MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CGS Programmer Sequencer build issue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author CGS Programmer Sequencer build issue
LetterBeacon
I'm attempting a 4 stage CGS59 Programmer build and I'm having issues with it.

If I plug a clock onto Up, it hangs on stage 3, and likewise if I go down from 3 it stops at 1. i.e. it looks like it doesn't want to go to stage 4.

The only push button that works is stage 1. So if I'm on stage 2, I can reset it to stage 1, but I cannot select any other stages with the other push buttons.

To be honest, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the schematic, so if anyone can give me some pointers as to where I should be looking, that would be great!
cygmu
Have you wired up the pulse inputs, and if so, which ones work? Just asking in case this gives more clues.

It's odd that only the stage 1 pushbutton works while we know that stages 1, 2 and 3 can all be triggered by the clocking. The button just connects 6V to the same signal that is used to switch a stage on, so if the clocking works the button should work, and likewise the external pulse, unless there's a construction error around there.

Since stage 4 won't activate from either direction I would start by taking a thorough look at the stage 4 CGS59A board. Is it properly connected to the 0V? Is all the bus wire well connected? When I built a CGS87 I completely forgot to apply solder to one row... ahem...

The issue could be a lot of things though -- wrong part, bad connection, short circuit somewhere etc.
LetterBeacon
Thanks for the reply! Yes it's odd that the pushbuttons don't work. I'll have a look around the those areas as well as generally check my solder joints. From looking on the electro-music forum it seems like solder bridges across the busses is quite a common error.

The trouble with this circuit is that once the busses and LEDs are soldered in, it's quite hard to troubleshoot!
LetterBeacon
cygmu wrote:
Have you wired up the pulse inputs, and if so, which ones work? Just asking in case this gives more clues.

Sorry, I've only just noticed that you asked me a question!

I have wired up all the pulse inputs and outputs and none of them seem to work. HOWEVER, I'm measuring 9.62V out of every single banana jack on the panel, regardless of whether they're an input or an output. I've also just noticed that I'm measuring 9.62V on my ground connections, so there must be a solder bridge somewhere...

I guess that's why the pushbuttons don't work - the voltage divider that the push button gets its voltage from is only outputting around 1.5V volts, that's probably not enough to trigger a stage.

I'll keep looking. The 0V bus seems to be fine, so it must be on a component somewhere.
LetterBeacon
I've reflowed most of the solder joints and now the 4th stage is active when I plug a clock in.

Trouble is, it looks like the 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 are now paired. When I plug a clock into Up or Down, the sequencer cycles between 1 and 3 on together and 2 and 4 on together. Really weird.

I've also still got my ground at 9.62V.

I'm a bit stuck, to be honest! Been reflowing solder joints, and staring at the PCB for a few hours now and no closer.
cygmu
LetterBeacon wrote:
I've reflowed most of the solder joints and now the 4th stage is active when I plug a clock in.

Trouble is, it looks like the 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 are now paired. When I plug a clock into Up or Down, the sequencer cycles between 1 and 3 on together and 2 and 4 on together. Really weird.

I've also still got my ground at 9.62V.

I'm a bit stuck, to be honest! Been reflowing solder joints, and staring at the PCB for a few hours now and no closer.

The weird stage behaviour is perhaps not that surprising given the situation with your 0V. The wrong 0V level will bias the transistor current source that drives bus C much higher than it is meant to, so there will be too much current on bus C, which means that it's possible for more than one stage to be active at a time. If 1 and 3 are active, then when you send a clock pulse, stage 1 will activate 2 while 3 activates 4, so they seem to run in pairs. You might get a different behaviour if you restart e.g. stages 1 and 2 first, then 3 and 4.

Anyway, that is a long and pointless way of saying that I think there's a good chance the thing will work once you figure out the 0V issue.

Have you tried disconnecting the +12 and 0V from the CGS59A boards? Then at least you can see whether the issue is with those or the CGS59B.
tojpeters
This might be obvious but do you have all the links installed?
LetterBeacon
cygmu wrote:
Have you tried disconnecting the +12 and 0V from the CGS59A boards? Then at least you can see whether the issue is with those or the CGS59B.

I just have and it brought the GND potential down to 3.75V, so I presume that the problem must be on the 'B' board.

I decided to take out the TL072s and with them out the GND was brought down further to 2.19V. I've reflowed some of the joints around the sockets and put the TL072s back in, and the GND is still 2.19V.

I'll keep poking and prodding tonight and see what turns up. It's frustrating as I've built and debugged much more complicated circuits, but this one is eluding me! very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating

tojpeters wrote:
This might be obvious but do you have all the links installed?

As far as I can see I do - 1 on each 'A' board and 4 on the 'B' board.
cygmu
I now realise that I don't understand how you are measuring the voltages to read 2.19 on the ground line... Where are your meter probes connected? For there to be a 2V drop between the board and your power supply, for instance, there has to be some resistance between the two points. So I guess your mission is to find that...
LetterBeacon
cygmu wrote:
I now realise that I don't understand how you are measuring the voltages to read 2.19 on the ground line... Where are your meter probes connected? For there to be a 2V drop between the board and your power supply, for instance, there has to be some resistance between the two points. So I guess your mission is to find that...

That's a very good point! I've traced it back to a bad crimp on the MTA connectors - and now I have 0V on the ground line!

I've also realised I wired the pushbuttons the wrong way round, so they were always closed, which meant the buttons weren't working properly.

The only thing now is that when I feed a clock into the Up or Down sockets, the module doesn't cycle.

I make a pulse wave from a DUSG, plug it into Up or Down and I can trace the signal through to the LM393. The output of that (either the E or F bus) is still a pulse wave but with a large voltage offset. Is that correct? I'm still trying to get my head round the bus system.
cygmu
Glad you got the ground issue sorted. It definitely wasn't going to work without fixing that!

Sounds like the buttons work now? What about the stage-select pulse inputs?

LetterBeacon wrote:

The only thing now is that when I feed a clock into the Up or Down sockets, the module doesn't cycle.

I make a pulse wave from a DUSG, plug it into Up or Down and I can trace the signal through to the LM393. The output of that (either the E or F bus) is still a pulse wave but with a large voltage offset. Is that correct? I'm still trying to get my head round the bus system.

The busses should see a pulse between somewhere near the positive rail and about 8V, something like that, and inverted from the input pulse i.e. high when the DUSG output is low and vice versa.

You could try measuring the voltage at pad H of the stage after the one that is active, and see what happens when you pulse the "up" clock. I think it should see a positive jump in voltage.
LetterBeacon
cygmu wrote:
Glad you got the ground issue sorted. It definitely wasn't going to work without fixing that!

It's been about two years since I last built a module, so I'm definitely out of practice!

Quote:

Sounds like the buttons work now? What about the stage-select pulse inputs?

Yes the buttons work now and the stage select inputs work if I'm selecting them from the DUSG. If I plug the Stage 4 Out to Stage 2 In and press Stage 4, it doesn't go to Stage 2, but I think that's normal, right?

Quote:
The busses should see a pulse between somewhere near the positive rail and about 8V, something like that, and inverted from the input pulse i.e. high when the DUSG output is low and vice versa.

From what I remember this afternoon when I was probing it with my oscilloscope, I think this is what is happening.

Quote:
You could try measuring the voltage at pad H of the stage after the one that is active, and see what happens when you pulse the "up" clock. I think it should see a positive jump in voltage.

Good idea - I'll give it a go and will report back!
cygmu
LetterBeacon wrote:
If I plug the Stage 4 Out to Stage 2 In and press Stage 4, it doesn't go to Stage 2, but I think that's normal, right?

I think so -- at least that is what happens on my CGS87.
LetterBeacon
I had some time to have a fiddle with this tonight, and still no joy! Everything's working apart from the ext clock.

Quote:

I don't see any voltage on the H pad when using the clock inputs. When I press the push butting I read 2.81V at H, but nothing using the clock.

I can trace the signal up from the B board onto the E bus, can see the signal at the Base of the 557, but then nothing on the Collector.

I'm wondering as this affects every stage, is this an issue on the B board? The signal gets turned from the 0-5V clock going into the Up socket, into an inverted clock signal going swinging between 12V and 10V. Is that right?
cygmu
[quote="LetterBeacon"
I'm wondering as this affects every stage, is this an issue on the B board? The signal gets turned from the 0-5V clock going into the Up socket, into an inverted clock signal going swinging between 12V and 10V. Is that right?[/quote]

That sounds about right.

What do the voltages look like at G and J of the active stage? What about the inactive stages? And what is happening at the emitters of those transistor pairs? I am not quite sure what should be happening but this should give us a clue.

The clock used to work didn't it? This is weird...
LetterBeacon
Ok I had a chance to make those measurements...

cygmu wrote:
What do the voltages look like at G and J of the active stage?

G = 0V but occasionally when I'd touch the wire on G with my multimeter, the active stage would jump to a different stage. It wouldn't happen all the time, and I wasn't shorting anything with the probe when it did happen.

J = 0V

Quote:
What about the inactive stages?

G = 2.81V
J = 0V

Quote:
And what is happening at the emitters of those transistor pairs?

When active:
C = 0V
B = 11.55V (this is the clock voltage it seems. When I probe it with my multimeter the active stage jumps somewhere else, usually stage 3 from 1)
E = 10.55V

When inactive
C = 0V
B = 11.53V (it jumps)
E = 3.3V

Quote:
The clock used to work didn't it? This is weird...

Yes it sort of did, but stopped at stage 3. Seeing how the stage seems to jump around a bit, I can't be sure if it was properly working or something was shorting somewhere.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with either my wiring between stages or the LM393. I can't see anything immediately wrong though, and the push buttons seem to work fine...
tojpeters
Are you sure your G/H/J bus wiring is correct?
cygmu
I don't see any evidence that you have a problem with the LM393. The jumpiness when probing the transistors with the meter is not surprising either -- the whole circuit works by carefully balanced current draws so when you intervene things shift around.

I agree with tojpeters that you should verify the inter-stage wiring. The readings from the transistor pairs look strange -- the emitter is connected to its own stage G, the next stage H and the following stage J, so the emitter readings ought to match the G, H and J readings at various stages. Give that wiring a thorough look.

Errors with that wiring would not prevent the pushbuttons or pulse inputs from working.
LetterBeacon
So I've been probing about some more...

I don't think it's a problem with the bus wiring for two reasons - 1) I've triple checked it visually and it all seems good and 2) when I touch the Base leg with a probe on the relevant BC557 it skips to the next stage fine. This works for then Up and Down BC557.

For some reason, it looks like the clock present at the base isn't opening the 557 up, allowing the current to flow from the +v supply (via the 470pf cap) through to the G bus. That's how its suppose to work, right?

Ive double checked the transistors, and they're definitely BC557.

Quote:
I agree with tojpeters that you should verify the inter-stage wiring. The readings from the transistor pairs look strange -- the emitter is connected to its own stage G, the next stage H and the following stage J, so the emitter readings ought to match the G, H and J readings at various stages. Give that wiring a thorough look.

Do you mean the collector is connected to the buses? It looks that way on the schematic to me.
cygmu
LetterBeacon wrote:

Do you mean the collector is connected to the buses? It looks that way on the schematic to me.

Yes!! Sorry, that was just a brain failure.
cygmu
LetterBeacon wrote:

For some reason, it looks like the clock present at the base isn't opening the 557 up, allowing the current to flow from the +v supply (via the 470pf cap) through to the G bus. That's how its suppose to work, right?

So... if the emitter is at 10.55V when the stage is active and the clock signal pulls the base down to about 10V, it wouldn't necessarily turn on properly.

You could try reducing the 10k resistor on the voltage divider from the clock so that the base gets pulled down further. Maybe put a 100k in parallel with the 10k?

The circuit was designed for +/-15V power though I believe it is reported to work fine on 12V --- I think you are on 12V aren't you?
LetterBeacon
cygmu wrote:
So... if the emitter is at 10.55V when the stage is active and the clock signal pulls the base down to about 10V, it wouldn't necessarily turn on properly.

You could try reducing the 10k resistor on the voltage divider from the clock so that the base gets pulled down further. Maybe put a 100k in parallel with the 10k?

I see, so that the clock signal has a greater swing? I'll have to give it a go tomorrow.

Quote:
The circuit was designed for +/-15V power though I believe it is reported to work fine on 12V --- I think you are on 12V aren't you?

Yes, I'm on +/-12V, but I think all the Best of CGS guys were running it on 12V, so it should work.

I'm at my wits end with it -I haven't had this much trouble with a module since I started building!
tojpeters
This will work on 12v. I would suggest changing the values of the voltage dividers for the common pulse out and the individual pulse outs. Depending on the voltage drop across the diode/ LEDs associated with those sections of the circuit the outputs are pretty low- 3.2v for common pulse and 4.4 for individual when ran at 12v.
LetterBeacon
I've had a think and, as I have a second one I need to build anyway, I think I'm going to give this one a rest for the time being and build the second one. Hopefully the second one won't have this problem and I can compare the two.

I really appreciate all the time you've both put into helping me out here!

I'll build the second one and will report back...
LetterBeacon
RESOLVED!

As a last ditch thing, I emailed Ken asking if he had any insights. He couldn't work out what was wrong with it either and came up with the same suggestion of hitting the transistor with more level.

I tried it and it sort of worked, but the stages sequenced in the Up direction no matter which socket I was clocking. Then I realised that there must be a short between the E and F busses and that both the Up and Down BC557 were getting clocked, essentially cancelling each other out.

I found the short on the third A board, and put the voltage dividers back to how they were originally and now it works perfectly.

It was just a good old fashioned short circuit.

Thanks again for all your help on this - I really do appreciate it!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2