MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Multiple video synths (LZX, Gieskies, Tachyons+ etc.) ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Multiple video synths (LZX, Gieskies, Tachyons+ etc.) ?
octaveoctavio
Hi y'all

Just wanting to hear your opinions on how well may different video synthetizer/processors, such as the LZX Vidiot, Gieskies 3trinsRGB+1c, Tachyons+ products (Vortex, Psychenizer, Rainbowonic etc.), complement each other ?

Thanks
Agawell
not 100% qualified to answer this as I only use software for video synthesis at the moment, but I'd really strongly suggest searching YouTube and instagram = there are lots of examples of gieskies and lzx modules etc
Matos
Really depends on your vision. My work tends to utilize multiple layers to create rich complexity. I use two streams from a large lzx system, lumen, vdmx, and a 3trinsrgb all a once. Some prefer the purity of shape synthesis. Others enjoy processing external video. It’s best to choose 1 system, learn it well, and learn what you need to add or subtract to create the work you desire.
octaveoctavio
What about Tachyons+ products? Really can't figure out the differences between each effect unit
Agawell
I just looked at their website - it's not the best for product information

but they do have contact us for more information so I'd try that
evolve
Tachyons play well with LZX and video synths. Same with BPMC. Just keep in mind with any circuit bending you will need some kind of TBC for use with capture cards or projectors.
octaveoctavio
Wow. I didn't know BPMC products, seems great too!

evolve wrote:
Just keep in mind with any circuit bending you will need some kind of TBC for use with capture cards or projectors.

Sorry if I'm noobing you but what exactly is TBC in that context ?
evolve
Time Base Corrector.

Since BPMC and Tachyons+ are circuit bent, they cause corruption of the video signal. This is fine if going directly to a CRT, however if it's going into digital equipment it can cause drop outs (black or blue blank screen). A time base corrector preserves the signal, and yet makes it so that it will not drop out.

They are a bit bulky but can be found on ebay for cheap.
octaveoctavio
evolve wrote:
Time Base Corrector.

Since BPMC and Tachyons+ are circuit bent, they cause corruption of the video signal. This is fine if going directly to a CRT, however if it's going into digital equipment it can cause drop outs (black or blue blank screen). A time base corrector preserves the signal, and yet makes it so that it will not drop out.

They are a bit bulky but can be found on ebay for cheap.

Thanks! Can you drop a reference or two to be eventually searching for a TBC on eBay ?
Dirty_Bill
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Processing-System-DPS-290-Component-T BC-Synchronizer-Powers-Up-m748x/382305102319?hash=item590328e9ef:g:2xQ AAOSwhcJWLnft

Or such. Also LZX will be releasing new Euro TBCs this year.
evanh41
I'll chime in here, as for the last few years, I've been an avid user of the Tachyons line. #1: Get a video mixer. Panasonic AVE/ MX, Videonics MX-1, Edirol V4. All of em have effects and various wipes to blend and process signal with, as well as the necessary TBC/ DFS it takes to get a clean signal. Panasonic line seems to have the best reaction with the T+.

A Camcorder you got a thrift store makes a good, cheap source to get you going when paired with a mixer and TV you got off someone's curb.

But things start to get interesting when you bring a 3trins into the mix. 3trins and T+, specifically the latest iteration of the psychenizer can get into some pretty insane territory. It's quite rare now, but it is the one that truly has the most bite. If you scroll back enough, you can find of my results with this pair through instagram at @cinema.av.

With an understanding of 3trins and basic video synthesis, I have ventured proper into LZX with the Cadet line, building as I go. When you get it all going, you have truly achieved something quite new.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1