Any 73-75 word?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Super Deluxe Wiggler

Any 73-75 word?

Post by 3001 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey, any word on this? I really miss serge, but I don't want to spend RS or STS money.

Curious if there's been updates.
http://www.soundcloud.com/hal3001
-
Otter Space is Inner Space

the bad producer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by the bad producer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Yes, the DIY set is out and plenty built, not sure about the pre-built units... There is a FB group called 73-75 if that floats yer boat!

auxren
Veteran Wiggler

Post by auxren » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:23 pm

I built the 2 DIY panels and they are great! Total cost for the two panels with all the parts was $905

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:06 am

Resurrecting this to see if there is any word on the built panels? I’ve signed up for the news letter on 73-75 but nothing as yet... anyone know anything?

dksynth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dksynth » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:13 pm

I'd love to see all of them released as DIY ... the current 2 panel set is nice but I wouldn't want the others built without panel mount pots and some nicer parts that I use

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:18 pm

I'd like to see PCBs/Panels for the whole lot as well, would be a lot easier to afford, and I like the idea of upgrading the quality of some parts over what is typically used.

Is there any news if any of it may be available again, or if it's just been abandoned?

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 pm

chorus7 wrote:Resurrecting this to see if there is any word on the built panels? I’ve signed up for the news letter on 73-75 but nothing as yet... anyone know anything?
There are two panels for sale in BST, not mine:

viewtopic.php?t=204306&highlight=

prphnc
Common Wiggler

Post by prphnc » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 pm

+1 for DIY versions!

chorus7
Yeah that's right

Post by chorus7 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:02 pm

beatcleaver Thanks for the heads up but I wondering about the prebuilt ones still to be released (voice and sequencer)...

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm

The Website says the DIY "Homebuilt" kits are back in stock!

"Back in stock and will ship first week in January 2019"

https://shop.73-75.com/diy-system

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:03 pm

I had none of the 73-75 panels under my own fingers but from the demos I heard online, it doesnt really sound like Serge ..? I'd go so far and say it doesn't even sound good? :despair:

cygmu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cygmu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Well for sure it doesn’t sound like a Serge made of PCO, NTO, DUSG, VCM, etc. I guess that’s why Serge didn’t stop in 1975 and bothered to design those modules. Whether it’s good or not is rather in the ear of the listener and the skill of the operator I suppose.

I think we’d all like to believe that there has been progress since 1975. But perhaps there can also be things to learn and enjoy by revisiting the technology of bygone days. Maybe something new and better will emerge as a result.

dbernhardt58
Common Wiggler

Post by dbernhardt58 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Portabella wrote:I had none of the 73-75 panels under my own fingers but from the demos I heard online, it doesnt really sound like Serge ..? I'd go so far and say it doesn't even sound good? :despair:
Agghhh! If I respond maybe I'll be able to sleep. The 73-75 Homebuilt panels sound good. To me. In my studio, with a great amp and speakers; hearing the sounds that I'm trying, or learning, to create or discover.

I tend to use the panels as an isolated instrument. And there are an infinite number of ways to patch the instrument, and an infinite number of ways to wiggle the knobs, and an infinite number of ways to move the patch cables around while wiggling the knobs. But yes, if the sounds you hear are just from this instrument, and other modules or outboard effects aren't used, then there may be limitations to the range of sounds that can be expressed.

So to your comment "it doesn't even sound good?" : don't think you meant this as a troll, but I don't really have any context to understand your comment. This must be a typical exchange in MW, probably happened a thousand times.

Look - what about the sound that you hear is it that you don't like? The tone, the pitch range, the rhythm/ patterns (or lack of), the bpm, the ambiance, the delay, the reverb; the composition, the nuance of the envelopes, the subtlety (or lack of) in the performance; the length of the sound piece, the repetition (or lack of); the style or genre that the sounds you hear express (or lack of); I could go on.

One more thought experiment: an analogy to violins or electric guitars; cheap ones and great ones x poor/inexperienced players and virtuosos. Visualize the 2x2 matrix representing these variables (with electric guitars the matrix is more complex: amplifiers and pedals are added). Suppose someone said "it doesn't even sound good?" without knowing if it was a cheap violin in the hands of a beginner, or an excellent violin in the hands of a virtuoso. The meaning of the comment changes completely depending on the context, and the follow-on discussion has a completely different character. And if the commenter doesn't like certain genres or styles, then no amount of player skill or innate sound quality in the instrument will make the "sound good."

The modular is not like a keyboard synth with presets that you just bang on a note and hey, that sound's great! or, I don't like that sound. It's not like that.

I plan to sleep better tonight. I can only hope.

qwoned
Common Wiggler

Post by qwoned » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:13 pm

The pre-built VOICE panel seems to be available. anyone have a report they can offer regarding lead time, build/sound quality, etc?

https://shop.73-75.com/voice

kroffe
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kroffe » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:59 am

qwoned wrote:The pre-built VOICE panel seems to be available. anyone have a report they can offer regarding lead time, build/sound quality, etc?

https://shop.73-75.com/voice
Ordered mine 17th nov and got local delivery last thursday.

qwoned
Common Wiggler

Post by qwoned » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:53 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by qwoned on Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:22 pm

dbernhardt58 wrote:
Portabella wrote:I had none of the 73-75 panels under my own fingers but from the demos I heard online, it doesnt really sound like Serge ..? I'd go so far and say it doesn't even sound good? :despair:
Agghhh! If I respond maybe I'll be able to sleep. The 73-75 Homebuilt panels sound good. To me. In my studio, with a great amp and speakers; hearing the sounds that I'm trying, or learning, to create or discover.

I tend to use the panels as an isolated instrument. And there are an infinite number of ways to patch the instrument, and an infinite number of ways to wiggle the knobs, and an infinite number of ways to move the patch cables around while wiggling the knobs. But yes, if the sounds you hear are just from this instrument, and other modules or outboard effects aren't used, then there may be limitations to the range of sounds that can be expressed.

So to your comment "it doesn't even sound good?" : don't think you meant this as a troll, but I don't really have any context to understand your comment. This must be a typical exchange in MW, probably happened a thousand times.

Look - what about the sound that you hear is it that you don't like? The tone, the pitch range, the rhythm/ patterns (or lack of), the bpm, the ambiance, the delay, the reverb; the composition, the nuance of the envelopes, the subtlety (or lack of) in the performance; the length of the sound piece, the repetition (or lack of); the style or genre that the sounds you hear express (or lack of); I could go on.

One more thought experiment: an analogy to violins or electric guitars; cheap ones and great ones x poor/inexperienced players and virtuosos. Visualize the 2x2 matrix representing these variables (with electric guitars the matrix is more complex: amplifiers and pedals are added). Suppose someone said "it doesn't even sound good?" without knowing if it was a cheap violin in the hands of a beginner, or an excellent violin in the hands of a virtuoso. The meaning of the comment changes completely depending on the context, and the follow-on discussion has a completely different character. And if the commenter doesn't like certain genres or styles, then no amount of player skill or innate sound quality in the instrument will make the "sound good."

The modular is not like a keyboard synth with presets that you just bang on a note and hey, that sound's great! or, I don't like that sound. It's not like that.

I plan to sleep better tonight. I can only hope.
Guess my question would be, does it sound like a modern Serge panel? Any comparison?

papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by papz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:21 am

The answer is no, it doesn't sound like a modern Serge panel.
It's not the purpose.
The interest of the 73-75 panels is they are based on the early paper face systems whose circuits and features are different from the later ones.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

harolddonnelly
Veteran Wiggler

Post by harolddonnelly » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:36 pm

kroffe wrote: Ordered mine 17th nov and got local delivery last thursday.
Nice enjoy! I wonder if these will be available as a kit and not pre built at some point?

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 am

The voice panel has been up for sale for a while.

The 73-75 panels have quite different circuits and very different component counts to the more modern Serges (new being relative). They sound great to me but I am biased to like them. Crappy they aren’t. My Casio’s sound a bit crappy but brilliantly crappy and have a perfect place within the mix.

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:34 pm

pics of the voice panel? what enclosure does it come in?

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:53 am

xonetacular wrote:pics of the voice panel? what enclosure does it come in?
With my tongue a little bit in my cheek, on a 73-75.com thread...........it would be easier to look on the website. from the looks of things it will be a bud style box and you need to supply the local voltage wallwart.

ashleym
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ashleym » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:20 pm

I got an alert from youchoob. There’s activity on the 73-75 site. You can get the panels as semi diy units - surface mount components done. Plus slimline cases. I and others had been suggested a diy option even if it was to get the finances moving to get the panels into production.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Any 73-75 word?

Post by anselmi » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:20 am

I was following this for a time but still have some questions about the features of the 73-75 modules

like: what waveforms the oscillators can produce? by looking at the front panel they seems to be similar to the 158, with sine and sawtooth, maybe crossfaded by the waveshaper knob

did they track accurately? have some pitch stability to play in tune with other gear?

then the triple waveshaper, is it similar to the wave multipliers of other known Serge module?

connectors looks like black is out and grey is...in? always? is red a logic input?

sorry for the questions but I can´t found information about all this stuff

rampy
Common Wiggler

Re: Any 73-75 word?

Post by rampy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:56 pm

anselmi wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:20 am
like: what waveforms the oscillators can produce? by looking at the front panel they seems to be similar to the 158, with sine and sawtooth, maybe crossfaded by the waveshaper knob
Correct

anselmi wrote:
did they track accurately? have some pitch stability to play in tune with other gear?
I cannot speak first hand to the old oscillators, but I assume they do not track as well as the PCO/NTO that replaced them. My PCOs track well over 4 octaves.

anselmi wrote:
then the triple waveshaper, is it similar to the wave multipliers of other known Serge module?
They are different modules. The TWS is 3 of the same module that shapes a sine/tri into a saw like shape. Each section of the Wave Multipliers performs a different function.

anselmi wrote:
connectors looks like black is out and grey is...in? always? is red a logic input?
It looks like 73-75 is going for a specific aesthetic with their jack colors. I plan on building mine to the original Serge convention of Blue jacks indicating a DC voltage, Black jacks indicating a bipolar voltage, and Red jacks indicating a gate/trigger/logic function. You can make the jacks any color you like, just be aware of their function.

anselmi wrote:
sorry for the questions but I can´t found information about all this stuff
These sites give a comprehensive overview of most (all?) things Serge
http://www.serge-fans.com/
http://www.carbon111.com/serge.html
http://www.serge.synth.net/
https://www.elby-designs.com/contents/e ... dules.html

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”