MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bastl rumburak style DIY Eurorack case (selling this case)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Bastl rumburak style DIY Eurorack case (selling this case)
Dave Mech
Hi all,

Last couple of weeks I've been building this case from scratch and it's finaly finished. I got the idea for the design from the Bastl Rumburak. I wanted a case that I could take with me to gigs, while also being ale to set it up in an angle. The rumburak uses its lid as a stand for the case. Awesome idea smile. But the rumburak is a very tiny case and I wanted a 9u 104hp case. Most 9u 104hp cases that you can take on the road are also very expensive. So I started drawing and building. Thought I'd share the result. Maybe more people would like to build a case like this. It was a great learning experience. If you want any additional info, let me know. I'm also going to release a video within a month on this built. I'll post that here as well. Hope you enjoy and would love to know what you thing of it. And Happy new years eve everyone!

After one layer:

After two layers:

It's alive!

Finished result:

All in all it cost me about 350 euro including some tools I had to buy. Now I only need to fill it up smile. Will take some time, but I have a pretty clear plan on what I want this modular to be.

Cheers!
Dave
AlanP
That looks really, really good!
Dave Mech
AlanP wrote:
That looks really, really good!

Thanks Alan! smile
MAXTHEDOG
Classy! Looks great. applause thumbs up

What's the PSU.

Regards,
MTD.
sanders
I love it, I'd like to know more of the details of the build. Cases/PS are seriously expensive; I make my own as well; but I have very little in the way of woodworking experience. Would love to learn more.

Will this little PS support all 3 rows of 104HP?
ntrm
Very nice case!

Is the plywood 12mm? And everything is just glued up with some dowels? Is it strong enough?
flts
ntrm wrote:
And everything is just glued up with some dowels? Is it strong enough?

"Strong enough for what?" would be the counter-question I guess.

Normal D3 wood glue is surprisingly strong alone if you have clean joints with enough surface and glue, and dowels contribute quite a bit of additional strength. Plenty of furniture is built with those, in the best case durability is better thn using screws to end grain + glue.

If you're looking for something that needs to be thrown roughly in the back of a gig truck and other stuff on top, then you probably need an ATA flightcase, and something to keep the modules safe inside. For normal home and gigging use that kind of structure is definitely durable enough for anything.
flx
Cool idea! How heavy is your case with all the modules?

The Rumburak is also available in 6U and 104hp by the way:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGzRUpTrhcS/?taken-by=tuesdaynightmachines
ntrm
flts wrote:
ntrm wrote:

Good point. I meant the latter.
flts
ntrm wrote:
flts wrote:
ntrm wrote:

Good point. I meant the latter.

To expand on the previous answer a bit,

my anecdotal evidence -tm- suggests, that if you treat your case roughly enough that properly doweled and glued structure from reasonably thick plywood actually breaks down, then you will probably also want your module frame "floating" inside the case anyway. Either that, or pack your modular case to a bigger case with a lot of padding. Chances are that the modules will be the first ones not to like that kinds of shocks / bumps before the actual wooden frame starts falling apart.

(Real world mileage may vary, I can't claim to have toured the world with Eurorack cases...)
ntrm
flts wrote:

if you treat your case roughly enough that properly doweled and glued structure from reasonably thick plywood actually breaks down, then you will probably also want your module frame "floating" inside the case anyway. Either that, or pack your modular case to a bigger case with a lot of padding. Chances are that the modules will be the first ones not to like that kinds of shocks / bumps before the actual wooden frame starts falling apart.

Another good point. Seems I should take my thumbs out of *** and put the case together. And not overthink.

Thanks!
Dave Mech
Totally missed the new reactions and questions, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the positive reactions everyone!

it's 12mm plywood, and the case is and feels very sturdy. As flts explained very well, the modules probably will break before the case does wink. It is quite heavy. It's going to be a while before I fill it up completely, but I estimate it will way around 13kg in total when I'm done. It now weights 10kg. In hindsight I would've gone with 9mm plywood to make it a bit lighter.

The psu I use is the Meanwell RT-65B which should be able to handle 9u 104hp depending on the modules. I'm not worried that I'll max it out. It was quite a lot of work to build having had no woodworking experience before this. Not sure how many hours. If you want to diy a case, take your time at every step of the way.

I'm going to record a video where I go through the process of building it. A case like this prebuild would cost way more new than I spend building my own. Going off of the rumburacks I'd say around 700 euro? But as with every diy project it's quite the time investment smile and time is expensive as well. I'm glad I did it though as it was a great learning experience and it's exactly the case I wanted.

I expect to record the video in March about how I built it and will try to explain as much in detail as I can, or share the build plans for instance if anybody is interested.

If anybody has any specific questions let me know. I'll answer them I the video. My channel is: www.youtube.com/c/davemech

Cheers!
Dave Mech
Hope it's OK that I post this vdeo here as well. Here's a video on how I built this case. Curious to know what you think of the video. I hope it van help/inspire others to go the same route. In the description on YouTube there's a link to the electrical BoM in case you're interested.

Dave Mech
Because of recent changes in musical focus I decided to sell all modules and this diy case as well. Surely will miss it but I hope someone else will enjoy it more than I will.

https://youtu.be/ypuVUgE6Xvk

It's on ebay in case you're interested.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1