MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Some pictures of my DAW setup now that it's all rack mounted
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Some pictures of my DAW setup now that it's all rack mounted
cwhiley
Here's a few pictures of my DAW setup. The rack mounted Windows box serves as a VSTI sound bank of sorts on the Presonus FireStudio interface and the MacBook is attached to the FireStudio 16.0.2. mixer for tracking. Plan on just using the included Capture software....nothing fancy.

I am pretty proud of the rack build though. It took a lot of planning and dollars to put that thing together. It's semi-road ready.

cwhiley
Nobody has anything to say? :(
Ockeghem
Looks nice.
How are you liking the Matrixbrute compared to the VST instruments? Do you record acoustic instruments too since you have some mics in the background?
JohnLRice
Good job! thumbs up

I have no idea what your work flow is so I'm wondering why the rack case is on such a tall stand compared to your monitors and keyboards? hmmm.....
cwhiley
Ockeghem wrote:
Looks nice.
How are you liking the Matrixbrute compared to the VST instruments? Do you record acoustic instruments too since you have some mics in the background?

I BARELY know the MAtrixBrute and I dunno quite what to make of it yet. It's an unbelievably DEEP instrument. There's just so much to it. I'm overwhelmed. I'm in over my head. I'm lost frankly. There's a huge permeutation of sonic possibilities with this thing. Literally my first hardware synth and I dunno if I'm coming or going. The presets are SWEET tho. Do I like it? Yes. Do I know what the hell I'm doing? Hell no. Will I learn it? I hope so. There's really no comparing it to VST's. It's very creamy and warm. Has a personality for sure....nothing like the cold digital soft synth world.

Well I play the saxophone (since I Was 11, I'm 38 now) and so I need a mic. I'm hoping to work with others again in the future so I have a few extra stands and mics.

This is a brand new project I am starting from the ground up. Who knows where it will lead.
cwhiley
JohnLRice wrote:
Good job! thumbs up

I have no idea what your work flow is so I'm wondering why the rack case is on such a tall stand compared to your monitors and keyboards? hmmm.....

It's funny you mention it friend. I dunno what the hell my workflow is yet. LOL Yes, it's ridiculously high but I did that just to get it off the ground and I had to stop spending money so I just used an old keyboard stand I had lying around. I need a 16"x32"piece of plywood so I can lower the thing down....but who knows....in a live application it may be handy like that.

Workflow is a definite WORK IN PROGRESS.
cwhiley
These are the latest additions fresh of the FedEx and UPS truck. Muah hah hah hahhhhh! Except for Mr. Maximillion. He's been around. He's the best part of the studio. smile

So it's the Novation Peak and the Novation LaunchPad Pro controller in lieu of a keyboard. Stupid fun right out of the box. Creativity waterfall this combination. Also pictured is my new Akai EWI electric wind instrument midi controller. Since my keyboard chops are basically total crap I'm hoping this will help me write a little more efficiently.

JohnLRice
cwhiley wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Good job! thumbs up

It's funny you mention it friend. I dunno what the hell my workflow is yet. LOL Yes, it's ridiculously high but I did that just to get it off the ground and I had to stop spending money so I just used an old keyboard stand I had lying around. I need a 16"x32"piece of plywood so I can lower the thing down....but who knows....in a live application it may be handy like that.

Workflow is a definite WORK IN PROGRESS.
Ahh yes, I understand all too well! With infinite time and money I'm pretty sure sooner or later I could accomplish pretty much anything I set my mind to! hihi
JohnLRice
Sweet gear and cat! love
idm
Looks very nice man! And sweet cat!

If I can give you some advice (or maybe it's just not on the photos smile ): Try to place two of the same speakers left and right of your monitors in an evenly divided triangle. For mixing duties this is the best. Depending on the kind of speakers you have (midfield or nearfield) make the triangle bigger.

The 38% is the ideal sitting distance from your back wall. Hope this helps smile

If you want your mixes to become better, maybe invest in some audio treatment on your walls.
cwhiley
idm wrote:
Looks very nice man! And sweet cat!

If I can give you some advice (or maybe it's just not on the photos smile ): Try to place two of the same speakers left and right of your monitors in an evenly divided triangle. For mixing duties this is the best. Depending on the kind of speakers you have (midfield or nearfield) make the triangle bigger.

The 38% is the ideal sitting distance from your back wall. Hope this helps smile

If you want your mixes to become better, maybe invest in some audio treatment on your walls.

THANK YOU idm for your input! Well, it's funny you mention it...I changed the arrangement somewhat now that I have two of those nifty Gator utility tables to work with...and I purchased some proper monitor stands. So I have improved that admittedly poorly thought out setup I had initially there. Sure, the walls need treatment as does the vibrating ass ceiling....but truthfully my recording will be quite limited to SoundCloud demo quality stuff. If I ever develop any material of use for actual release I would employ a professional studio. I'm no audio engineer and this prosumer recording gear of mine is probably quite substandard (not to mention a junky old basement room with 1978 electrical wiring).
cwhiley
I just had to share this fresh shot. I had to go away for 6 days (unannounced) and Mr. Maximillion apparently missed me. I so love this cat.
cwhiley
This is the second cat I have ever owned. My first was run over while I was incarcerated due to the incompetence and laziness of my shit ex. This one, my goodness, I literally get like love tingles when I look at his pictures. I daydream about him. It's downright ridiculous. You all wish you had my cat. grin
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1