MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone modified a Peli Case to have removable lid?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Anyone modified a Peli Case to have removable lid?
heapish
Has anyone here modified a Peli Case so that the lid is removable? If you have, got any info or tips? This will eventually house a Buchla 208 clone. The pins that are in there look like I could maybe knock them out. But obviously I'd like to try and do this without damaging it.

I was thinking I can then get a bar as thick as the hinges and drill down the centre so that new pins can slide in and out of it. The pins would be held in position with a thumb screws through tapped hole or padlocks. But if other people have suggestions for a solution please share. Cheers smile

Images below including sketch

edwinm
I replaced the pins on my fake Peli case with grenade pins (split pins and split key ring). I had to cut a bit of the case to allow a bit of room to get my pliers on to the pins to pull them but I realised after cutting the case that I could have just pushed them out with a slightly thinner rod.
erstlaub
Assuming that the case I recently did up for a euorcase is similar then it should be easier than you think.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192174

I basically took a small flat jewellers screwdriver and popped it in behind the last bit of rod you can see and just slid the rod out.

I've not even bothered to seek an alternative because the case has 4 catches which keep the lid on nice and tight. You should be able to find a suitable replacement the same size if you need to, perhaps cut them nice and long and put a right angled bend on them so there's something to hold onto when putting them in/out.
DSC
Synthrotek replaces theirs with grenade pins too. You can also add an enclosure to the top, thereby increasing the opportunities for the lid. I added LCD monitors for my eurorack video synth.

calaveras
I've seen folks do cotter pins. Where the cotter pin replaces the normal pin. But those didn't seem very secure to stay shut.
I've also seen one case, I think it was a modded pelican, that had one long rod through both hinges held in by cotter pins on both ends.
I'm wary of that design since I'm the type of guy that would lose those cotter pins and have a case that flops open. It seems to me the best solution it to shear off the hinges entirely and put similar closure hardware on the back as there is on the front. That way you don't have any loose parts that can be lost on a dark, dirty stage.
heapish
Are they actually called grenade pins? I'm having a hard time finding any on google
calaveras
grenade pin=cotter pin.
JohnLRice
FYI: Nanuk makes really nice "Pelican type" cases and their larger wheeled series are designed with removable lids:
https://www.nanuk.com/wheeled-series/

I have two of their smaller cases that I use for some camera lenses but they don't have the removable hinge pins.

Also of interest to DIYers and system designers: the inside of the openings have a ridge with attachment points and they sell optional aluminum panels for some of the cases.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1