MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Author The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
thotgamma
dhaillant wrote:
thotgamma wrote:
I interested in modular and decided to build that in last year.
I had only digital circuit skills so it was hard way but finally I built some fundamental modules.
I have no friend who interested in modulars so I post image here.
I would be glad if you could reply for me. thanks.

よおこそ!
これは美しなシンセサイザですよ。
かんぺき!

Welcome!
Your synth is beatiful!

thank you for your welcoming words and japanese! ありがとう!
I also checked your youtube videos. Your wooden face plate is cute and that is nice sound.
dhaillant
thotgamma wrote:

(...)
mostly yes. I copied some schematic but some part of schematic are my original.

attached image is my main board of vco(old version) currently I working on new version of it.

Your VCO looks intersting. Do you have more details on this please?
It's a fun mix of Surface Mount Technologie and Though Hole components lol

Also, are your front panels PCB made?
thotgamma
dhaillant wrote:

Your VCO looks intersting. Do you have more details on this please?
It's a fun mix of Surface Mount Technologie and Though Hole components lol

Also, are your front panels PCB made?

of course!
The most important part of this is "not using tempco resistor" I use heater instead. I use MAT14 which is Analog Devices's Matched Monolithic Quad Transistor for exponential circuit. Two transistors for exponential, one for temp sensor, the last one for a Heater. This is Monolithic IC so very good for this usage, I think. But this chip is a little bit expensive so I looking for alternative.

Also, this Beta board has particular pin headers. I place pinsockets to interface board as the same place. and plugged it(stupid)

(In my latest version I'll remove these stupid connectors)

> It's a fun mix of Surface Mount Technologie and Though Hole components
Axial Resistor is so cute isn't it? hihi
I have varias axial resistors but chip one are not so much.
I have to adjust some values so I choose axial one for beta version.

> Also, are your front panels PCB made?
Yes! I draw some design in Illustrator and exported to DXF. And import it to eagle cad. My face panel has no copper pattern (except connector) so it is strange to create it with PCB, i think. But in fact this is the cheapest and handiest way to create face panel like this. But I still searching the other way.

Also, there are more images/movies in my tumblr page. (But recently not updated. I mainly use twitter. I'll update tumblr soon...)

https://thotgamma.tumblr.com/
pld
Not really sure where it's headed, and it's not super exciting to look at, but FWIW here's an o_C powered by an STM32F405. I had the chips lying around, had written a screen driver for Fxxx anyway, so tried a quick I-wonder-if layout to see what would be feasible, and it escalated from there...

There are pros and cons: It has way more memory and is faster (and FPU!) but of course a daughterboard alone can't solve the inherent PCB limitation of the SPI bus being shared between DAC/screen. The F4 ADCs are, well, not great but there are some expansion possibiliies -- serial (MIDI?), I2C, USB, SPI flash...
Low-level screen and main IO drivers are up & running with an update rate of 24KHz (instead of 16.7) thanks to the faster SPI (~30KHz max which doesn't leave much processing time). I might make a compatibility layer to port the original apps (although I'd rather rewrite them) but... new things are more exciting, so it might just remain an interesting test smile
MickMad
Hey people!

I'll show my build too smile

I made my own 2x3U 84HP rack and I'm filling it with my own designs, from left to right you can see the CORE (Teensy 3.6 based multitool), AVCO (AS3340 based oscillator), AVCF (AS3320 based low pass filter), 2AVCA (AS3360 based dual VCA), PM (a passive mult).

I also made a dedicated topic about the modules here in the DIY section in case you'd like to know more smile

I have yet to fill the whole rack, the photo above is the upper row and I got around 19-20HP left still; I am going to build a MFOS SLMS in Eurorack format as made by David Haillant (pretty cool guy), which is going to take 33Hp out of the bottom row, and I still got some prototypes left to build (like 3 more VCOs, 4 filters, VCAs, oh also some active mults and passive mults) and part of them will end up in the rack too.

About the case itself, it's plywood held together by screws smile 20mm thick plywood, as said before it's 6Ux84HP, rack depth is 200mm. I used a LOT of 5 mm x 35mm self-tapping screws to keep it all together, and it hosts a Doepfer A-100 DIY kit with just one bus board (I bought it "used" at a bargain price). I still have to properly sand it and paint it (a cool matte black), it'll happen some day, hopefully BEFORE I'll have to show my modules around smile
dhaillant
Excellent job Mick! applause
soup
NLC Sauce of Unce in banana frac...

Bananallama!
thotgamma
Wow! Your work is so pro, Mike!
I love this green face. Is this PCB? Your design on face panels with copper plane is really nice and good idea.
MickMad
thotgamma wrote:
Wow! Your work is so pro, Mike!
I love this green face. Is this PCB? Your design on face panels with copper plane is really nice and good idea.

Hey there! Yeah, that's PCB, I did this because when I order prototype PCBs I also order the panels and it's cheaper, also because it looks neat! Production panels will be thicker and with a better finish too, so it would be expensive, but for small DIY runs, a panel made with PCB is surely cost effective.

dhaillant wrote:
Excellent job Mick! applause

Thanks buddy smile I'll share a pic here when I build your SLMS (soon)
bonzai
Nice builds as always! smile

I finished the µClouds from ModularAddict ("miniClouds") recently.
Of course it did not work first time, because of some overseen solder bridges between the STM pins. The debugging took me quite a while, also because the MA pcb layout is slightly different than the original µClouds layout, so beware! The chips in the dense part at the bottom are flipped compared to the original.
But now it's running happily (I think), it makes sounds at least and seems to do the right thing. lol

forestcaver
pld wrote:
Not really sure where it's headed, and it's not super exciting to look at, but FWIW here's an o_C powered by an STM32F405. I had the chips lying around, had written a screen driver for Fxxx anyway, so tried a quick I-wonder-if layout to see what would be feasible, and it escalated from there...

There are pros and cons: It has way more memory and is faster (and FPU!) but of course a daughterboard alone can't solve the inherent PCB limitation of the SPI bus being shared between DAC/screen. The F4 ADCs are, well, not great but there are some expansion possibiliies -- serial (MIDI?), I2C, USB, SPI flash...
Low-level screen and main IO drivers are up & running with an update rate of 24KHz (instead of 16.7) thanks to the faster SPI (~30KHz max which doesn't leave much processing time). I might make a compatibility layer to port the original apps (although I'd rather rewrite them) but... new things are more exciting, so it might just remain an interesting test smile

Looks really interesting.... just wondering why you have so many stm32f405s and happen to have screen drivers :-) hah hah... It’s an exciting chip for the price...
Revok
Finally got my little 4U setup going. I wanted something that could sit on my coffee table and not need anything else. We'll see how long I go before I get a bigger table...

Here's a pretty noisy recording of the patch in the photos. Something's going on with audio input on my computer and Audacity's noise reduction can only do so much. I've never had a DUSG type module so I've been having a ton of fun driving this thing. The attenuverter for the fall time on the top slew limiter is the only knob tweaked in this recording. Reverb and delay are from the Field FX. The same sequence is played throughout the recording from the Keystep. Fade in and fade out are from Audacity.
mome rath
Revok wrote:
Finally got my little 4U setup going. I wanted something that could sit on my coffee table and not need anything else. We'll see how long I go before I get a bigger table...

beautiful, great job
SlightlyNasty
Hey, I recognise those!

Looking great, Revok!
hox3d
Did you paint that R*S PSU ?

It's beautiful, anyway.
Revok
Thanks, all!

The PSU is the stock aluminum but I have been considering getting it powder coated white. The outer shell is a pretty tight though.
cygmu
What are those patch cables and how do you like them? They look pretty.
Revok
This is my first time using banana cables outside of test equipment so I don't have anything to compare to but they've been good.

I'm using solderless Pomona plugs. The shoulders are solid plastic. For some reason I was expecting them to be rubber but the plastic has grown on me. It's nice for directing the cables. They also have a version without the shoulder.

The wire is BNTECHGO silicone 16AWG in white. It's not as flexible as the Pomona silicone wire but Pomona only has red and black. Keep in mind that the standard stack up Pomana cables use PVC insulation so this is still very flexible by comparison. The silicone wire is the stuff they use on their test leads. It's pretty inexpensive though and arrived in 1 day from amazon. They also have every color that the Pomona plugs come in. Not sure if they all match though.
cygmu
Thanks!
hox3d
Nice setup, really.

I was thinking about cable handling: either you have them above the controls ("standard" Buchla Pomona cable) or in between the pots (your way).

I actually like it a lot, do you think it makes control easier?
Just another rookie
Quick little build to quench the thirst!
Took me about an hour.

And just for fun.
Spot the obvious error
Bonus points for the minor boo boo (ocd issue)

JakoGreyshire
Just another rookie wrote:
Quick little build to quench the thirst!
Took me about an hour.

And just for fun.
Spot the obvious error
Bonus points for the minor boo boo (ocd issue)

Those electrolytics are huge... Yeah?
Just another rookie
Yes they are!
But they’re to spec.
djthopa
4 independent sequencers with 8 steps, lenght between 1 to 8 steps, external and pushbutton reset. Sequencers can be muted.

First panel ordered from pcbway.

Quite happy with the result, even though panels should have been black with white text, oh well!

thotgamma
wow, Front panel design is so cool! I really love this.
And it looks very useful. Great work, djthopa!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Page 32 of 34