MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Where can i source knobs for longer shaft potentiometer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Where can i source knobs for longer shaft potentiometer?
TemplarK
I bought some potentiometers from a BOM from mouser and when i went to fit my knobs they were way to short, so i measured and found that the shaft is 16mm long, so i ordered some more nice aluminium knobs from RS which do fit but again are too short (i think they were 14mm and i thought they would do as they were the best i can find).

Where do you guys in the UK/EU source knobs for the longer shafts, Thonk doesnt seem to have any from what i can see, the davies i guess might work but i really wanted a different look for this module if possible.

Anyone got any links to nicer knobs for 16mm long shaft x 6,4mm diameter?
flts
Not a proper answer but if everything else fails, you can always use a small metal hand saw to shorten the shafts, whether they are plastic or metal. Not a very good idea if the pots are already mounted to a PCB though.
sduck
Ditto the above advice - I use a dremel with a nice cutter blade. Get a dremel. Every proper DIYer should have one.
ersatzplanet
Unfortunately the only way to fit custom shaft is with custom knobs. None of the bulk sources I know even publish the specs for knobs or pots. When you buy directly from the makers you of course can spend the details, in fact many will not sell you unless you do exactly that.

At least you have round shafts so pointer alignment is not a problem. Even 18-tooth knurled shafts can have alignment problems.
TemplarK
They are Alpha potentiometers though i wouldn't have thought they would be totally without knobs. What makes
these custom just that they have longer shaft than the ones thonk stock?
ppkstat
I cut mine with a hacksaw and a vice when needed. I prefer it over a dremel because the dremel puts excessive heat and vibrations to the shaft and the pot becomes a bit loose (still works though).
TemplarK
I don't have anything i can cut the shafts with. Arrgghh i guess i'll either live with knobs that sit off the panel a little too much or grab some davies, or possibly the make noise style knobs may be long enough, not sure where you get those from though.

I'll do some google fu for make noise knobs hehe thanks guys
NV
When you say 16mm are you including the thread, or do you mean 16mm above the thread? If it's 16mm above the actual thread, then that's absolutely massive. Realistically you'll have much better luck buying new pots.

If the shaft above the thread is 11mm then Davies will fit, or a variety of larger knobs like the DotCom and MXR variety. Synthcube in the US and Thonk in the UK have some of the more common synth options for knobs, and are solid DIY sources in general. Small Bear and Mammoth Electronics in the US both have a variety of knobs you tend to find on guitar effects.

Synthcube and Thonk both stock the Make Noise style knobs (Rogans). Note that they don't include set screws, so if these are smooth shaft pots those won't work. For something similar you could try the Intellijel style (Sifam/Selco) with a collet for smooth shafts, which Thonk offers. Knobs are always finicky, even in manufacturing quantities it's easier to buy a pot to fit a knob rather than the opposite.
av500
TemplarK wrote:
They are Alpha potentiometers though i wouldn't have thought they would be totally without knobs. What makes
these custom just that they have longer shaft than the ones thonk stock?

pots come in a variety of shaft lengths and not all of them are meant to be panel mounted directly, e.g. on some products there might be a plastic top cover above a metal mounting plate so then you need a long shaft and will only use a small knob.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1