MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

~Under $350 Drum Machines for Live Performance
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author ~Under $350 Drum Machines for Live Performance
ancientbones
Hello,

Any suggestions for a cheap drum machine that'd be good for gritty hardware techno?

I'm trying to stay under $350.

So far I'm torn between:
Korg ER-1
Arturia Drumbrute
Volca Beats
Akai Tom Cat

Ideally I'd like something that's a little more unique than the usual 808 and 909 sounds. Something with a little character, but is still versatile.
chess1
I am seeing MPC 2000xls pop up for that price.
itsritual
Could definitely recommend Electribes at that price point. Especially if its for live performances.
calaveras
Machinedrum SPS1 MKI. The new lineup of Elektron boxes has been a bear market for older Elektron gear.
Also the older Electribe stuff is easily in that range.
dubonaire
I think the drumbrute's percussion is not up to techno
ancientbones
calaveras wrote:
Machinedrum SPS1 MKI. The new lineup of Elektron boxes has been a bear market for older Elektron gear.
Also the older Electribe stuff is easily in that range.


You can really get a machinedrum for that cheap? Also what electribe models are best?
odditymedium
lxr!
khyber
Honestly a TR8 isn't all that bad of a machine and they can be had for around that price.

KORG ER-1 as you mentioned is cheap and cheerful but it feels like it needs a buddy to compliment it.

The newer Electribes as well as the bigger models with the vacuum tubes excel as drum machines with all of the on board samples they contain
ancientbones
khyber wrote:
Honestly a TR8 isn't all that bad of a machine and they can be had for around that price.

KORG ER-1 as you mentioned is cheap and cheerful but it feels like it needs a buddy to compliment it.

The newer Electribes as well as the bigger models with the vacuum tubes excel as drum machines with all of the on board samples they contain


My only thing is I'd like to avoid samples if possible. I'd rather have synthetic drums.

I was also looking into the nord drum and a beatstep pro, but from what I've read online the two don't really sync well together. I'm totally open to drum synths that would work well with a bsp too.

Ideally I'd like to have a modular environment for drums, but I can't afford that right now.
gentle_attack
I'd think about a Volca Sample + Volca Beats combo. Beats gives you some basic synthesis, and you can load up the Sample with some glitchy sounds, synthesized drums (packs or your own), whatever else you might want to use.

When you say you "don't want samples"... why?
urlwolf
Audiothingies (of Micromonsta fame) just released a drum machine under that price. If it's anything like the MM, it'll be a nobrainer.
ancientbones
gentle_attack wrote:
I'd think about a Volca Sample + Volca Beats combo. Beats gives you some basic synthesis, and you can load up the Sample with some glitchy sounds, synthesized drums (packs or your own), whatever else you might want to use.

When you say you "don't want samples"... why?


I've been working with samples for the last 10 years in trackers. I'd just like something different for a change.
WaveRider
check the cyclone(s) at perfect circuit

I have a TT78, love it smile
ancientbones
urlwolf wrote:
Audiothingies (of Micromonsta fame) just released a drum machine under that price. If it's anything like the MM, it'll be a nobrainer.


This actually looks really good! About $315 in usd. Drum synthesis and samples which sounds great to me. I could just not use the samples.
roger
MFB 522 or 503.
lisa
TR8 is great but if you want to avoid the 808 and 909 sound go for the Drumbrute. It’s great for performing live and if you’re any good it’ll sound plenty tachno. twisted
ancientbones
lisa wrote:
TR8 is great but if you want to avoid the 808 and 909 sound go for the Drumbrute. It’s great for performing live and if you’re any good it’ll sound plenty tachno. twisted


The interface looks great on it, but my only gripe is that some of the sounds are kinda meh. The kicks sound good, snare is pretty rough.

I like the sound of the volca beats. I'd just have to mod the snare and do individual outs. I just don't think the sequencer on it is very good. No swing :(. I'm not sure if pairing it with a BSP will help at all.
Koekepan
Zoom Arq 96 is going for that budget, and is quite capable.

Also, trippy. Never neglect the trippy.
@realwiggler
I just got to spend sometime with the boutique TR-08 and........it’s a hot lil drum machine for the money. WAY better than the tr8 imo
vanianbulman
ER-1 kills everything is terms of experimental potential!
Nightly Closures
Used mfb 522. Jammed on a drumbrute last week. It can most certainly do techno. It’s sequencer is very good as well. Get some pedals, maaaaaan.
slicetwo
The Volca Beats is fun as a toy, but I wouldn't rely on it to handle all your percussion duties. Are you planning on sequencing your DM on it's own or with other hardware? If it's the latter, then I'd 2nd the suggestion for the new AudioThingies Double Drummer. That thing looks dope.
computer controlled
Nightly Closures wrote:
Used mfb 522. Jammed on a drumbrute last week. It can most certainly do techno. It’s sequencer is very good as well. Get some pedals, maaaaaan.


I had a 522 for quite a while. I used to sequence it from the Machinedrum. That thing sounded so good, but the OS was just dumb, really, really, dumb. Def better off with an external sequencer.
soundinett
Koekepan wrote:
Zoom Arq 96 is going for that budget, and is quite capable.

Also, trippy. Never neglect the trippy.

applause
deadlyfriendly
WaveRider wrote:
check the cyclone(s) at perfect circuit

I have a TT78, love it smile


another vote (I have the TT606) the sequencer is really great, very playable with some pretty cool features.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group