MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DSI Pro 2 Editor opinions.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DSI Pro 2 Editor opinions.
daveholiday
I was hesitant to start a new thread but there just wasn't anyone out there that said anything about the editor. I have had my pro 2 for a couple years now and still love it. However, some of the ideas I have rattling around in my head would (I think) be way faster to implement via the software editor. I am okay with being tied to the computer for this. Anyone using the editor? When I had my mopho the editor was nice to quickly input parameters...but that was free. Pro 2 editor is 70 bucks....I am sure it is as good or better than the Mopho software but was just looking for an opinion of someone else who might have used it.

There is a very interesting "random" patch creation tool that I have been curious about as well. It lets you choose a "mommy" and "daddy" patch to generate an offspring patch. In some ways it sounds a bit stupid, but I wonder if it might be fun for random noodling and just sound creation experimentation?

I know there are a few Pro 2 users out there....would love an opinion!
phisynth
There's a free one here :

http://ctrlr.org/dsi-pro2-editor-and-librarian/

don't use it personally, but it looks good and pretty complete, certainly worth a try
stikygum
daveholiday wrote:

There is a very interesting "random" patch creation tool that I have been curious about as well. It lets you choose a "mommy" and "daddy" patch to generate an offspring patch. In some ways it sounds a bit stupid, but I wonder if it might be fun for random noodling and just sound creation experimentation?

I know there are a few Pro 2 users out there....would love an opinion!

Are you talking about the Sound Tower editor? As much as I enjoy programming my Pro 2, I may get an editor too because random patch generators are fun for inspiration. Programming with an editor could bring different results from programming from the front panel because you might use it differently, but I don't think a software editor would be quicker. Plus I think the software editor might be less fun or possibly tedious editing everything one by one. Whereas the Pro 2 interface allows you to group edits, editing all 4 Osc, LFOs, delays, etc at the same time, which is super intuitive.
daveholiday
stikygum wrote:
Programming with an editor could bring different results from programming from the front panel because you might use it differently, but I don't think a software editor would be quicker. Plus I think the software editor might be less fun or possibly tedious editing everything one by one. Whereas the Pro 2 interface allows you to group edits, editing all 4 Osc, LFOs, delays, etc at the same time, which is super intuitive.

Agreed, the pro 2 does allow for mass editing, however, my thought was that an editor would let a person quickly edit the sequencer and sequencer modulation destinations a bit quicker. As I don't have a "front and center" location for the Pro 2 in the workflow tweaks might be a bit easier for me with an editor.
daveholiday
phisynth wrote:

don't use it personally, but it looks good and pretty complete, certainly worth a try

Didn't know about this one so I will certainly check it out!! Thanks for the link!
daveholiday
phisynth wrote:

So I downloaded and installed the editor...it looks nice and all the controls are there.....BUT...there is no tab/editor for the sequencer. So this doesn't really do anything for me. The Soundtower version does seem to have all the sequencer editing functions plus it does have the addition of the patch generator/morpher/fsu type thing. I guess I need to slide back over to the site and see if they have a demo.

BTW, the ctrlr.org site has a bunch of neat editors for a lot of synths...might be worth checking out if you are curious. Also the Pro2 librarian feature of the editor seems useful...If that ticks your boxes it is worth checking out!

I shall post more in a bit!
daveholiday
So I spent some time (4 hours) with the Soundtower editor for the Pro 2. I have not used that many editors in my life so my expectations may be a little skewed. But, I will give you my impressions...

Most people start with the Pros....fuck that, I am going to start with the cons...if you are like me, you want to know the limitations!

I have 4 synths that I have used a computer editor with....the Pro 2, Mopho SE, Roland JV-1080, and a Roland MC-505. I no longer have the Mopho but it was a Soundtower release as well.

With every editor I have ever used occasionally there is something that just doesn't work right in the sense of changing something in the editor vs. changing something on the synth. This is where the Pro 2 editor falls down in a few areas. I'll focus mainly in the area of sequence editing as this was my biggest gripe. The sequencer tab is good. All the options are there, but it does take some coaxing to get them to work. For example, I found a lovely synth bass preset that was just waiting for some sequencer automation. even though I had the buttons enabled in the editor, I still had to hit record on the Pro 2 and enter notes manualy before the movable sliders in the editor would show up. Not a big deal I can work with that..... The next thing I decided to do was add a second track that would work the cutoff of filter 1. In the editor this is as simple as a drop down menu, but enabling filter 1 cutoff in the editor had no effect on the synth. If I went back to the synth and selected Filter 1 cutoff as track 2 the editor responded immediately. It almost seems like there needs to be a "refresh" button to make sure changes are going to and from....if that makes sense. As I said before I have experienced this with almost every editor I have used so maybe it isn't an exact science.

If you have made it this far then you are probably curious about the good stuff! Well here it is!

I will start by saying there are some really great preset patches in the Pro 2. There are also a few WTF patches as well. There was a DnB loop....I think that was the name. It was a hit a key type sequence....sure sounded like some DnB type shit....did nothing for me......BUT I wondered to myself "what is going on here". The editor will show you at a glance the possibilities and capabilities of the Pro 2. I went to all the patches that I thought were silly, but interesting, and learned much about the Pro 2. The sequencer capabilities combined with automation have left my head swimming!

The sequence editor is very helpful if you are a visual type of person. If you can get the process down between keyboard and editor button presses to make the magic happen, I think it is a worthwhile investment. I am still running in demo mode so I haven't shelled out the money to actually save my shit.....

......as I was writing this it dawned on me that the demo version might be limiting communication...maybe not.....will play with it some more over the next couple days before I decide to shell out the 70 bucks.
daveholiday
Forgot to add, the other nice thing about the editor is you get to see all the knobs at a glance! All 4 oscillators are there in a row ready to be noodled...I like seeing the big picture!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1