The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

thotgamma wrote:wow, Front panel design is so cool! I really love this.
And it looks very useful. Great work, djthopa!
Thanks yo!

I just finished this Roland 121 Vcf:

chuckg
Common Wiggler

Post by chuckg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:00 pm

There's so much cool stuff in here, and I really have nothing to show. I need two posts to load images anyway.

Much bowing and scraping to all the incredible, very inspiring work!
….working on it.

chuckg
Common Wiggler

Post by chuckg » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:02 pm

See, I knew that if I said that, I could post a pic. Not very inspiring, but I was at my friendly local used electronic junk store buying parts to start some YuSynth modules, and this just begged to come home with me. Not a quality tool, but OK for tweaking trim pots on audio stuff. The waveform is a filtered square wave from (gasp) the Arppe 2600 simulator on my PC.

….working on it.

pld
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pld » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:40 am

forestcaver wrote:Looks really interesting.... just wondering why you have so many stm32f405s and happen to have screen drivers :-) hah hah... It’s an exciting chip for the price...
The 405s are easily explained by compulsive buying at the next price break. But the screen running nicely on an F3xx is no coincidence :)

Something from earlier in the year:
ImageImage

STM32F0 test case + practical experiments with I2C as IO expanders = panel and (mostly) protocol compatible implementation of TELEXi expander for Teletype. That removed some variables and gave a known-good protocol to work against.
Also a nice opportunity to try those mini-knobs and a reminder that the drill press doesn't have an undo (2/3 isn't bad...)

dot matrix madness
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dot matrix madness » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:59 am

djthopa wrote: I just finished this Roland 121 Vcf:
Convincing choice of knob colors!
Is the schematic of that particular PCB available somewhere?
Licenced to solder since 1993

tvainio
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tvainio » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:41 am

Here's my Acid Moose project. Two Oakley Sound Systems TM3030 synths built into an old Macintosh Plus hard drive enclosure.

More details and pictures in my blog:
https://noiseembedded.blogspot.com/2018 ... -hard.html

zemm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zemm » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:56 pm

So, I've had a couple of NLC modules for a while, and always struggled a bit with them. They seem pretty cool, but don't seem to fit well within any of my existing modular. Then I thought that maybe I just haven't used them enough!

So obviously I got on to a quest to build them all. I think I'm beginning to see the picture here! Custom aluminium panels, because I got the official PCB:s from Andrew, but am not made out of money. ....and the real reason being that I really like to visualize my INs and OUTs!

There's still at least two more rows waiting to be built to get the full catalog running :) ...until the next ones come out, of course.

And of course the wiring is done with silicone and ground bus bars, because why not.

Ps. Especially the Kareishuu and Plague of Demons VCO:s would really fit in any "serious" setup too!

roglok
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by roglok » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:38 pm

zemm wrote:So, I've had a couple of NLC modules for a while, and always struggled a bit with them. They seem pretty cool, but don't seem to fit well within any of my existing modular. Then I thought that maybe I just haven't used them enough!

So obviously I got on to a quest to build them all. I think I'm beginning to see the picture here! Custom aluminium panels, because I got the official PCB:s from Andrew, but am not made out of money. ....and the real reason being that I really like to visualize my INs and OUTs!

There's still at least two more rows waiting to be built to get the full catalog running :) ...until the next ones come out, of course.

And of course the wiring is done with silicone and ground bus bars, because why not.

Ps. Especially the Kareishuu and Plague of Demons VCO:s would really fit in any "serious" setup too!
holy fuck!

uuav
Learning to Wiggle

Post by uuav » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:16 pm

:yay: awesome

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:46 pm

really impressive :)

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Revok » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 pm

I'd love to hear it in action, zemm!

zemm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zemm » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 pm

Revok wrote:I'd love to hear it in action, zemm!
Thanks, everyone! I really should try to record something, although probably can't at least for the next couple of weeks. Also I'm afraid I'm much more of a builder than performer :) But this certainly suits that better than a regular keyboad thingy...

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 pm

That's awwwesome!
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Wow! That looks fantastic.

OIP
Common Wiggler

Post by OIP » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 am

hot damn, that's amazing!

the LW format setup a little while back is stunning as well.

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:31 pm

:miley: - HOT!

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:43 am

zemm wrote:So, I've had a couple of NLC modules for a while, and always struggled a bit with them. They seem pretty cool, but don't seem to fit well within any of my existing modular. Then I thought that maybe I just haven't used them enough!

Fantastic System, NLC does some strange modules and here all are collected. Any chance to hear it or see it in action?
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 am

Because two is better than one...

Case is the 300mm deep 5U case from All Metal Parts with a pair of their MOTM rails. It doesn't have to be that deep their 200mm one would be perfectly fine.

And the backside...

Tony

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi zemm

Is that Ali Busbar a particular grade?
I’ve been reading about Busbar and Ali conductivity.
Is it necessary to hunt down the best for electrical or will any strip be sufficient?

Edit.
On closer inspection is it brass?

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm

J3RK wrote:Image
Gets my vote!

That looks cool.

zemm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by zemm » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Just another rookie wrote:Hi zemm

Is that Ali Busbar a particular grade?
I’ve been reading about Busbar and Ali conductivity.
Is it necessary to hunt down the best for electrical or will any strip be sufficient?

Edit.
On closer inspection is it brass?
I don't have any specs for it. Definitely not solid copper, probably some mixture. It's an "official" grounding bar meant for electrical cabinets in houses. I buy it from an electrical wholesale store (at Finland) for IMO very reasonable price. A pair of 50 hole (34cm) busbars costs me around 8€, so 12€ per ~40 modules, which is way below any commercial distribution boards for that amount, and DIY also if you count connectors (which the busbar already has as in screws) and with a heavier copper PCB.

The heavier and nicer silicone cables are the main point for me, the busbars are actually just the most convenient and cheapest option with those :)

I've made some ballbark measurements using 4-wire kelvin probes with my HP/Agilent 34401A and got something like 0,002ohm for 30cm of busbar and 0,005ohm between ground pins of Intellijel TPS30W from side to side (around the same distance). While I know these are not actual absolute values, they are constant, and deems the busbars good enough for me! I've also previously measured more properly with power cables and loads, but don't have the numbers at hand. There were some actually measurable, though probably still negligible, differences with the power cables IIRC.

Also props for J3RK and others being in another level by actually also designing the stuff besides the looks :yay:

*edits

Just another rookie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Just another rookie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks for the answer!

I like the vertical mount, pretty clever, i was thinking about this type of system for a new case, and have been looking at parts, vertical did not occur to me.

Yes the cost you paid is excellent for the bars!
At least I know now that “special” electrical grade Ali is not necesssary.

Cheers from a real rookie!

chaotician
Common Wiggler

Post by chaotician » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 pm

These are my efforts for the last year, the case is a work in progress, I have a Frequency Central PSU waiting for bits as well as a GMSN Safety Valve, o_C, and a GBiz Dervish. Most of this was built over the last few weeks, the latest piece being the Radio Music.

I'm really starting to make some interesting sounds with this thing, it's awesome.
Kill All Music, Eat Your Own Face.

soup
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soup » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Barton User Writable Quantizer in Banana Frac...
:bananaguitar:

Return to “Music Tech DIY”