MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

So, is BEMI still a mess?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author So, is BEMI still a mess?
science
Been procrastinating for a long time on getting my 225e upgraded, mostly because it seemed like they couldn't get their shit together and I didn't want to risk sending anything to them. I've been out of the loop for a while.. what's the current situation?

Is it worth the risk, or am I better off just buying a newer 225e second hand at this point?
Eurocat
They are selling out to Arturia so yeah they are a huge mess. I heard they may end up partnering with Behringer in 2018. A new 200 e will run about 599.00.
science
I feel like you're fucking with me, but I'm so far out of the loop that I'm not sure what to make of that.
papz
The Arturia thing is real : https://www.arturia.com/products/buchla-easel-v/overview

About Behringer, nothing can be less sure. w00t

But BEMI was already a mess long before, and now it's even worse, from my own experience get support seems impossible not only as a customer but even as an official retailer as well.
JohnLRice
I don't know at all but maybe contact Noisebug since they've been Buchla seller for a long time?
http://www.noisebug.net/site/buchla/index.cfm?ID=28
pre55ure
Of everyone I have talked to, Eric at Foxtone seems to have the closest relationship with BEMI. He is also a very straight up honest and helpful guy (in my experience). I'd try there first.
Eurocat
I was messing about the Behringer.. Hope they don’t merge.
I agree about Eric at Foxtone, he is a awesome dude!
pelican
Not sure, but i’ve been waiting 4 months for my easel.
Oxix52
I wish things were as they were before BEMI. For the first few years after I got in to Buchla, things were good. Calling B&A meant you had a good chance of talking to the man himself. Yeah, orders were slow, but they always came by the time quoted. Service, for me, was great. I sent modules in a few times but the turn around was always quick, and often free. I miss being able to trade in stuff at full value. Didn't like the new module? Trade it in at full value towards another one. I did that when going from my first 6-module boat to an 18-module cabinet. Maybe all of these "perks" were not good for their business, but it sure made me a happy customer.

I got most of my system before the change. Yeah, I got some great deals from BEMI during the crazy sales, but BEMI seem to have fallen flat in regards to all of the great promises and ideas they were talking about in the beginning. I haven't tried to buy anything lately from them. Honestly, I'm not sure I will. I was hoping early on that they would continue to be represented here in this community, but as far as I know, they haven't posted anything in a long time. Who is the "face" of BEMI? Should someone come to mind when I think of them?

I have to say, during my last Buchla-buying spree, I went through Foxtone. They were exemplary and handled a lot of the potential issues with BEMI. They got me great deals and made sure I got exactly what I wanted as quickly as possible. Eric is great and kept the communication timely. I don't think anyone would go wrong with Foxtone.

I also want to say that I'm very glad there is a healthy cloning crowd here. And, I'm happy to see the 3rd party builders starting to grow. I hope that doesn't end anytime soon. There is no telling what the future holds for BEMI and the 200e, but hopefully, the cloners and 3rd party manufaturers will keep the Buchla format alive.
@green
I want to see BEMI flourish!

I feel like the market for Buchla Format products is expanding greatly by the minute and it would be sad to see the legacy die.

I'd love to see more third party e Series compatible modules, this would be pointless without patch storage and base system modules from BEMI.

Seems like Don put his heart and soul into the 252e which is a newer BEMI product

Let's support BEMI! I agree it was pretty rough for a while

Eric Foxtone + BEMI=Happy Camper
mirf59

I've been kinda peeved watching the price swings. A 200e module list price is as volatile as natural gas on the open market.

The prices seem to be associated strictly with the popularity of the modules. The more essential and popular a module is, the more the ask price has gone up since BEMI came in.

For example, the 207e used to be listed for something like $799 and the 206e for $699. Then, it seems someone went through and reviewed the popularity of the modules, and the ask price for a 206e went through the roof. This occurred even as the ask price of a 225e remained stable, so it had nothing to do with the price of manufacturing the preset manager.

The same thing happened with 257e and 256e. The ask price for a 257e used to be in the neighborhood of $1499, and the 256e was maybe $1099. Now that price differential has been flipped in a grotesque manner, despite threads here that argue that 257e is superior technically, more recent tech, better tech.

So, there is a high degree of arbitrariness to the module prices and the price changes. It looks like "charge those suckers what they are willing to pay."

This is a shady business practice in my opinion, and makes it very difficult to plan finances to acquire a system.

OK. Rant over.

@green
I guess the big question is, what would they do if they were blindly supported as taking over the Buchla name and legacy?
mousegarden
I hope they aern't in a mess, I just spent a few thousand on an Easel today, this thread doesnt exactly inspire confidence.
meska
Quote:
Reese P. Dubin
Has there been any significant evidence since the establishment of BEMI that they are not a total mess?
J3RK
mousegarden wrote:
I hope they aern't in a mess, I just spent a few thousand on an Easel today, this thread doesnt exactly inspire confidence.

Well, on the plus side, there are a LOT of people on this site alone that are well versed in the inner workings of an Easel. (even the BEMI version) If BEMI's response to an issue isn't to your liking, perhaps someone here can help. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that, but I wouldn't worry too much about your investment.
papz
eek!
Am I the only one who finds it uncomfortable to read this kind of consideration when it comes to brand new instruments sold several thousand dollars by a known manufacturer via an official retailers network ?
J3RK
papz wrote:
eek!
Am I the only one who finds it uncomfortable to read this kind of consideration when it comes to brand new instruments sold several thousand dollars by a known manufacturer via an official retailers network ?

No, you're definitely not the only one. I don't have too much to say about it since I'm not planning to buy anything from them. I do take an interest though, and hope for only the best scenario to play out.
mutierend
I'm hovering of the Checkout button on Foxtone with over $10k in the cart. Threads like this make me close the tab. :(
Drillionaire
Just wanted to chime in and say that I was the repair tech at BEMI for a number of years, and still do repair and service work on all Buchla products. I'm happy to help provide support however I can. Anyone is welcome to get in touch with any questions they might have.
mutierend
Drillionaire wrote:
Just wanted to chime in and say that I was the repair tech at BEMI for a number of years, and still do repair and service work on all Buchla products. I'm happy to help provide support however I can. Anyone is welcome to get in touch with any questions they might have.

That's awesome. Makes me more confident in buying BEMI. This is fun!
missingtwin
Drillionaire charles is someone I can vouch for 100% with regard to the current bemi stuff. He also helped me with some excellent mods for the 218e (arp latch and midi in). He would be my go to if an “e” module started acting up.
papz
J3RK wrote:
No, you're definitely not the only one. I don't have too much to say about it since I'm not planning to buy anything from them. I do take an interest though, and hope for only the best scenario to play out.

Totally agree, I did myself some servicing on several poorly working and/or uncalibrated BEMI Easels although these were brand new from the box and I'm happy I could help the poor eroded owners.
What I hardly figure out is people still buy their products being aware of the poor build quality, lack of control, inconsistent customer service and high risk of problem. Other companies got blamed and boycott and sank because of smaller and less severe breaches.
High end synths is definitely a weird world.
erstlaub
I was speaking to a pal about this earlier and the somewhat cult of (modern) BEMI and wondered if there was one less zero on an easel's price, if people would be more inclined to complain about that stuff?
Precarious
Drillionaire has been very helpful as I fumble my way into Buchla world!

Currently have Noisebug helping to solve an issue. When I bought my LEM case I specifically contacted BEMI to make sure I could later transfer the 226h CV-to-MIDI Converter for use in a larger case. They said "You sure can!"

Now I'm finding the module makes use of MIDI/USB ports built into the LEM case and there is no commercially available panel I can use in a non-LEM case. I'm waiting to hear back on the price of a build that will work. Meanwhile, there is nothing in the description of this module to suggest its use is limited to LEM cases.

Additionally, I have to buy two H-Power Adapters at $100 each to run the four 200h modules outside the LEM.

In general, I find the lack of documentation annoying. I need to contact BEMI regularly to answer questions and they sometimes don't answer at all. Luckily there are forum members like Drillionaire willing to chime in when I ask here.

Love the modules so far. Just wish they were backed up with solid documentation and customer service.

Some experiments using my tiny system here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194509&start=0
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2