MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Modules to use with Morphagene
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Best Modules to use with Morphagene
shredsickgnar
I've read through both Morphagene threads and watched a lot of the videos. So I have some ideas but I just wanted to specifically ask what are your favorite modules to pair with the Morphagene and how do you like to patch them? I'm guessing there will be a lot of votes for MATHS, WoggleBug, and Pressure Points. But what else?! I'm mostly thinking about what modules are best to modulate it, not really what you're feeding in to it. But any suggestions are welcome!
richc90
Particular modules are perhaps less important here than general tactics. Random (stepped, smooth, etc.) is obviously important, but here are some other ideas that spring to mind.

Noise as a gentle modulation source on varispeed can produce lovely tape warbles.

Parallel processing the MG through a bunch filters (low, high, band) can produce lovely results, particularly with a bunch of interrelated modulations to their respective frequency cutoffs. Resonators like Rings also can provide nice results.

I personally find the sound quality of the MG a bit too clean for my purposes and so I'll often use distortion or bitcrushing to get that lofi feel that the PG does so well.

Pretty much all the tracks on my drone thread are PG/MG based, and might provide some ideas. The results of the first year are collected here.
shredsickgnar
richc90 Thanks! Your tracks have provided lots of inspiration and ideas! I always look forward to them.
cptnal
richc90 wrote:
Particular modules are perhaps less important here than general tactics. Random (stepped, smooth, etc.) is obviously important, but here are some other ideas that spring to mind.

Noise as a gentle modulation source on varispeed can produce lovely tape warbles.

Parallel processing the MG through a bunch filters (low, high, band) can produce lovely results, particularly with a bunch of interrelated modulations to their respective frequency cutoffs. Resonators like Rings also can provide nice results.

I personally find the sound quality of the MG a bit too clean for my purposes and so I'll often use distortion or bitcrushing to get that lofi feel that the PG does so well.

Pretty much all the tracks on my drone thread are PG/MG based, and might provide some ideas. The results of the first year are collected here.

Totally unrelated, so sorry, shredsickgnar, for temporarily hijacking your thread. But richc90's idea with noise modulation prompted me to add noise>Belgrad>VCA>Warps Algo. Using Warps Parasite open feedback mode. Just turned the patch I'm playing with from "yeah, quite nice" to "f'king hell! That's amazing." So I just wanted to say thanks. thumbs up Guinness ftw!
ookrsia
Morphagene has a clock in and out. How necessary/useful is using clocks with Morphagene?
richc90
cptnal wrote:
Totally unrelated, so sorry, shredsickgnar, for temporarily hijacking your thread. But richc90's idea with noise modulation prompted me to add noise>Belgrad>VCA>Warps Algo. Using Warps Parasite open feedback mode. Just turned the patch I'm playing with from "yeah, quite nice" to "f'king hell! That's amazing." So I just wanted to say thanks. thumbs up Guinness ftw!

Aye, noise is amazingly useful. I love my Quantum Rainbow 2 since I have so much noise to send around the patch. Another nice one is noise > pitch on the Echophon, which can produce lovely dubby tape delay sounds, especially with a LPF in the feedback loop.

ookrsia wrote:
Morphagene has a clock in and out. How necessary/useful is using clocks with Morphagene?

I use the clock out all the time, especially for clocking a S+H and triggering envelopes, but I rarely use the clock input. That's probably in part related to the kind of organic, evolving textures I try to create.
JakoGreyshire
I'm not sure how it's going to work yet, but I just ordered a MI Ears, a MN Contour, Soundmachine LS-1 Lightstrip, and a WMD/SSF MMFilter...

The Lightstrip is going to be happy with the Morphagene. To me it's kind of a no brainer. Patch it in, record wiggles, and let it fly. Could mult it and invert one copy to wiggle two parameters at once..

Having the contour's envelope and inverted envelope outs should be fun to modulate a few knobs on the morphagene as well. Ears and Multimode filter will be used on the input or output of the Morphagene..

I'm not sure how Contour works exactly yet.. but if EOC remains high while not being triggered/gated then it could be cool on the SOS CV in. Then I think I can use Contour to both record, stop record and switch to SOS all with one gate into Contour..

Anyway, whatever the case may be, I'll use these modules with Morphagene and figure something out..
Illwiggle
1st off, great thread idea. Much needed!

2nd, Im curious if anyone has experienced the MG used with the Rossum Control Forge? Seems like a ton of possibilities, but does the programming aspect of it totally clash with the immediacy of the MG?
JakoGreyshire
Illwiggle wrote:
1st off, great thread idea. Much needed!

2nd, Im curious if anyone has experienced the MG used with the Rossum Control Forge? Seems like a ton of possibilities, but does the programming aspect of it totally clash with the immediacy of the MG?

This got me thinking about ALM's Pamela's New Workout... Random loops, level control with gates, Euclidean lfos... ..

Drunken Homer Simpson
esko997
Still learning the module quite a lot right now, but enjoy using the CV Outs on the Erbe-Verb and Morphagene with each other -- mixing and mashing them in multiple ways to various places while theyre both connected has yielded some interesting results, especially with the WMD/SSF Tool-Box somewhere in the mix.

Edited for spelling.
williamjturkel
For slow, smooth modulation, NLC triple Sloths or a pinged filter resonating at sub-audio frequencies. For stepped voltages, NLC Squid Axon is nice (it is an analog shift register with chaotic feedback).

Phonogene was one of the first modules I bought, and I almost got rid of it because I didn’t want to work with samples from outside the modular. My moment of Zen came when I realized that since everything is under CV control, including Play and Record, I could use characteristics of the signal to drive resampling and playback inside the modular. Since then, I have used Phonogene or Morphagene in every patch. It is now the core of my workflow.
williamjturkel
ookrsia wrote:

I use clocked playback and record to synchronize MG with delays and with bit-level effects in Drezno/Lipsk.
Jumbuktu
JakoGreyshire wrote:
I'm not sure how it's going to work yet, but I just ordered a MI Ears, a MN Contour, Soundmachine LS-1 Lightstrip, and a WMD/SSF MMFilter...

Sounds good. I have my MG in a lunchbox with the WMD/SSF filter, their little DPLR delay and the ModBox, plus some clock and mixing facilities.

I find some sort of multi CV selector source really useful for the MG. In my case, I am using a MenQi Voltage Memory. Having six CVs that can be selected by touching one of the touchplates means that you can instantly change six different parameters - for example, which splice is being played, playback speed, morph, filter cutoff, delay level etc. PressurePoints would be an alternative, but not as many CVs.
JakoGreyshire
Jumbuktu wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:

Sounds good. I have my MG in a lunchbox with the WMD/SSF filter, their little DPLR delay and the ModBox, plus some clock and mixing facilities.

I find some sort of multi CV selector source really useful for the MG. In my case, I am using a MenQi Voltage Memory. Having six CVs that can be selected by touching one of the touchplates means that you can instantly change six different parameters - for example, which splice is being played, playback speed, morph, filter cutoff, delay level etc. PressurePoints would be an alternative, but not as many CVs.

Ooh.. Voltage memory...... yes.....hmmm.... Six voltage changes at once eh?

You just reminded me that I could do a poor man's version of that with the Korg SQ-1... Guess I should start thinking about a voltage memory module..I think I'll go do some research about MenQi vs. MN Pressure points, vs Malekko Voltage Block... Or maybe go the cheap and HP-less route and get another SQ-1... Thanks Jumbuktu! That DPLR looks cool too..

thumbs up thumbs up
lobra
wogglebug is my go to for modulating the MG. pairs so good
donrock
My go-to modules are currently Maths, for attenuating MG's CV out which then goes to varispeed CV - I found that if I patch it directly to the varispeed cv in even a hair of it's attenuverter seems too much of modulation, that's why I go through maths' attenuator first; and for modulating morph and gene size.
I use SSF URA's slow smooth random out (B) for Slide cv in, and URA's random clock to shift.
Other times I use Tetrapad in voltages mode for storing presets for MG and Clouds, so I can quickly jump back and forth MG's forward and reverse in normal speed (green varispeed knob).
When I jam with other people I also like to get one of their audio signals (most of them don't do modular synths), put it into Maths' ch1 input and set the rise to fastest possible, so I can get an EOR trigger signal to trigger MG, that is synced (or sometimes delayed works too) with what other people are doing.
Live tweaking both gene size and slide at the same time also produces nice results.
Johnnyfive
Jumbuktu wrote:

I find some sort of multi CV selector source really useful for the MG.

agreed, my MG has really come alive since i got pressure points. only three CVs, but even just being able to move between slices by touch makes it a lot more playable. i've also recently been enjoying gate out of PP > slow envelope > grain size.

richc90 thanks for the noise tip, look forward to trying that out (and on clouds too). checked out your bandcamp yesterday and really enjoyed the tracks.
ookrsia
richc90 wrote:

ookrsia wrote:

I use the clock out all the time, especially for clocking a S+H and triggering envelopes, but I rarely use the clock input. That's probably in part related to the kind of organic, evolving textures I try to create.

Oops.. what I thought was clock out is actually CV out. I guess you're talking about that?
richc90
ookrsia wrote:
Oops.. what I thought was clock out is actually CV out. I guess you're talking about that?

No, the MG also outputs triggers each time it reaches the end of a splice and/or gene, via the EOSG output. The CV out is really useful too, though.
Final_Instrument
Maths, clouds and wave folders are my current favorite
boramx
richc90 wrote:

No, the MG also outputs triggers each time it reaches the end of a splice and/or gene, via the EOSG output.

my go-to is to clock a sequencer (rené or rené plus Frames) with the EOSG and then in turn modulate slide and/or organize with the sequencer. each stage and channel of the sequencer can be fine-tuned to find the loops and rhythms you want. modulating gene size and morph (the left side params) the same way can get pretty wild but also can yield interesting textures and rhythms.

also, i use frequently use a stackable to jump the EOSG over to the shift input and then also clock rené with it. then do the rené modulates "slide" as previously mentioned. moving through splices according to gene size and morph.

control feedback is usually a win, in my experience.
exeterdown
I've also been looking to put the Morphagene in a lunchbox, and have been thinking about what filters I can add.

I want to take advantage of it being a stereo module - so right now I've settled on just the Optomix, but was also intrigued by the new WMD Overseer.

If I was willing to lose the Tempi in my little case, I might be more temped to go for something like the WMD micro hadron collider.
tomorrowstops
Maths and Wogglebug are my most used modulators of Morph, Gene-Size, Vari-Speed, Slide and Organize.

I haven't dug into it yet, but I also have a Rene/Tempi combo to try as well. Mostly have been using those to modulate the modulators. Can't wait to try bormax's concept of clocking Rene with EOSG while having Rene modulate parameters!

I also love the ability to self-patch the EOSG to shift to bounce through splices.

I process the audio outputs of the Morphagene with FXDf/RxMx, MMG, and Echophon.

Obviously, my system is all Make Noise, but I'm excited to hear what others have been using!
fragster
NLC Sloths for slow subtle changes.

I have had some success in patching the morphagene to my oiking, then adding the sloths to whatever is available.
It works, it changes and you never quite know what will happen after a while... w00t
JakoGreyshire
Above I posted about some modules.. and now I can confirm that I love using the Soundmachines LS-1 Lightstrip with the Morphagene.. You can tap the light strip and find some cool areas on the light strip that work with whatever cv input you are modulating. Then you can record what you are doing. It's like a planned "random" Loop CV recorder.. Not really random i guess.. at first it's random gestures with your finger but then it's like recording stepped gates with variable gate levels…. you know what I mean right?…Maybe someone can correct my terminology. You can also do sweeping LFOs of course…Custom CV generator recorder…

LS-1 light strip is firckin awesome with the Morphagene!!

Drunken Homer Simpson
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3