MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noob Question: Can Buchla LEM case power passive boat?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Noob Question: Can Buchla LEM case power passive boat?
Precarious
I can't find the answer to this questions anywhere. I'm sure experienced users here will know.

I have a LEM4 Snoopy case. Power board is labeled '3-module LEM mini-system power supply'. Wall wort is rated at 12V, 5.8A.

Only 3 large power connector slots on the board but h-modules use the smaller black connectors for power. Only 261e using large connector so 2 available.

Could I power a passive boat from one of the remaining connectors? I'm thinking 'no' but wishing 'yes'.

ArguZ
The problem is that thatcard only delivers 500-600mAh
The wall wart can do 10 times that.
Drillionaire
It depends on which modules you're planning on putting in the passive boat. The ±15v DC-DC converter is the same as what's on the Easel power board. You might run into trouble if you're using something that draws a lot of current on the ±15v rails, like a 296e. Additionally, you might also draw too much current from the 5v rail with something that uses a lot of LEDs, like the 223e. I believe the 5v rail is a linear regulator powered by the 12v unregulated rail from the wall adapter. This leads to a large thermal loss in the regulator, and excessive current draw on the 5v rail will cause the linear regulator to go into thermal shutdown. The 5v linear regulator can be replaced with a switching DC-DC converter, as is done on some of the mid-rev easel power boards when they're installed in a LEM208 or Easel-K.

Sorry that's not a very conclusive answer. If you've got specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.
Precarious
Drillionaire wrote:
It depends on which modules you're planning on putting in the passive boat. The ±15v DC-DC converter is the same as what's on the Easel power board. You might run into trouble if you're using something that draws a lot of current on the ±15v rails, like a 296e. Additionally, you might also draw too much current from the 5v rail with something that uses a lot of LEDs, like the 223e. I believe the 5v rail is a linear regulator powered by the 12v unregulated rail from the wall adapter. This leads to a large thermal loss in the regulator, and excessive current draw on the 5v rail will cause the linear regulator to go into thermal shutdown. The 5v linear regulator can be replaced with a switching DC-DC converter, as is done on some of the mid-rev easel power boards when they're installed in a LEM208 or Easel-K.

Sorry that's not a very conclusive answer. If you've got specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can.

Damn, I really wish I knew more about electrical. Completely lost.

How about this instead. I can get an 8U Boop case with PSU specs:
15v/+15v = 800mA; 12v = 1,2A; 5v = 2A.

Is that enough to power 8U of 200e or do you think it's intended more for
a mix of 200e and clones? It's compatible with both but doesn't sound like
enough for a full 200e setup. Am I wrong to think that?
Drillionaire
That should be fine. The 18wls cases have 3A 5v and 1A each ±15v. The 12v should be okay as long as you're not running a 252e. That uses the 12v rail to drive the LEDs and could theoretically draw more than the 1.2A you mentioned. I don't know the specifics of the power supplies boops uses, but if the 12v is coming from a wall adapter and being boosted/regulated to +15v, -15v, and +5v, a higher wattage adapter could be used to increase that 12v rating and allow the use of a 252e in that system.
Precarious
Drillionaire wrote:
That should be fine. The 18wls cases have 3A 5v and 1A each ±15v. The 12v should be okay as long as you're not running a 252e. That uses the 12v rail to drive the LEDs and could theoretically draw more than the 1.2A you mentioned. I don't know the specifics of the power supplies boops uses, but if the 12v is coming from a wall adapter and being boosted/regulated to +15v, -15v, and +5v, a higher wattage adapter could be used to increase that 12v rating and allow the use of a 252e in that system.

Awesome! Thanks so much. I really needed that reassurance. Appreciate you sharing your expertise. I will grab this case.

I believe this case has Vedic distro board so not sure if power supply is Boop or not. But good to know an upgraded power supply may make a difference in the case of 252e.

Thanks again, Drillionaire!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1