MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
sduck
It's time! Sorry, nothing from me currently, I'm in the middle of several large things. Hopefully something to show soon...
search64
Let's kick this off then...

BOOM!
Jbrooks_il
Mmm, mm, m!
Picard
A straightforward MIDI splitter for small jam sessions.
40106-based and internal power supply - no forgettable wall wart!
Pretty custom 3D printed case.
psykon
First build of 2018. Starting small, but it's my first smd build smile

Next up: Ripples. ...and this backlog...

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Rex Coil 7
search64 wrote:
Let's kick this off then...

BOOM!
Wanna give any of the readers some idea what this is? Or does it just go "BOOM!" ? (seems like a lot of effort for something that only goes ~boom~).
batchas
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wanna give any of the readers some idea what this is? Or does it just go "BOOM!" ? (seems like a lot of effort for something that only goes ~boom~).

O+C = ornament & crime
search64
Seeing as Ornament & Crime is so popular right now, I thought everyone would know what it is. My mistake!

So yeah, it's sort of a Swiss army knife utility module, based on a Teensy processor. Shift Register, Turing Machines, four separate quantizers, quadrature LFO... that sort of thing.
the bad producer
Oh bugger, have we started this year already zombie I still have lots from last year Dead Banana

Rex Coil 7
the bad producer wrote:
Oh bugger, have we started this year already zombie I still have lots from last year Dead Banana
Ugh ....

.... ain't that a bitch.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I built something.

This is a eurorack-format hex VC crossfader, which I call the HeXFader. This was a "one-off" build for a fellow wiggler. I completely redesigned my VC Xfader circuit for this build (and other applications) so that I can now get two crossfaders out of a single 2164 chip. Hence, each of the three PCBs attached to the panel PCB contains two crossfader circuits. The gain-limiting circuitry is identical to that on the (now discontinued) Intellijel uFade. A new feature of these new Xfaders is that the B input is normalled to the inverse of the A input for ring-modulation purposes. Setting the CV pot to 50% (12:00) gives unclipped unity gain for ideal ring mod.

I had to learn how to mill slots in sheet metal for this build, using my drill press. It wasn't that hard (once I got the drill table tight enough that it wouldn't move and cause my slot to veer off course)! I got it all right the first time. I actually had three panel blanks cut, but only needed one. It turns out that the mounting slots are a little wide (I used a single 1/8" end-mill for all the slots). If I do any more eurorack modules, I'll buy a slightly smaller end-mill for the mounting slots. The customer may need to use washers.

If anyone wants one of these, please let me know. I might actually be persuaded to build another one (but it'll cost ya!). I worked on this one for a month, so I'd like to build another one if only to put all that experience to use.

Rex Coil 7
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I built something.
Yea! ... Boy I'll say you did! Hot Damn that thing looks wonderful.

Now I can see everything that you were frettin' over all the way through this one Dave. The way some of the AMP (Molex?) connectors are mechanically ~stressed~, the "drill press forced into mill duty" issues ... all of it! It all makes sense now.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
... I had to learn how to mill slots in sheet metal for this build, using my drill press. It wasn't that hard ...

thumbs up

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
... A new feature of these new Xfaders is that the B input is normalled to the inverse of the A input for ring-modulation purposes. Setting the CV pot to 50% (12:00) gives unclipped unity gain for ideal ring mod.

All I saw was "bla bla bla Rind Mod .. bla bla bla Ring Mod .. bla bla Ring Mod" ... haahaa! I do like my ring mods! DAMNED NICE job there .. well worth the effort and education? I'd say!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
... If anyone wants one of these, please let me know.
We may end up discussing an order. Depends on how well (or poorly) my own ring modulator system ends up working out (no threat to yours at all, it's just a cluster of passive Ken Stones).

Nice Job Man!

cool

(Once more for posterity) .....

imcmahon
I overdid it a bit ordering mutable clone bits... more pcbs enroute from amazingsynth, a batch of rings and streams boards I ordered to try out a board house that was running a deal, and enough parts to build 14 modules w00t

Rex Coil 7
imcmahon wrote:
I overdid it a bit ordering mutable clone bits... more pcbs enroute from amazingsynth, a batch of rings and streams boards I ordered to try out a board house that was running a deal, and enough parts to build 14 modules w00t

Needs more cowbell.
strange tales
Well this is by far the most points I've had to solder. Well worth it though.

imcmahon
First two done!

[/img]
Moog$FooL$
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I built something.

This is a eurorack-format hex VC crossfader, which I call the HeXFader. This was a "one-off" build for a fellow wiggler. I completely redesigned my VC Xfader circuit for this build (and other applications) so that I can now get two crossfaders out of a single 2164 chip. Hence, each of the three PCBs attached to the panel PCB contains two crossfader circuits. The gain-limiting circuitry is identical to that on the (now discontinued) Intellijel uFade. A new feature of these new Xfaders is that the B input is normalled to the inverse of the A input for ring-modulation purposes. Setting the CV pot to 50% (12:00) gives unclipped unity gain for ideal ring mod.

I had to learn how to mill slots in sheet metal for this build, using my drill press. It wasn't that hard (once I got the drill table tight enough that it wouldn't move and cause my slot to veer off course)! I got it all right the first time. I actually had three panel blanks cut, but only needed one. It turns out that the mounting slots are a little wide (I used a single 1/8" end-mill for all the slots). If I do any more eurorack modules, I'll buy a slightly smaller end-mill for the mounting slots. The customer may need to use washers.

If anyone wants one of these, please let me know. I might actually be persuaded to build another one (but it'll cost ya!). I worked on this one for a month, so I'd like to build another one if only to put all that experience to use.

woah woah woah yowie zowie!! very nice job. thumbs up
d.simon
cfoge video equations eurorack edition (with builtin monitor option).
pretty straightforward, but still managed to have a little debug session - I was missing a SMD resistor on the front.

In some sections the panel is triple layer - bamboo, thin black plastic, and glitter perspex:
Rex Coil 7
This is a Synthesizers.Com Q113 Mixer that's been repanelled, the panel is a Front Panel Express item that I cooked up, as is the "warning" placard.

I wanted a Minimoog type VCO mixer in that I have the ability to turn each channel on and off with a toggle switch. A big toggle switch.

So each black knob corresponds with each toggle switch (Left to right ... 1st black knob is VCO1 volume and 1st toggle switch is VCO1 On/Off ... carry this theme across all four VCO input channels).

I also wanted Bus Feedback Overdrive for the two busses that the common Synthesizers.Com mixer boards use. So, the left RED knob is "Drive" for bus#1 (VCO1 and VCO2) .... the right RED knob is "Drive" for bus#2 (VCO3 and VCO4).

Panel is coated in an industrial coating made for lining the beds of pickup trucks, I like the textured look of it. The "placard" is raw aluminum that Front Panel Express did the lettering engraving on. I did the lettering infill myself, then applied clear coat on top of that.

This module is heavy, what with the stainless hardware, the mounting bolts used to secure the 3mm thick "placard" to the 3mm thick panel, as well as the 4 large toggle switches and their stainless steel flat washers. Has a very nice "solid" feel to it.

You see no "input" jacks because this main mixer module is normalized to the 4 VCOs 'round back. The two outboard-most jacks (far left and far right) are a couple of AUX inputs that have no level controls and are set to unity gain.

This module mounts in the top-most row of my rig and sits in the center of that row. So it's like a center piece.

applause

EDIT: It only just now hit me that if I were to tire of the black coated finish, since the panel's design is symmetric I can simply disassemble it, flip the panel over to the shiny side, and reassemble it with the wet sanded aluminum side showing.

Yeeeeaaa ...... I thought of that on purpose ...... designed it that way ...... yyeeeeYUP ...... sure I did ..... you betchya!

meh no.
trip
I wanted more nlc neurons in a smaller space, and to learn about pcb design - so I made this:

It's two neurons with attenuverters on the outputs. The neurons can be coupled with the switches and the attenuverters can be used on their own by breaking the jack normalisation on the inputs.
roglok
the bad producer wrote:

mind boggling! dizzy
morocco_dave
I started this thing last year but finally got it into a proper box just last week. It was finished and in use, but in a plastic takeaway box, for about 3 months prior to that hihi

It's a sort-of gate sequencer, for MIDI.

Video here

Full deets, build docs, pics, etc are all on my website:
https://wp.me/p5VQX0-13X
Cedworth
A lot of this was 2017, but the two PMFoundations modules in the second row were just finished yesterday. That's why I haven't put the sticker on the front panel or given them knobs or even screwed them into the rail yet. I don't like that the CV inputs on the filter don't have an attenuator so I made one.

I've got the rest of the top row sitting on the project desk, it's a Rampage and an Elements. Then I start on the wooden case on the right.

flab
finish 4 MI-braids yesterday- here all calibrated and tested-first builds for 2018 after moving flat and country. Those are a great companion for my analogue VCO collection- just need to callibrate my hexinverter midi2cv to get all of them nicely singing. productive 2018 to everyone
Cedworth
flab wrote:
finish 4 MI-braids yesterday- here all calibrated and tested-first builds for 2018 after moving flat and country. Those are a great companion for my analogue VCO collection- just need to callibrate my hexinverter midi2cv to get all of them nicely singing. productive 2018 to everyone

Nice.

So, do you have to do anything differently as far as components to use the red display, or is it a simple drop in replacement situation?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 1 of 31