MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modern Electronic Music Terms
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Modern Electronic Music Terms
Koryo
So I was watching a vid of Matt Lange Talking about a 'reece', 'riece' [sp] and I could not figure out (Google) what he is talking about.

*edit: 3:50 in the video.

So what are some modern electronic music terms that I need to be edumacated in?

Hoover, I kinda know what it is. Pad, why pad? When is a drone considered a pad? Stab, I got stab. There is a thread in the eurorack about 'Microhouse' and I was rolling my eyes but to my surprise, everyone seemed to know and love the genre. This excerpt kinda sums up my reaction...

Quote:
"Stupid genre names are as much a part of dance music as ecstasy, strobes and wanting to kill yourself every Sunday afternoon. Due to our rapacious need to categorize everything into smaller and smaller groups until every record released has its own section at Hardwax or on Beatport, we're forced to come up with worse and worse names. One of the worst of these is microhouse, a termed coined by noted dance music journalist Philip Sherburne in an issue of..."

May we get a list of electronic music terms that everyone should (or should not) know about.
NU
Reese
Koryo
Wait, hold the phone, you are telling me that 'Reese- Just Want Another Chance's' baseline, a sound that I have always loved about electronic music is called a Reese?!
scrunday
Reese Bass. Bingo.
commodorejohn
That's so klandinctu it's downright wizard, daddy-O.
dubonaire
Microhouse was a strong and well characterized style which used micro edits. It made sense to call it that. I'm not sure if Sherburne invented the name or not, for a few years there he worked hard at being the most important person in dance music. I think the perverse thing is not the number of sub genres, but when people argue over whether or not a tune fits the genre. Given the sheer number of releases, some kind of classification system is needed.

A synth pad is conceptually shorter than a drone I suppose, something used to pad out a length of music.
neandrewthal
I had no idea what a Reese is so thanks for that.

I agree that Microhouse isn't a good example of a terrible electronic genre name. The worst names aren't the ones coined by journalists or probably even fans but those made up by musicians who are trying to make snowflakes out of themselves by stringing together every adjective they can think of to describe their music like post-progressive melodic happy hard trance or some shit like that.

I always saw a pad as simply a chord that fades in and hangs about rather than starting or stopping abruptly. Not saying I'm right, just what I had in my head.

I'm not sure if the definition of stab is actually more diverse, but I always saw it solely as those cheesy staccato bursts of discordant string samples that people loved in the late 80s to early 90s.
medium Rob
I believe in Braindance. How about Peter Blasser's terminology? White (?) noise = the beach, triangle waves = horns, etc.
blaerg
http://www.factmag.com/2012/01/26/evol-wormhole-shubz/

Koryo
blaerg or medium sized Rob, can you help me out here?

So I just heard a new one to me (Thanks GARDNSOUND) Uzi snares. I may of heard it before, but the spirit of this thread right?

My electronic journey started with 808 State - Cubik.

I would be much obliged if someone just flat out told me what the opening synth voice is comprised of in this track.

*dear god this is a horrible video.
Koryo
Melisma - a group of notes sung to one syllable of text.

Hyper metric
dubonaire
Koryo wrote:
blaerg or medium sized Rob, can you help me out here?

So I just heard a new one to me (Thanks GARDNSOUND) Uzi snares. I may of heard it before, but the spirit of this thread right?

My electronic journey started with 808 State - Cubik.

I would be much obliged if someone just flat out told me what the opening synth voice is comprised of in this track.

*dear god this is a horrible video.

Banging rapidly on the snare to sound like an Uzi firing is called Uzi snares. Or it could be trap snares by Lil Uzi cool

According to Graham Massey for Cubik they used a Casio FZ1 sampler, a Waldorf Microwave and a Bit 99 digital keyboard. My electronic journey started much earlier but it was rekindled by 808 State's 90 album.
MindMachine
Bazooka bass was more 80's as where 90's mortar launches were pure. Howitzers are endless in the new generation cure. Potato mashers versus pineapples all blow apart.
Dcramer
angry Bleepcore w00t
Koryo
First I came here to say:

Hemiola: A 3:2 ratio

Which lead me to Conlon Nancarrow who was doing Black Midi in the 1930s

And we all thought we were being so clever with our clock dividers and ployrhythms...

Goin_noW
Reesecore))))))
Koryo
Time for more of this sh.t.

What is the definition of a 'Flannel Kit'?
johnbaptistephilouza
blaerg wrote:
http://www.factmag.com/2012/01/26/evol-wormhole-shubz/

best band
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1