound... FM'd with noise I'm guessing with a long EG decay?
Bass line is wicked too.. how did you patch that up? Rockin' Banana!

I need to get better at documenting my patches. I've been throwing the notes into video descriptions but this one is admittedly a little vague:

-Voice 1 is a straight-ahead 303 style bass line coming from one of the Mothers
-Voice 2 is a noisy pad pattern, clocked by voice 1’s assign output
-Voice 3/4 is a kick/snare using Tip Top BD808 and SD808. A single gate is fed to Mutable Instruments Branches. Channel one is set to 100% probability on one output, generating a trigger to BD808 (kick) every beat. Channel two is set to 100% probability of a switch between two outputs. Patching out of one of these outputs to SD808 divides the clock evenly, generating a snare hit only on the offbeats.
-Strymon Big Sky provides varying amounts of reverb for each channel on a return track

You nailed it though, the lead was just noise + fm, and the bass line is a pretty conservative Mother 32 patch with excessive filter resonance and taking advantage of the built-in sequencer features (accent, slide etc.)
voicedrifter
grep wrote:
Too many jams. Let’s hear more about your eurorack journey.

I know man, I'm with you 100%. Those videos are just so much more work, and at the moment I'm having too much damn fun just making music with this thing!
voicedrifter

Patch Notes:
-In this patch I experimented with driving sequencers using alternative clock sources such as the Mother's square LFO at varying rates for a much looser feel to the timing
-Rather than using random pitches/sample & hold to gain variety, I find it very interesting how you can produce a much more evolving piece by programming in a few simple parts that are clocked differently so that you don't have rigid loop start/end points
-The piece remains generative from a rhythmic sense but lets you rein in the chaos by retaining control over the melodic/harmonic direction of the composition
voicedrifter

Patch Notes:
-Korg SQ1 serves as master clock, passing a gate value into channel 1 of Mutable Instruments Branches, which is a Bernoulli gate that lets you set a probability that the input will be passed out to one of two possible outputs
-The gate then has a chance of going out to one of two sequences, which advances them one note at a time and plays voice 1 or 2 which are panned slightly left and right
-Another clock is generated out of the Mother's assign output (a subdivision of the main clock) and passed to channel 2 of Branches for another probability pass, this time with only 1 output that may or may not pass out a clock signal with each input trigger
-This second clock is then sent to a slower progressing bass line sequence on a third Mother 32
-4ms Dual Looping Delay and Strymon Big Sky are both set up as return channels out of the mixer for varying amounts of effects processing
cackland
Sounds great.

Rather than adding a blob of patch information into the thread post or youtube description, perhaps add another element to your videos where you go through the process and describe the signal path and its impact at each stage.

It would enhance the viewer's engagement and add depth and perspective rather than a still shot over the length of the vlog.

Just my two cents smile
voicedrifter
That's a great idea cackland! I've got a couple more videos already stockpiled but maybe I'll try this idea for the next one that gets recorded.
cackland
Look forward to it smile
voicedrifter

Patch Notes:
-Experimenting with CV mixing of simple elements for more complex modulation sources, specifically on the bass line in this one
-For this one it was a combination of one Mother's triangle LFO mixed with the gate signal coming out of another Mother's sequence. This all goes through an attenuator and then into the first Mother's filter cutoff. The gate on/off signal gives you that rigid stepped sound in the bassline and the triangle kind of accentuates the base frequency being modulated from in a smooth, slower rise/fall.
JakoGreyshire
Nice Jam... Just wondering where you were mixing the the CV? Was it in the mother on the top left? Kind of hard to follow the cables... Can you break down the patch notes into details for us?

Also just one tiny suggestion....... Super tiny.... Makes a difference though... but you have to remember to adjust it every time though....

It was the first constructive criticism I was told about my videos...... I was told to not use auto focus... Put the camera in manual focus and focus before you shoot... I've only had one time I forgot and I couldn't use the video because it was out of focus.... It's a small distraction when the camera changes focus.. Take it or leave it... no big deal. Keep up the good work, I do like your patches...
Multi Grooves
voicedrifter wrote:
Guys... I do apologize if the response yesterday seemed aggressive, [...]

I meant to get back to this a while back but no beef from me. Good luck with your endeavours.

**edit** Really like #9's vibe
voicedrifter

Patch Notes:
-Experimenting with quantized sample & hold applied to triangle wave LFOs for a more cyclic melodic structure than standard sample & hold noise/random pitches
-Two Mother 32 triangle LFOs are fed into the Disting Mk4's Dual Quantizer set to trigger mode
-A third square LFO serves as trigger for the quantized sample and hold
-The quantized sample & hold patterns are sent out to two different voices
-Voice 1, the bass is just a simple filtered square with slow attack/decay modulating the VCA & VCF
-Voice 2, the pluck is another filtered square with some pulse width modulation and a shorter attack/decay modulating the VCA & VCF
-Voices are mixed and the pluck is being sent to the 4ms DLD via a send/return. DLD is configured with a stereo delay.
-Korg SQ1 passes random gates to Mutable Instruments Branches with a 50/50 chance of reversing either the left or right delay line in DLD
-A second send/return goes out to the Strymon Big Sky set to the Magneto machine with some manual manipulation of delay times & feedback
voicedrifter
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Nice Jam... Just wondering where you were mixing the the CV? Was it in the mother on the top left? Kind of hard to follow the cables... Can you break down the patch notes into details for us?

Yeah, actually got this criticism a bit on this video. I'm going to try to put more of an effort into patch notes moving forward, even maybe incorporating a sort of walkthrough into the video itself. This one I had to go back and follow the cables to remind myself (recorded it a few weeks ago actually) but I've adjusted the description under video #12 with a little more detail on the bass line at least.

JakoGreyshire wrote:
Put the camera in manual focus and focus before you shoot

With you 100%. I've actually just been using my phone to film these and didn't even realize it had a manual mode until I dug into it a little more. But I've been experimenting with this in more recent videos, for example the one I just posted above ^^^ looks a little better hey? Still might need to work on lighting a bit though...
voicedrifter
Multi Grooves wrote:
I meant to get back to this a while back but no beef from me. Good luck with your endeavours.

thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4