MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Goals for 2018?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Goals for 2018?
LameAim
Hey, let's talk about music goals you all might have for 2018.

Personally, I'm on the tail end of an exit from Eurorack and looking for a new analog synth to fill the gap it left. I'm also experimenting with my layout and workflow in preparation for February Album Writing Month (http://fawm.org/). Got nowhere near the goal last year, but it was still somehow the most productive month I'd had in years - so I'm giving it another try this year to see what happens.

Beyond that, I'd like to spend more time on the bass and get over some of my fears of collaborating/playing with folks by doing just that.

How about you?
Futuresound
Record some stuff.

Strange idea, I know hihi
moremagic
^^^ thumbs up do it! that was my goal for last year and now i am sharing my really weird records with the world!
lasst fall i applied for spring graduation so i figured ill try to do the old thing of touring europe after finishing college, already got a real good buddy willing to roadie! i dont expect to set the world on fire but it seems like it should be an adventure to remember twisted
lisa
I released ten tracks in 2017 and I’m aiming for fifteen in 2018. Also, I’ll release a cassette album. My first physical release in ten years. This is fun!
starthief
From 2003-2016 I self-released a bunch of albums, back when I was working 100% in the box. I did FAWM and NaSoAlMo a few times. But I often went months at a time without creating anything, and self-loathing would creep in.

2016-2017 was a transition period. I switched to a fast-and-loose, bold strokes, anti-perfectionist sort of working style as if it was FAWM every day. I got into desktop synths for a bit and then into Eurorack, which felt like getting adopted by a great family after living in an animal shelter, and that accelerated things. I finished 5 hours of music in 2016 and nearly 17 hours in 2017, 386 songs total. I found that listening to my output for a while afterwards -- not to go back and change what I did in the past, but to influence what I do in the future -- improved my music and focused my style.

For 2018 I plan to keep up those working habits, but to curate them and release only my best work in album format. As a listener I find "here's my latest album" more appealing than "here's a massive dump of 260 songs I recorded."

As far as gear goes: I have no intent to expand my gear any further, but will keep refining my modular. I'm going to work out a hybrid of MIDI and modular sequencing that sits comfortably with me, and keep replacing my less favored modules until everything's smooth and synergistic.
Eric the Red
My goals:

- continue teaching myself piano. I am a beginner, and keep quitting because life gets in the way.
- finish a dozen or so modules for my still under construction DIY rig.
fac
Learn to play bass and guitar. In fact, I signed up for bass lessons, the first one of which is today. I'll try to learn guitar slowly by myself, following online courses.

Maybe turn on my synths every once in a while, too.
GovernorSilver
Finish the song I'm working on in Korg Gadget. A bit silly and fun, but it's been great for getting more familiar with the app, as well as my synth of choice within that app - iMonoPoly.

Continue learning how to use my Lyra-8. The "presets" published by the SOMA EU rep has been very helpful.

Keep working on the chord-melody tunes I've been learning on guitar, and add some more tunes.

Record the ambient piece I've been working on. I've been pretty picky about the sound, so it might take a while.
AW198
My goal? Be able to afford some more modules waah

Also get my youtube channel growing a bit, after expecting it to be entirely ignored it's going quite well and I'd like to continue that.
Mr. Sound Boy King
moremagic wrote:
^^^ thumbs up do it! that was my goal for last year and now i am sharing my really weird records with the world!
lasst fall i applied for spring graduation so i figured ill try to do the old thing of touring europe after finishing college, already got a real good buddy willing to roadie! i dont expect to set the world on fire but it seems like it should be an adventure to remember twisted

What part of NC are you in?
odditymedium
i'd like to answer why is it that certain world percussive traditions (mridangam, i'm looking at you) CANNOT be modeled by godfried toussaint's euclidean rhythms
jabberwalky
Stop giving a fuck about buying gear. Retire Variar. Start a duo project. Build my own shit. Design modules. Leave pittsburgh.
EPTC
Goals are great.

Posting a track a day with a comics panel.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193985
EMwhite
Answer the song-a-month challenge (proposed by a friend a fellow Muff's member), which is to essentially stop dicking around and produce something on a monthly basis.

Otherwise:

- complete my 901 based mixed format 2P
- complete my FVS project
- complete my crOwBX project
- complete my So2V project
- fix my Kurzweil 250

Between trying to keep my job and keeping up with my family, this is probably 5-10 yrs worth of work so maybe I'll finish one of them in 2018. Probably the first one.
slicetwo
Finish album #7. My writing partner and I have been working on it since mid-2016. It's the most ambitious thing we've ever attempted, and so far I'm super keen on what we're doing. We've been writing together for over 13 years and the style, concept, and overall everything is very different from what we've ever done before. I'm crazy excited. Our plan is to finish writing by the end of March, then record all the vocals for mixing and mastering over the summer. I haven't been this excited by our music in a while. It's fantastic.
EPTC
slicetwo wrote:
I haven't been this excited by our music in a while. It's fantastic.

Nice sentiment. Cheers on that.
lisa
EMwhite wrote:
Answer the song-a-month challenge (proposed by a friend a fellow Muff's member), which is to essentially stop dicking around and produce something on a monthly basis.

A smart and very reasonable goal for the year. You’ll have to push but won’t strain yourself. screaming goo yo
gis_sweden
Yesterday I started to build my 104hp "case extension".
When it's ready I have some DIY modules to solder.
mckenic
FINALLY put vocals on my Bristol-ish dark trip-hop stuff and get my Mouse On Mars type stuff arranged and put out somewhere.

Found a system where Im happy with results recording abstract modular pieces - and rather quickly too - break out of the habit and try other approaches.

Looking at trying an interpretation of Wishart's Imago.

Busy if all these become possible!
(but my Gran just died and Im determined to waste less time)

thumbs up
Richie Witch
> Finish the studio upgrade I started last year.
> Consolidate my modular into one big case.
> Continue improving my beginner keyboard skills until I can play "Round Midnight".
> Finish at least 6 of the tracks I have sitting on my desktop.
> Get at least one of those tracks on the local radio station.
thevegasnerve
Finish a roughly 25-year old project of vocal and piano pieces for my family (its very close) and not allow perfection to rear its ugly head

Do a second Acef Stripe release (first was last year)

Try not to get bogged down with new gear until I finish two items above

Continue to move towards a hardware setup for recording and live performance

Slowly dip my toes into video production
mmp
Write more music.
Repair broken stuff
Thin the synth herd
Build a show for local performance
Make a little money
Travel some
racooniac
as a noob my only goal is:
- dont buy modules faster than i can learn them inside out

lets see how good that one goes wink
calaveras
I started a fairly middle class job recently. If it works out I'm going to start having disposable income again. I already own most of the gear I need to make music. I've already got dozens of recordings organized into a few dozen albums/EPs. At this point gear purchases are just to buy slightly nicer versions of what I already have.
So I think I'm gonna start a label. Put out stuff for every band I've ever been in. All the stuff I'm doing now. And maybe some other peoples stuff.

I'm also going to try and do more collabs, and live performances.
If I have time I want to get back into making some experimental instruments
itsritual
Get rid of gear.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3