MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

plan b?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author plan b?
LoveHertz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjzYJ5sz2o

this was posted on the tube 1/1/18 does anyone have further info on this dude. he describes his system (and a very well equipped one it is)and mentions some modules not released yet as if hes comming back into the game....perhaps as plan c?

....lets make it a good one for 2018 peace out.
erstlaub
Good to hear he's still claiming he invented the buffered mult lol

There is a LOT of info on the dude around here if you search, mostly about how he took folks money for things that never appeared and repairs that were never done and so on. There's also a pretty funny drama where he vehemently denied writing his own wikipedia entry that's worth a read if you're bored and wanting some entertainment.

Perhaps he's turned a corner and that's all water under the bridge or maybe it was all just written off and folks are still out, I can't say, I've no horse in the race other than that car crash thing where you can't quite bring yourself to look away.

There's something really quite psychedelic about the audio being out of sync with the pointing, at one point he does say that he's recording the audio separately, while pointing the camera at a light and talking about other stuff we can't see.

He did a similar video a few years ago too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NQC4KTt2iU&feature=youtu.be
authorless
They will be available through http://www.ear-synth.com
cptnal
...and the music in the background sounds a lot like Terry Riley to me. woah

I'm not familiar with the history, so I enjoyed the video on its own merits. I just love watching people telling us which modules they enjoy. thumbs up

(Who did invent the buffered mult anyway? hmmm..... )
Nelson Baboon
it went beyond just screwing up with business stuff. Outright lying, again and again, about the status of items sent for repair, abusive phone calls (yes - I had first hand experience with those), etc.

very weak apologies - mostly that he just got in over his head with the business.

I'll never trust him.

erstlaub wrote:
Good to hear he's still claiming he invented the buffered mult lol

There is a LOT of info on the dude around here if you search, mostly about how he took folks money for things that never appeared and repairs that were never done and so on. There's also a pretty funny drama where he vehemently denied writing his own wikipedia entry that's worth a read if you're bored and wanting some entertainment.

Perhaps he's turned a corner and that's all water under the bridge or maybe it was all just written off and folks are still out, I can't say, I've no horse in the race other than that car crash thing where you can't quite bring yourself to look away.

There's something really quite psychedelic about the audio being out of sync with the pointing, at one point he does say that he's recording the audio separately, while pointing the camera at a light and talking about other stuff we can't see.

He did a similar video a few years ago too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NQC4KTt2iU&feature=youtu.be
sduck
Interesting dude. He's had several ups and downs over the years. I've only had brief email exchanges with him about some Milton debugging, but he seemed very helpful. He has been around for long enough to make his claim of inventing the buffered multiple plausible. I've never heard about anyone else claiming to have invented them earlier (or at all).
Mikeyg3k
Just from looking thru some old pics here it seems like plan b was really popular for a time
REVIVER
Mikeyg3k wrote:
Just from looking thru some old pics here it seems like plan b was really popular for a time

They were.

Back in...oh, let's say.....2008? There were maybe a handful of Eurorack manufacturers for customers to choose from at the time and Plan B was one of them.

Some of their modules were considered to be "must haves" (Model 15 VCO, Model 10 Envelope, Model 13 LPG), but a lot of their modules were plagued with weird issues and idiosyncrasies that made them very frustrating to use.

I had to return my ELF ADSR to BCM around that time as there was a major issue with the envelope time range. It was basically unusable. You could have a very fast envelope or a very long envelope with very little flexibility in between. Turns out that it was an issue across most of the ELF ADSR's that they had produced.

The Model 9 mixer I had was a nice enough design, but suffered from bleed and really low quality jacks. Due to its performative nature (size, flexibility, tactility), those issues were a deal-breaker.

My ELF LFO also straight up just died one day in my case. Still my first and only module to ever just.....stop working on me.

Meh. seriously, i just don't get it
Shledge
I thought for a second I travelled back in time when larger doepfer only systems were more common.

Who invented the buffered mult?
sduck
Shledge wrote:

Well, he claims to have "introduced" it to modular synthesis in 2007*. Although I think the reality is that he was the first person to use that term for it, or perhaps sell it as a separate module. I know that such a thing existed in the MOTM 820 Lag Processor, although it wasn't called that, and it was kind of a secret feature, and that the 820 came out in 2003 or so.

* http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4647
DickMarker
No idea who invented it but Analogue Systems had a 'CV Buffer' (which is a CV mult) Integrator module as far back as 1999. Pure speculation on my part but wouldn't be surprised if Doepfer didn't have one way back when also.
Shledge
sduck wrote:
Shledge wrote:

Well, he claims to have "introduced" it to modular synthesis in 2007*. Although I think the reality is that he was the first person to use that term for it, or perhaps sell it as a separate module. I know that such a thing existed in the MOTM 820 Lag Processor, although it wasn't called that, and it was kind of a secret feature, and that the 820 came out in 2003 or so.

* http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4647

Doepfer already had one before with the A-185, although it was for transferring bus CV/gate signals to other cases rather than a dedicated mult.
vav
Peter's very open and honest about his failures and the implosion of Plan B way back when. It really, really sucked for the burgeoning eurorack/new era modular community, but it sucked a lot more for him.

Over the years he's paid back every cent he owed and has been working to wipe his slate clean with new designs, a new way of approaching life etc...or at least as clean as he can. I'm sure there's a lot of people that will always hold a grudge.

He did the Art+Music+Technology podcast recently and you can judge for yourself in his own words. It's a very candid interview.

http://artmusictech.libsyn.com/podcast-208-peter-grenader

Full Disclosure: I honestly didn't like him at all when it all went down, i thought the whole thing was really ugly. Years later he reached out for my help to track down people he owed money to from this whole thing, and we struck up a friendship. So while my text above is factual, it could be considered biased, or at least influenced by that. I dunno, i personally believe a person is not a single snapshot in time, but a sum of their experiences. People fuck up. Sometimes they make it right. I feel like he did.
Nelson Baboon
he paid back the people who were public about what he owed. yes. (though I'm not sure - did he pay back his former employees? I remember that was an open issue for awhile)

however, I experienced what you apparently did not. I experienced repeated lies, over a period of more than a year. Over and over again, he would tell me that my item was fixed, and shipped, or one or the other, or both. it was NEVER the case.

He called me at work to scream at me. He threatened to bring me to court (of course, all that I said was shown to be true).

He posted some crazy shit - like everything that I said was invalid essentially because I "almost sat on" the item in question.

After all of that, he apologized for getting in over his head with his business, and never address that outright abuse and lying that he committed almost on a daily basis. While I was able to joke about it, and still can, he considerably added to my stress during that long period, and I have never felt that he gets it at all. I have, since that time, seen him lash out at others, and I"m not sure really that he has changed a bit.

He did more than make mistakes. He should have fucking gone to jail.

vav wrote:
Peter's very open and honest about his failures and the implosion of Plan B way back when. It really, really sucked for the burgeoning eurorack/new era modular community, but it sucked a lot more for him.

Over the years he's paid back every cent he owed and has been working to wipe his slate clean with new designs, a new way of approaching life etc...or at least as clean as he can. I'm sure there's a lot of people that will always hold a grudge.

He did the Art+Music+Technology podcast recently and you can judge for yourself in his own words. It's a very candid interview.

Full Disclosure: I honestly didn't like him at all when it all went down, i thought the whole thing was really ugly. Years later he reached out for my help to track down people he owed money to from this whole thing, and we struck up a friendship. So while my text above is factual, it could be considered biased, or at least influenced by that. I dunno, i personally believe a person is not a single snapshot in time, but a sum of their experiences. People fuck up. Sometimes they make it right. I feel like he did.
vav
All employees were paid too, so far as i know, yes.

Nelson Baboon wrote:
he paid back the people who were public about what he owed. yes. (though I'm not sure - did he pay back his former employees? I remember that was an open issue for awhile)

however, I experienced what you apparently did not. I experienced repeated lies, over a period of more than a year. Over and over again, he would tell me that my item was fixed, and shipped, or one or the other, or both. it was NEVER the case.

He called me at work to scream at me. He threatened to bring me to court (of course, all that I said was shown to be true).

He posted some crazy shit - like everything that I said was invalid essentially because I "almost sat on" the item in question.

After all of that, he apologized for getting in over his head with his business, and never address that outright abuse and lying that he committed almost on a daily basis. While I was able to joke about it, and still can, he considerably added to my stress during that long period, and I have never felt that he gets it at all. I have, since that time, seen him lash out at others, and I"m not sure really that he has changed a bit.

He did more than make mistakes. He should have fucking gone to jail.

vav wrote:

cornutt
The funny thing is, the current popularity of the Euro format owes a lot to Plan B. Prior to that, Eurorack had not made much of an impression in the USA. I looked into some Doepfer and Analogue Systems stuff when I first decided to get into modular. Doepfer at the time was having a lot of problems, which wound up being due to a shipment of off-spec jacks that they received, but it took a while to figure out what the problem was, and that scared me away from them. Analogue Systems was very expensive in the U.S. due to currency exchange rates at the time. Plan B and Livewire came along and they were relatively inexpensive and readily available to U.S. customers. The format grew and all of a sudden there were vendors coming out of the woodwork.
Shledge
Quote:
the current popularity of the Euro format owes a lot to Plan B

If anything, it really didn't take off properly until roughly 2010 or so, at the point multiple manufacturers were about. So in that sense, I wouldn't put it all down to one manufacturer. I distinctly remember other formats being just as popular around that time.
c0rpse
cptnal wrote:
...and the music in the background sounds a lot like Terry Riley to me. woah

I'm not familiar with the history, so I enjoyed the video on its own merits. I just love watching people telling us which modules they enjoy. thumbs up

(Who did invent the buffered mult anyway? hmmm..... )

George Mattson, he also invented the keytar.
Jari Jokinen
vav wrote:
...Over the years he's paid back every cent he owed...

He didn't pay back to me.
vav
Jari Jokinen wrote:
vav wrote:
...Over the years he's paid back every cent he owed...

He didn't pay back to me.

I’ll send you a pm and get you in touch with him and I’m certain he will.
Nelson Baboon
vav wrote:

He's a liar. He is still speaking about what he did as 'public relations' and "mistakes". That's the way that criminals trivialize their actions - calling them mistakes. He blames the people who still totally mistrust him as having the issue, and claims that he apologized. Well, yeah - he apologized for his 'mistakes', etc, but he refused (at least to me) to address anything about lying, threats, and abuse, and crazy accusations that he made.

I think that it's disrespectful to the people who endured this man back around 2009 to welcome him back as someone who made a few mistakes and made everything right. No - he never came close to making things right. I'm still waiting for anything approaching a true, sincere, apology.
Shledge
You see the same type of people happily buy from BEMI. Ignorance is bliss.
Reese P. Dubin
I dont euro but that video was pretty interesting. an old timer with a big well thought out system with nearly zero modern hype (deserved or no) modules.

Plan B was essentially the original hype/must have company along with Livewire back in the wild west days a decade ago.
EAR
This is Peter Grenader. I have been officially banned from this site - forever - but was briefly able to create this account so i may address the issues raised, most importantly to Jari Jokinen.

First is the issue of repayments. All payments to all persons on record (see Jari comments below) were made on my behalf by Robert Haugen, my attorney in December of 2014 upon settlement of my father's estate after he passed away. It was the first opportunity to make these payments. It included private individuals, dealers and all employees which were owed money. I have included a copy of the spreadsheet in which these payments were made with the payee's addresses blocked off (see download link).

It should be noted that all of the transactions regarding all of these line items were posted in the FB Muffwiggler page at the time per Adam Vavirck's suggestion as they occurred, with verification from the recipients also posted in most cases.

There were no payments made which remain uncashed by the recipients.

Regarding Jari: I received a few email from Jari in 2008 who had a concern about the rise/fall times of his model 10 not being identical when the pots were set to identical positions. He returned his Model 10 to Noisebug and that's where the issue occurred - as it was Noisebug that should have processed this refund. Further, when we ended our association with Noisebug we settled all open financial issues. It was their obligation to repay Jari as it was Noisebug who collected the funds originally.

However, if he was unpaid I was willing to cover this and I did recieve two other posts from Jari in 2010 about it and informed him that I could not refund as he requested (via paypal) because wI did not have an account and asked for other options

I did not receive a reply to this letter which is why he was unpaid in 2014 with the others. I ave not heard form Jari since 3/18/10.

Jari - if you see this note I have sent you an email this evening and would be happy to refund 150% of your original purchase price for this delay and your inconvenience via a wire transfer if that is sufficient and I apologize for this.

Regarding the buffered mult. The Anaolgue Systems Buffer/inverter module is for control signals only and not a buffered signal multiple. It will not pass an audio signal out without alteration as it is not a unity gain buffer stage. I would be happy to resend my claim if by chance there was a buffered signal multiple released prior to NAMM 2007, but i do not think you will find one.

In closing, I understand that there will be individuals who will not trust me, ever. I get that and frankly - what happened did in fact happen and they may have reason to feel this way. I made every effort to correct all of the problems that I caused and financially compensated everyone who presented a means to do so. I did this because it was my obligation. I did this because i wanted to remain part of this community and i was not active in this community until these issues were handled.

I cannot erase what occurred, but i can take responsibility for it and i did. More importantly however I gained great respect for the inconvenience i had caused certain individuals. I can only hope that this is acceptable to you because ten years later - can do nothing more to right these very old issues.

The current web address for EAR (formally Plan B) is ear-synth.com.
EAR
I have received a reply form Jari. I will be wire transferring $277 USD (150% of what he originally paid) on Monday and have received the account information in which to do that.

I am now closing this account. I can be reached via email petergrenader at gmail, or on FB under my name if you have any further issues.

peace
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2