Power Supply #5, #6 and #7 (completed)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord, sduck

JohnLRice

Power Supply #5, #6 and #7 (completed)

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:07 am

Here are some pictures of where I'm at. Everything is done except the wiring, which I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to do! 8_) (see this thread for my lameness in getting to this point :oops: ) I'll post some finished pictures after I get them wired and working.

Last edited by JohnLRice on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:24 am

:yay: its nice to see someone taking their PSUs so seriously. mine are always an afterthought, cobbled together on a scrap bit of perfboard and some recycled hunk of metal as a heatsink

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:32 am

Tasty. How did you fix the PSU to the panel? I can only see 2 screw heads. Is that enough or am I missing something?
https://vimeo.com/user2264453
CANNOT DIY. WILL NOT DIY. DO NOT WANT.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:39 am

@andrewF Thanks!

@nerdware Thanks The two bigger power supplies have 4 bolts, the smaller one in front only has two. The bolts on the smaller one are easier to see because there is a lock washer on the outside of the panel. (the chassis has build in nuts) The two larger ones use a nut and lockwasher on the inside so there isn't a need for the external lockwashers.

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 am

Aha, niiice.

Altho its a perfect place to mount it, it seems a shame to hide part of the PSU with a distro board. Nevermind dissasembling the PSU to drill the holes for mounting the distro board.

Still, it looks prettier than my (first) PSU:
All the metalwork was done by my dad, but I supplied all the materials. I had the 5U panel anyway, and it was for a 10U case, so it made sense. I keep the rear lid on, but that panel is so big! I could've probably mounted the distro board flat on panel. Maybe I'll use my other 5U panel for that...

Anyway, thanks. You're giving me ideas for my next PSU. :hihi:

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:49 am

i got one for ya. ;)
Your's is perdier than mine . hahaha
Very nice looking supplies friend! Very nice!

This thing will handle -12V@1.3A, +12V@2.6A , & 5V@3A.
The Amp ratings are usable, not maxed... only 80% of the supply current.
What am i using this for? My Mission 9. Because the rated supply that is included is NOT 1.5A usable. lol no way at all.. those things are probably good for 1Amp if you're lucky. So this is my answer to it. hahaha. It is a nice project that i'm working on though. It's the basic power supply set up i hope to use in my custom shop 12U cases once i design the actual case and ramp up production.

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:33 am

Sorry, John. We're hijacking your thread. :viking:

drewtoothpaste

Post by drewtoothpaste » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:48 am

JLR those look nice, are the bananas mults?

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:49 pm

nerdware wrote:Sorry, John. We're hijacking your thread. :viking:
Yeah... my apologies.. ya can't get me talking about power supplies.. lol

but for real. They look fantastic!

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Man, you do gorgeous work. I'm truly jealous of your DIY skills...and your taste! :tu:

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:13 pm

drewtoothpaste wrote:JLR those look nice, are the bananas mults?
I thought I saw John say they were power outs and ground (ie, +/-12, +/- 15 and gnd) but that was a thread from last year i think.
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't recognize the distro boards; are they DIY?

chromium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by chromium » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Needs more vernier dials! :sb: :goo:

Really clean work... and nice idea mounting the distro boards on the PSU.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:08 pm

nerdware wrote:Altho its a perfect place to mount it, it seems a shame to hide part of the PSU with a distro board. Nevermind dissasembling the PSU to drill the holes for mounting the distro board.
The main reason I like to mount the distro on top of the chassis is to make the power supplies completely modular! :hyper: 8_) Just like the Synth Tech ones, except mine mount as a 19" standard rack panel to the rear of my racks instead of as a 3U or so module to the front. If I have a problem with one or need to switch it to a different rack for whatever reason I can just move it without doing any rework.
nerdware wrote:All the metalwork was done by my dad, but I supplied all the materials. I had the 5U panel anyway, and it was for a 10U case, so it made sense. I keep the rear lid on, but that panel is so big! I could've probably mounted the distro board flat on panel. Maybe I'll use my other 5U panel for that...
You supply looks pretty sweet to me! :tu: I can't quit tell what is going on from the picture though. Is the PSU and a metal 5U panel bolted to a large peice of wood? Is that the back of your rack/cabinet? And . . . :hmm: at first I thought your disto board was inside a ziplock bag! :eek: :lol:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Low-Gain wrote:This thing will handle -12V@1.3A, +12V@2.6A , & 5V@3A.
Thanks for the kind word! And wow! Your "military spec" 8_) supply looks cool! How come the negative rail is only half the capacity of the positive rail? :hmm: I'm assuming that all 4 supplies are the same model . . maybe they are not?

Heh, I DARE you to try to take that supply as a "carry on item" the next time you fly somewhere! :hihi: :omg:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:17 pm

nerdware wrote:Sorry, John. We're hijacking your thread. :viking:
You jacka my thread, I jacka you back . . . . (uuuhhmmm . . .butt no gay stuff :hihi: )

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:25 pm

decaying.sine wrote:
drewtoothpaste wrote:JLR those look nice, are the bananas mults?
I thought I saw John say they were power outs and ground (ie, +/-12, +/- 15 and gnd) but that was a thread from last year i think.
Correct. Back on the ye old Power Supply #2 thread viewtopic.php?t=2628 we talked about this.
They are just an access point for the different power rails in case I need to check voltages or possibly temporarily power a stray module for testing or what ever. Mainl I just think they look cool and for consistancy I've keep putting them on all the new supplies! :lol:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:31 pm

essex sound lab wrote:I'm truly jealous of your DIY skills
Yeah . . . . I be havin' da mad skills! :lol:

See this thread! :oops: viewtopic.php?t=19263

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:33 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
essex sound lab wrote:I'm truly jealous of your DIY skills
Yeah . . . . I be havin' da mad skills! :lol:

See this thread! :oops: viewtopic.php?t=19263
I'd already seen it, but anybody that ends up with a bunch of gorgeous supplies (no matter how he got there!) is miles ahead of me!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:37 pm

idiotboy wrote:I don't recognize the distro boards; are they DIY?
They are the distro boards Paul at Synth Tech uses for his MOTM-950 power supplies! I asked if he would sell me a few since they are perfect for my current supplies (I only have 10 or less modules in each rack). Plus they are less expensive than the larger distros he normally offers for sale! :hyper: :tu: I really think he should add them to his shopping cart as a regular item!

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:38 pm

chromium wrote:Needs more vernier dials! :sb: :goo:
HEY! :hmm: Dat's a purdy tasty idear! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind words!

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:50 pm

JohnLRice wrote:You supply looks pretty sweet to me! :tu:
Thanks!
I can't quit tell what is going on from the picture though. Is the PSU and a metal 5U panel bolted to a large peice of wood?
That's another bit of metal, brushed smooth to make it more attractive. See, you're not the only one thinking about how their gear looks. :stardance:
Is that the back of your rack/cabinet?
Yeah, that's the rear view when the lid is removed. I normally only remove it for inspection etc.
And . . . :hmm: at first I thought your disto board was inside a ziplock bag! :eek: :lol:
It is in a bag in that shot. I later got tired of fiddling about with it, esp as the number of power cables grew.

Here's a better view (or two):
ImageImage
As you can see, there's plenty of room for mounting the distro board...I'm just not sure I want all the MOTM power cables dangling directly over the PSU. The bottom row is MOTM and the top is MU. If I replace the case with a 20U cabinet, I'll have 2 MU rows on top and 2 MOTM below, so I may need to use a utility shelf to support the cable loom. When I get a 2nd PSU, I'll be able to think about a 2nd case...maybe next year.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:41 am

nerdware wrote:As you can see, there's plenty of room for mounting the distro board...I'm just not sure I want all the MOTM power cables dangling directly over the PSU. The bottom row is MOTM and the top is MU. If I replace the case with a 20U cabinet, I'll have 2 MU rows on top and 2 MOTM below, so I may need to use a utility shelf to support the cable loom. When I get a 2nd PSU, I'll be able to think about a 2nd case...maybe next year.
Thanks for the pics and explanations! So, you could always convert that power cable loom into individual power cables and add one or two more distro boards!!! :hyper: See this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=16488

And why would you do that? :hmm: Why, to make your life more difficult and so behind on things that need to get done there is no hope of ever catching up, that's why! :hyper: :hihi: :hmm: :huh: :despair: :sadbanana: :deadbanana:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:06 am

OK, Power Supply #7 is done, working and racked! :hyper: I had to make some compromises due to some stuff I didn't anticipate and . . looking at the pictures I wish I would of done a couple things differently . . .<sigh> . . :roll:

nerdware
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nerdware » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:13 am

Well, I already have a Dotcom/MOTM distro board, as you can see. I could add another, or stick an Oakley Dizzy on one end of the loom, but...some new modules have both connectors. My UEG could be powered from the loom, and the new Oakley module PCBs will have both connectors too. So I might just manage without buying another distro board for a while. By the time I start running out of connectors, I should be thinking about a second case and PSU anyway.

Never mind the DIY option: stick a handful of headers on a stripboard. :trampoline:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”