MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Author The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
flab
It is a drop in replacement, but you have control for the alphanumeric brightness through the firmware settings,
AlanP

I tried ordering an aluminium pcb for this panel as a test -- I don't like mounting 1/4" jacks in fibreglass pcb-panels, no matter how thick they are. I think it came out fairly well, although the silkscreen and soldermask isn't very thick.

It's the CGS60 Stomp Box Adaptor, but with NO wiring needed smile I also added a pot to control the Send level (simple voltage divider.)

The Yusynth Comparator in 8HP smile (Yes, I don't like doing wiring!) Somewhat embarrassingly, I forgot to add bypass caps, but those are easily patched onto the back.
LetterBeacon
These look great! Which PCB fabricator did you use?
AlanP
Seeed, IIRC.
autodafe
1) Ardutouch

2) Gynko Grains

3) Befaco Slew Limiter

4) Protoype Arudino-based "VCO"

jwhtn

So, something really went wrong on my library's laser cutter tonight (or, more specifically, something that I did with the cutter was wrong), and I had a ton of flareups, leaving my panels all charred and disheveled. Now, I'm starting to think I dig it.

Anyway, on the far right is a Barton VCA/MIX unit, which is my first completed module aside from the Case Power Mini behind the scenes. The rest will come along shortly as I was mostly waiting to get working panels in place before soldering up the jacks and pots.

Case is 6mm acrylic, from the THX2112 plans, expanded out to 79hp because that's how big my sheet of acrylic was. Panels are 3mm clear acrylic, painted on the back and etched through the paint to form the graphics. They really did look slick, in a non-post-apocalyptic way, in my testing. Ah well.[img][/img]
Rex Coil 7
jwhtn wrote:
.... So, something really went wrong on my library's laser cutter tonight....
Holy shit, your public library has a friggin laser cutter?

Ours has books.
Rex Coil 7
autodafe wrote:

3) Befaco Slew Limiter

BEEF TACO!!! (it's a ~thing~ ... not to worry). Nicely done!

autodafe wrote:

4) Protoype Arudino-based "VCO"

Sooo ... what .... did you chew that hole in the panel? lol
autodafe
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sooo ... what .... did you chew that hole in the panel? lol

yeah it's terrible I know, it's for the pushbutton ;-)
just got some new dremel drill bits to make a new one, this was just a 1st prototype anyway
jwhtn
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
jwhtn wrote:
.... So, something really went wrong on my library's laser cutter tonight....
Holy shit, your public library has a friggin laser cutter?

Ours has books.

Lol. Yeah, ours has a little makerspace thing with 3D printers, a CNC mill, and a laser cutter that has given me great results, in the past. And, um, emergent design, in the present. nanners
bleich_4
Hello, I have built the stripboard 808 hi hat circuit (see link) and was wondering if someone could point me to the place in the circuit that deals with decay time for the closed hat sound. Mine seems to be triggering with quite a long decay and i would like the snappy sound found on the original machine.

Vero : http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/tr_808_hi_hats_stripboard_t op_view_v2_169.jpg

Thanks!
Rex Coil 7
bleich_4 wrote:
Hello, I have built the stripboard 808 hi hat circuit (see link) and was wondering if someone could point me to the place in the circuit that deals with decay time for the closed hat sound. Mine seems to be triggering with quite a long decay and i would like the snappy sound found on the original machine.

Vero : http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/tr_808_hi_hats_stripboard_t op_view_v2_169.jpg

Thanks!
You will be far better off posting your question as a thread within the Music Tech DIY forum rather than just a post within a DIY "show off" thread. This is more about "look what I made!" rather than specific answers regarding specific modules.

So present your question as a separate troubleshooting thread, you'll get more help that way!

cool
JohnS_AZ
I was lucky enough to score a Hades module while Dreadbox was dipping their toes into the kit business (they quickly pulled it out and ran away confused ) so spent the past few nights putting it together. Was a great kit and a fun built. Sorry they're not doing more kits.

[/img]
bmoren
rev1 of a pseudo secret mixer project:

Rex Coil 7
bmoren wrote:

I wonder if mounting the jacks in the little 2hp panel first, then soldering them to the PCB second would prevent the panel from bending during assembly? I would guess it's tough enough as it is to drill all of the holes in it without bending the heck out of it.
bmoren
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I wonder if mounting the jacks in the little 2hp panel first, then soldering them to the PCB second would prevent the panel from bending during assembly? I would guess it's tough enough as it is to drill all of the holes in it without bending the heck out of it.

I mounted the jacks to the panel first, then soldered them. It's just that the whole thing is a misaligned mess because I haphazardly laid out the pcb and another collaborator laid out the panel totally separate. But! that's why its just rev1 This is fun!
Misk
My first DIY build of 2018, and my first DIY build ever! Zlob Modular Dual VCA:

Only the top vca works, and neither of the LEDs are lighting up, but it's still a fine start for someone who's only ever made cables before w00t

I'm excited though! I figured all my modules would blow up or something when I plugged it in and powered up, and the fact that it partially works is still a success for me! I even burned one of the thru-holes on the pcb.. which could be the problem. Regardless, my next kit, a befaco mixer, now looks much much easier because of this, and I've learned that DIY modules are much more forgiving than I had thought! glad to be on board!

edit: aaaand it's upside down. not sure how to fix that, as uploading it upside down doesn't flip it right-side up. oh well.
billyhologram
bmoren wrote:

Now that looks awfully familiar.
sixbyseven
After 350 hours spread out over a year, I finally finished my hexagon shaped modular. It used almost every MFOS circuit, Ray designed for a modular synth, that was availible. I also included circuits from Thomas Henry, Yusynth, and Barton musical Instruments. Room for 30, 3-3/4" wide x 8-3/4" modules.

I have 28 installed now. It can hang from the ceiling or be mounted on a heavy duty speaker stand. It is intended for stage demonstrations and performance work.

The image is showing the lid being held up by the synths hanger and sitting on the stand.

Here is the write up:

http://sixbyseven.ca/the-tangerine-dream-large-format-modular-analog-s ynthesizer/

FetidEye
love love
memes_33
finished this lil guy last week:

ashleym
A lot of good, inspirational stuff here!!

Loving the hex unit. I am a big fan of designs that break away from the traditions.

Interesting labelling in the 230 follower above, clever the way the pulse response switches have the transient and sustained wording at each end of their row. Clever
Jarno
AlanP wrote:

I tried ordering an aluminium pcb for this panel as a test -- I don't like mounting 1/4" jacks in fibreglass pcb-panels, no matter how thick they are. I think it came out fairly well, although the silkscreen and soldermask isn't very thick.

It's the CGS60 Stomp Box Adaptor, but with NO wiring needed smile I also added a pot to control the Send level (simple voltage divider.)

Yeah, the insertion force of those 1/4" jacks can be pretty high, especially with some male jacks. Plenty of thread on them though, so you could double up on the frontpanel, the jacks and pots have plenty of thread, maybe compensate by pushing them back a little ways (the 1/8" jacks do not have so much thread length).
I did this for my monitor controller with XLR outs, the insertion force on those is also pretty high. And FR4 as frontpanel material is actually pretty stiff, because of the glass content, it's just that the regular PCB thickness of 1.6mm is pretty thin when used as a structural part.
DEEMARKAY
jwhtn wrote:

So, something really went wrong on my library's laser cutter tonight (or, more specifically, something that I did with the cutter was wrong), and I had a ton of flareups, leaving my panels all charred and disheveled. Now, I'm starting to think I dig it.
[img][/img]

very cool! gotta make sure to save those "wrong" settings then.
reminds me of bubble gum machines in the street, where the acrylic window has been burned a hole into in order to rob the machine.

How is that labeling done, etched or behind the panel? Can't quite tell from the pictures.
jwhtn
sixbyseven wrote:

This is frickin bonkers. I'm in love.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Page 2 of 34