MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Purchase Easel through BEMI or Clones?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Purchase Easel through BEMI or Clones?
beersbikesbuns
I've been considering jumping in a buchla this year and am looking at getting an Easel K, in part because I like the idea of having a set instrument. Knowing the current situation with BEMI, their rising prices, and that there are people on here who build clones.

What are people's thoughts on the best way to get into a Buchla system? Any advice in terms of cost and quality would be great smile

Thanks!
pyjamarama
having tried both approaches I would absolutely go the clone way. depends allot on who you get to build of course but from my experience the plusses included:

better quality build
outstanding service and support
cheaper
more flexible in terms of adapting to your own preferences and idiosyncrasies within reason.
beersbikesbuns
Thanks, pyjamarama! You confirmed some of my suspicions. For the clone route, I would likely end up still buying the controller through BEMI. Do you know if there are other options for the 223e controller?

Do you have a clone builder you'd recommend?
papz
Where are you located ?
I'm in Belgium and have a good experience building and calibrating top quality 208s.
I also just started offering affordable DIY sets : https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192897
This is my job, I'm VAT-registered and able to deliver invoices.
beersbikesbuns
Great to knowpapz! I'm currently based in the US. Do you also sell built modules or just the diy kits?
papz
I build 208s on command.
beersbikesbuns
papz Awesome! I'll PM you for details smile
Musicology of Dreams
I do highly recommended Papz great sound quality DIY builds Buchla 222e
Enjoy It's peanut butter jelly time!
auxren
I too highly recommend papz.
auxren
His builds are worth the shipping to the US.
papz
Thanks guys w00t
beersbikesbuns
Thanks for those great references! Appreciate the community making this so easy for me
pyjamarama
sorry to come back a bit late but I couldn't say enough good things about djangosfire. he's based in the US and is exellent. real care to detail and stellar support after the fact too.
mutierend
I bought a BEMI Easel K. I didn't really know about the clones at the time I bought mine. I think you can go either way and be happy. smile
auxren
pyjamarama wrote:
sorry to come back a bit late but I couldn't say enough good things about djangosfire. he's based in the US and is exellent. real care to detail and stellar support after the fact too.

Djangosfire is top notch but he's hung up his building hat for a while to focus on enjoying like and making music.
papz
I suggested Djangosfire in pm to beersbikesbuns too thumbs up
Didn't know he's having a break...
Peake
Strongly adding to the voices celebrating Djangosfire and his builds. Get something when he's working again.
MindMachine
mutierend wrote:
I bought a BEMI Easel K. I didn't really know about the clones at the time I bought mine. I think you can go either way and be happy. smile

Care to share your order particulars regarding order process and delivery times, etc.? Who, what , when?

I think a lot of people are looking for some positives from BEMI over the last 18 months or so.

MM
softroom
I bought a BEMI and really struggled to get it fully working, most particularly the keyboard. Selected keys simply stop working after a while being used and I was advised to make a new earth lead, to power up well away from the unit, to power up touching the synth body but still keeping away from the keyboard, to play without shoes etc. etc. I even tried a replacement keyboard but it was exactly the same and in the end I reluctantly gave up hope and am having a clone built instead.
Of the BEMI, the arpeggiator is useful, the MIDI frustratingly half-arsed, the envelope bizarre and the general finish not what you'd expect from an instrument that costs this much. It may, however, be possible to get a good one if the luck fairy is on your side.
Jerome
I highly recommend Papz as well. I bought him a 208 rev 1 and it's a dream to play. Great sound quality and the building is done with lots of care and love.
InnnerSight
My turned up in a month, it all worked as expected. I knew about the midi implementation and envelope through research, the midi doesn't bother me as I rarely use it, the envelope can be frustrating but once I knew the way it worked then I just got on with it. I was expecting the worse so I guess I was preparing myself for it so I was pleasantly surprised.

I was after the easel as a complete instrument in a suitcase, so I have been happy with my choice.
papz
Merci Jérôme cool
pickleinn
I love my BEMI easel - I got it back in 2014 and havent had an issue with it other than some minor reverb stuff.

However, I am considering selling it and building or buying a 208 clone. as much as i love the all in one instrument factor of the BEMI, i really just want the 208.
@green
Love my BEMI Easel! I have had it back to BEMI several times, but they always own it and do it right.

Ordered an LEM 4 218 Snoopy with a 266e instead of the utilities. Really excited!

I like the modern features of the BEMI stuff

Also, building an older black knob 200 series clone system...DIY Clone building is really fun, but feel weird about the copyright stuff if I'm being honest.

Wouldn't be apposed to owning a clone easel and know it is a different animal, but I need the midi sync and arpeggiator of the 218 for what I do in my project.
Clockgate
I just got an Easel K a few weeks ago. Ordered from KMR Audio in London on the Saturday, and picked it up on the Monday. Great service from these guys.

Everything seems to work as it should and the build quality looks excellent. applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2