MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Author The 2018 Show Us Your DIY Builds Thread
djthopa
thotgamma wrote:
wow, Front panel design is so cool! I really love this.
And it looks very useful. Great work, djthopa!

Thanks yo!

I just finished this Roland 121 Vcf:

chuckg
There's so much cool stuff in here, and I really have nothing to show. I need two posts to load images anyway.

Much bowing and scraping to all the incredible, very inspiring work!
chuckg
See, I knew that if I said that, I could post a pic. Not very inspiring, but I was at my friendly local used electronic junk store buying parts to start some YuSynth modules, and this just begged to come home with me. Not a quality tool, but OK for tweaking trim pots on audio stuff. The waveform is a filtered square wave from (gasp) the Arppe 2600 simulator on my PC.

pld
forestcaver wrote:
Looks really interesting.... just wondering why you have so many stm32f405s and happen to have screen drivers :-) hah hah... It’s an exciting chip for the price...

The 405s are easily explained by compulsive buying at the next price break. But the screen running nicely on an F3xx is no coincidence smile

Something from earlier in the year:

STM32F0 test case + practical experiments with I2C as IO expanders = panel and (mostly) protocol compatible implementation of TELEXi expander for Teletype. That removed some variables and gave a known-good protocol to work against.
Also a nice opportunity to try those mini-knobs and a reminder that the drill press doesn't have an undo (2/3 isn't bad...)
dot matrix madness
djthopa wrote:

I just finished this Roland 121 Vcf:

Convincing choice of knob colors!
Is the schematic of that particular PCB available somewhere?
tvainio
Here's my Acid Moose project. Two Oakley Sound Systems TM3030 synths built into an old Macintosh Plus hard drive enclosure.

More details and pictures in my blog:
https://noiseembedded.blogspot.com/2018/12/acid-moose-two-303-clones-i n-hard.html

zemm
So, I've had a couple of NLC modules for a while, and always struggled a bit with them. They seem pretty cool, but don't seem to fit well within any of my existing modular. Then I thought that maybe I just haven't used them enough!

So obviously I got on to a quest to build them all. I think I'm beginning to see the picture here! Custom aluminium panels, because I got the official PCB:s from Andrew, but am not made out of money. ....and the real reason being that I really like to visualize my INs and OUTs!

There's still at least two more rows waiting to be built to get the full catalog running smile ...until the next ones come out, of course.

And of course the wiring is done with silicone and ground bus bars, because why not.

Ps. Especially the Kareishuu and Plague of Demons VCO:s would really fit in any "serious" setup too!
roglok
zemm wrote:
So, I've had a couple of NLC modules for a while, and always struggled a bit with them. They seem pretty cool, but don't seem to fit well within any of my existing modular. Then I thought that maybe I just haven't used them enough!

So obviously I got on to a quest to build them all. I think I'm beginning to see the picture here! Custom aluminium panels, because I got the official PCB:s from Andrew, but am not made out of money. ....and the real reason being that I really like to visualize my INs and OUTs!

There's still at least two more rows waiting to be built to get the full catalog running smile ...until the next ones come out, of course.

And of course the wiring is done with silicone and ground bus bars, because why not.

Ps. Especially the Kareishuu and Plague of Demons VCO:s would really fit in any "serious" setup too!

holy fuck!
uuav
applause awesome
adam
really impressive smile
Revok
I'd love to hear it in action, zemm!
zemm
Revok wrote:
I'd love to hear it in action, zemm!

Thanks, everyone! I really should try to record something, although probably can't at least for the next couple of weeks. Also I'm afraid I'm much more of a builder than performer smile But this certainly suits that better than a regular keyboad thingy...
sduck
That's awwwesome!
soup
Wow! That looks fantastic.
OIP
hot damn, that's amazing!

the LW format setup a little while back is stunning as well.
J3RK
soup
Miley Cyrus - HOT!
ClausF
zemm wrote:

Fantastic System, NLC does some strange modules and here all are collected. Any chance to hear it or see it in action?
Clap Clap Clap Clap
Synthbuilder
Because two is better than one...

Case is the 300mm deep 5U case from All Metal Parts with a pair of their MOTM rails. It doesn't have to be that deep their 200mm one would be perfectly fine.

And the backside...

Tony
Just another rookie
Hi zemm

Is that Ali Busbar a particular grade?
I’ve been reading about Busbar and Ali conductivity.
Is it necessary to hunt down the best for electrical or will any strip be sufficient?

Edit.
On closer inspection is it brass?
Just another rookie
J3RK wrote:

Gets my vote!

That looks cool.
zemm
Just another rookie wrote:
Hi zemm

Is that Ali Busbar a particular grade?
I’ve been reading about Busbar and Ali conductivity.
Is it necessary to hunt down the best for electrical or will any strip be sufficient?

Edit.
On closer inspection is it brass?

I don't have any specs for it. Definitely not solid copper, probably some mixture. It's an "official" grounding bar meant for electrical cabinets in houses. I buy it from an electrical wholesale store (at Finland) for IMO very reasonable price. A pair of 50 hole (34cm) busbars costs me around 8€, so 12€ per ~40 modules, which is way below any commercial distribution boards for that amount, and DIY also if you count connectors (which the busbar already has as in screws) and with a heavier copper PCB.

The heavier and nicer silicone cables are the main point for me, the busbars are actually just the most convenient and cheapest option with those smile

I've made some ballbark measurements using 4-wire kelvin probes with my HP/Agilent 34401A and got something like 0,002ohm for 30cm of busbar and 0,005ohm between ground pins of Intellijel TPS30W from side to side (around the same distance). While I know these are not actual absolute values, they are constant, and deems the busbars good enough for me! I've also previously measured more properly with power cables and loads, but don't have the numbers at hand. There were some actually measurable, though probably still negligible, differences with the power cables IIRC.

Also props for J3RK and others being in another level by actually also designing the stuff besides the looks applause

*edits
Just another rookie
Thanks for the answer!

I like the vertical mount, pretty clever, i was thinking about this type of system for a new case, and have been looking at parts, vertical did not occur to me.

Yes the cost you paid is excellent for the bars!
At least I know now that “special” electrical grade Ali is not necesssary.

Cheers from a real rookie!
chaotician
These are my efforts for the last year, the case is a work in progress, I have a Frequency Central PSU waiting for bits as well as a GMSN Safety Valve, o_C, and a GBiz Dervish. Most of this was built over the last few weeks, the latest piece being the Radio Music.

I'm really starting to make some interesting sounds with this thing, it's awesome.
soup
Barton User Writable Quantizer in Banana Frac...

Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next [all]
Page 33 of 34