MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

compact rack mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author compact rack mixer
Granny
hey, im trying to find a good, intuitive rack mixer. was looking at Mackie LM-3204 and Studiomaster 162BPX. any experience or other suggestions?
pzoot
Some recent discussion here ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188178&start=0&postd ays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Granny
hey thanks, but 1U/2U is too small. 6U would be best
calaveras
how many channels do you need?
You can get an old Yamaha PM170 for cheap, but it is only 6 channels plus an aux input.
Granny
thanks! im eying the Mackie LM-3204. theres not so much stuff to find in this feature/size category

i also found:

RCF - MX 1822
http://www.rcf.it/image/image_gallery?uuid=f789e1f1-93fa-4340-b311-30a 8fd7a5e4d&groupId=216492&t=1238158926487

Yamaha MV-1602
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDYwWDgwMA==/z/hXgAAOSw-jFZ65ns/$_20.JPG
itsritual
The LM-3204s are great. Or if you don't need the stereo channels, the CR-1604 is a classic. They are usually cheaper and more plentiful.
MindMachine
Roland M-480 (they may have smaller) or Speck Xtramix.
calaveras
If you've never owned a Mackie. Just get the Mackie.
It's got plusses and minuses.
Mostly, its pretty clean and low noise, but the EQ is shit, and they are the least british sounding thing to mix on. No warmth.
Granny
i actually got a little Macke that i just send back for repair because it was very noisy. but i think there was something wrong with it.

im trying to find something decent that fits in my rack next to my effects as i dont have a lot of space. so the form factor is important and if it doesn't make the sound worse ill go for it.

thanks!
calaveras
In defense of the Lm3204, that is a early Mackie product. IMHO the first series of Mackies. The 1202, 1604 and 3204 are all better sounding then the later VLZ versions. Though they lack some of the cooler features the later versions have. They do a better job of passing audio through without smearing it.
r05c03
TOA D4/D4E?
calaveras
there are also all those Roland rackmount mixers.
like this one on Ebay
http://ebay.to/2F9Tvo7
Tons of channels, tons of effects returns and balanced outs on XLR.
On the negative I'm not 100% on the contruction. It looks like a piece of home stereo gear.
There is one model I can never remember the name of that has a ton of inputs, outputs and returns. AND it has a midi patchbay.
Here we go I thought it was Roland, it's Tascam.
http://ebay.to/2m3lTzy
Frickin monstrosity. I kind of want to buy it myself. I like the idea of having a midi switch built in, with select per channel. At the same time it looks like the kind of thing that can't possibly not be noisy.
khyber
Go for the LM3204, very flexible setup options and has the classic Mackie sound (if that's your thing)
Granny
khyber wrote:
Go for the LM3204, very flexible setup options and has the classic Mackie sound (if that's your thing)

thats the only thing thats bothering me smile feature wise and with its size its perfect. but what does classic mackie sound even mean? cold, clean and a tiny bit worse then the original signal?

i wish sound craft would make rack mixers like these. they are not expensive and seem to have good sound, eqs

i would love to try a mackie. maybe i should be more flexible, just buy one and if i think its nah, sell it again. but its so much easier to ask people on the internets screaming goo yo
CF3
Granny wrote:
khyber wrote:

thats the only thing thats bothering me smile feature wise and with its size its perfect. but what does classic mackie sound even mean? cold, clean and a tiny bit worse then the original signal?

i wish sound craft would make rack mixers like these. they are not expensive and seem to have good sound, eqs

i would love to try a mackie. maybe i should be more flexible, just buy one and if i think its nah, sell it again. but its so much easier to ask people on the internets screaming goo yo

I had a LM3204 for YEARS as a sub-mixer. Feature wise I couldn't complain, but I definitely wasn't crazy about the sound or build quality.

Soundcraft did make some rack mixers under the Spirit name, like the RacPac. Which can be had quite cheap used.

Depending on how big you wanna go, those Crest mixers like the X20R, X18R look cool.

The Ashly mixers are pretty nice.

As mentioned, Roland made a bunch... M120, M160, M240r, and the monster M480!

And if you're feeling like a baller, the SSL X-Desk can be racked. Never maintain cash savings again
Granny
thank you guys! The Roland mixers look decent and i had never heard about Soundcraft RacPac. Ill keep an eye on those

appreciate all your suggestions!
Granny
CF3 wrote:

I had a LM3204 for YEARS as a sub-mixer. Feature wise I couldn't complain, but I definitely wasn't crazy about the sound or build quality.

sorry, to ask again but not being crazy about the sound means what exactly?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1