MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Author The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
jwhtn
DEEMARKAY wrote:

very cool! gotta make sure to save those "wrong" settings then.
reminds me of bubble gum machines in the street, where the acrylic window has been burned a hole into to rob the machine.

How is that labeling done, etched or behing the panel? Can't quite tell from the pictures.

Yeah, I kinda like the back-corner-of-the-shady-arcade aesthetic. Suits my music, I suppose.

The panels are clear acrylic, which I painted on the back side, and then etched through the paint. When it comes out as intended, there's a very pro-looking jeweled kind of effect, where the graphics are recessed and sort of 3D-looking. It's a cool technique, but it clearly needs some refining...
PWM
Made a Sync/Trigger input for the QFG. Great module even better! smile

Jarno
First module of the year, and finally have a proper place where I can solder (since we moved almost a year ago).
A ring modulator using Edcox XS1100 transformers I still had from a preamp which did not quite materialise.
The diodes are NOS germanium, I bought a pack of ten which were matched, but not close enough to my liking so I selected a quad which were a bit tighter.
To the best of my knowledge the XS1100 is meant to be driven with a discrete opamp like an API 2520, so I add two output stages (opamp with BD139-BD140 follower pair).
They are normalled to the ringmod, but I can also use them separately for experimenting with slinkys and plate reverbs grin

The styling was inspired by an analog studio which I frequent, full of old 50-60 measurement equipment (the guy running that studio is an early electronic music expert).
The panel is, let's say, not quite fitting the width of the module smile

The low-end out of this thing is quite amazing!
dot matrix madness
Top line of the panel should read "Analoger Multiplizierer/" (smart-assing...) hihi
Must weigh half a ton. thumbs up
Jarno
grin

Thanks! Next time round I'll ask one of "ze Dzjermans" around here to proofread. smile
But yeah, it does weigh a ton, I wonder if the acrylic will slowly bend, because of creep. Also, one needs to angle it between the two rack rails because it sticks out in all directions, so you need to have about 30HP free to be able to mount it. Regardless, it sounds great. And if anyone here wants one of those tiny boards with the output stage, let me know (headphone amp, plate reverb driver, reverb spring driver, monitor amp, lightbulb driver, relay driver etc etc).
JanneI
Hi,

I finally finished my Moog Prodigy clone project and here's some pics. It's based on http://sigmambient.blogspot.fi/2016/05/moog-prodigy-is-alive.html and I added Fatar 4-octave keybed and midi implant. Woodwork and panel design is custom. Sounds great and looks awesome! smile

[/img]
Rex Coil 7
Holy Crap .... sooper nice work on the Prodigy clone! I'd bet the front panel cost a mint!

Absolutely excellent piece of dreamsmanship brought to life in craftsmanship.

Diggin it! thumbs up Rockin' Banana!
wiperactive
Beautiful work!

If Moog had released a late 1984 deluxe limited edition this could have been it.
Rex Coil 7
JanneI wrote:
Hi,

I finally finished my Moog Prodigy clone project ...
[/img]
What type of toggle switches are those?

And, is there a FPD "object" (if you will) for the surrounding holes for those toggles?

Those toggles look very similar to the ones Korg uses on various models within their catalog (Volcas, Mono/Mini/Pro-logue, others) and I'd be interested to know what they are and what size Front Panel Designer hole is required.

As I said in my previous post about this project .... bad ass synth, Holmes! It absolutely deserves a name plate ....

thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Jarno wrote:
First module of the year, and finally have a proper place where I can solder (since we moved almost a year ago).
A ring modulator using Edcox XS1100 transformers
Safe to say you typo'd "Edcox" but meant to type "Edcor" instead? Nice transformers! I've been wanting to do one using a pair of their WSM series transformers, like what member *CZ Rider used in his ...

LINK to Edcor WSM Series ($11.00 each) - 10k:10k (1:1) = http://www.edcorusa.com/wsm_series

IMAGE = Member *fluxmonkey DIY'd ring mod, these are WSM series Edcor transformers:

I just used the stock CGS/Modular Addict "passive ring mod" PCB with the regular called for Mouser transformers, but I added sockets for the diodes so as to be able to test out different ones. Aside from using Germanium diodes, I found a preference for using square LEDs as diodes in my own ring mod circuits. I use a toggle switch to A/B between ring mod with Germs, and ring mod with LEDs. I'm happy, but I definitely want to try one with better transformers (better frequency response, the little Mouser ones have a top end of only about 6.5khz or so). Edcor WSM series are advertised to be 20hz to 20khz/ .. the ones you used are advertised to be 10hz to 50khz (!!! DAYUM !!!) however they're also more than twice the money at $25.00 each! I'll have to think about that, I'd need FOUR of those ... $100.00 bucks worth of transformers!

LINK to the Edcor XS1100 ($25.00 each) = http://www.edcorusa.com/xs1100

Here's my double decker (I have two of this entire assembly in my synth, one for each 2 VCO voice x 2 voices):

Jarno wrote:

The panel is, let's say, not quite fitting the width of the module smile

The low-end out of this thing is quite amazing!
You absolutely win the "Repurposing Old Fuddup Synth Panels as Stooge Plates" award! Nice job in using up your older projects to create an all new one!

thumbs up
Jarno
Thanks Rex, yes, "Edcor" is what I meant to type smile

I have the WSM transformers as well, but not 10k:10k, I needed something roughly 1:1 so that's why I used the XS1100's (and needed something beefy to drive them).

The bracket I made from a bit of scrap aluminium at work, not a synth (the horror!) grin
Rex Coil 7
Jarno wrote:
Thanks Rex, yes, "Edcor" is what I meant to type smile

I have the WSM transformers as well, but not 10k:10k, I needed something roughly 1:1 so that's why I used the XS1100's (and needed something beefy to drive them).

The bracket I made from a bit of scrap aluminium at work, not a synth (the horror!) grin
Meh ... you still did a nice job of recycling old stuff! Good on ya!

thumbs up
bonzai
Got two little projects on the weekend:
1. MTM Spring mk2 kit build (photo is obvious, so I leave it out wink )
2. Shrunk my diy Poti expander from 3 to 2 HP (this time in alu, looks better next to the Batumi) and did some re-org in the case.

Now I got 8 HP left again - not sure yet, how to fill it though... smile

JanneI
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

What type of toggle switches are those?

13mm width
10mm height
3mm corner radius

that's what I used, pretty good if not perfect. http://www.banzaimusic.com/ has those 3-step switches but I had to purchase those on-on switches from syntaur or some other retro parts shop..

I love how this thing looks, but I got to say it did come with a price tag. Nevertheless, next I'll be doing the same for crowminius, custom case and panels...all for the price of 10 Behringer D's ;-)
slaughterhousesam

16 stage cgs programmer, stage skip/refuse switch mods, touch keyboard (works *very* nicely), pair of cgs bi directional routers filling out the top row
emmaker
slaughterhousesam wrote:

16 stage cgs programmer, stage skip/refuse switch mods, touch keyboard (works *very* nicely), pair of cgs bi directional routers filling out the top row

I've been thinking about building an implementation of the touch keypbard but really haven't seen anyone comment on how well it works.

slaughterhouseam could you comment in more detail how the touch keyboard works especially the touch/pressure aspects of it?

Thanks
Jay S.
Rex Coil 7
emmaker wrote:
the touch keypbard ....

Thanks
Jay S.
I love how your brain TOTALLY locked up and got stuck between "keyboard" and "keypad". Haahaa!!!

keypbard ..... fekking precious. lol lol

.... happens to all of us at one time or another ....

thumbs up
emmaker
Sometime accidents work for the better.

hihi applause
Jarno
slaughterhousesam wrote:

Let me guess, almost no wiring? grin
Looks great man, pretty epic project.
Luka
My ttsh and arp seq now having matching cases

I just need to source a dc-dc converter for my sequencer, some fixings, and some a base plate for the seq case.

Caseyjholmes
First build of 2018 completed.
slaughterhousesam
emmaker wrote:
slaughterhousesam wrote:

I've been thinking about building an implementation of the touch keypbard but really haven't seen anyone comment on how well it works.

slaughterhouseam could you comment in more detail how the touch keyboard works especially the touch/pressure aspects of it?

Thanks
Jay S.

i can only talk about how well it integrates with the cgs programmer, i.e. its individual gate outs just feed the stage select inputs, and only the combined pressure out is used, but given that, its really good - very light touch will activate a stage, brushing the finger along the full length give nice sweeps up and down the stages. the pressure will take some practice to fully gel with, but its very controllable at the moment, albeit with half the voltage range between what id call a very light touch and a normal touch, some actual press needed to get it uptp full, and the strip itself feels really nice. recommended
slaughterhousesam
Jarno wrote:
slaughterhousesam wrote:

Let me guess, almost no wiring? grin
Looks great man, pretty epic project.

ugh, wiring. thats been a large chunk of the weekend. programmer boards take a lot of point to point wiring out, but start adding stage switches and the keyboard and its all back again...
cygmu
slaughterhousesam wrote:

ugh, wiring. thats been a large chunk of the weekend. programmer boards take a lot of point to point wiring out, but start adding stage switches and the keyboard and its all back again...

You work quickly! When I made my sequencer with the touch keyboard I was wiring for weeks, it seemed. I want to add switches for selectable gate on-off but I don't have the heart to open it up again.
slaughterhousesam
cygmu wrote:
slaughterhousesam wrote:

You work quickly! When I made my sequencer with the touch keyboard I was wiring for weeks, it seemed. I want to add switches for selectable gate on-off but I don't have the heart to open it up again.

i was thinking of gate switches as well, but im going to be building a pair of gate sequencers to handle that kind of thing, and already have the klee gate buses which can be pressed into service quite nicely. in the end i settled for dropping in a pair of routers - now i can route a row to muting the clock for envelope gates, or switching between clock divisions for ratchety shenanigans, or all other kinds of gate manipulations. and i was running out of room smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Page 3 of 34