MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dealing with dust
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Dealing with dust
hippasus
After a good cleaning to start the year I am wondering how to protect from dust the audio gear in my home studio when idle because of long working days outside: mixers, synths, speakers.
How do you people do? plastic covers, fabrics ... I like the home studio to be ready to go at any time.
Advises?
Thanks.
lisa

smile
hippasus
Clothes look better than plastic for sure :-) dust on external hard drive and computers is very annoying. Also is very nasty in the mixer pots and faders... I often use the cold spray but isn't cheap.
oscilloscope
Like for others dust has always been a problem for me as well.

When not in use I cover my gear with cut pieces of cotton sheets (plastic sheeting doesn't feel right plus there is the issue of static electricity).

This work well but it means a 3-5 minutes time to put on or remove (make sure you can tell which side is top ...). So yes, true enough the gear is never totally "ready at anytime". This is a price I learnt to accept to have gear mostly free of dust.

To wipe off whatever still get on the gear over time I use the OXO Good Grips Microfiber Duster (@ Amazon).

Finally, if you have some special gear that you'd want to not be covered with fabric I'd recommend polycarbonate covers by Decksavers. They are great.
http://www.decksaver.com/
umma gumma
I went to the dollar store and bought a couple small, felt lined tablecloths

folded down to fit whatever they are draped over, they work great & look ok too: blue with white grid lines on them, kind of TRON ish
Leviathant
The as-is section of Ikea always has an inexpensive selection of random curtains and textiles. That's solved my dust problem, but it doesn't prevent the cats from mucking up settings on the old console. Mixers with thick curtains draped over them are apparently one of the best spots for a cat to sleep on.
calaveras
I smoke it.
Muzone
I use a big sheet of bubble wrap, overlayed with some recycled sari material for a nicer look
Sir Ruff
Spadex keyboard covers come in a variety of sizes and are super cheap (~$16 on ebay from Sam Ash). Just do yourself a favor and buy as many as you need and be done with it. Cloth fabric, towels, sheets, etc. hold onto dust (and create it themselves) and also won't give as much dust prevention coverage as the spandex, which fits around the edges and underneath as well.

And in general, no dust cover is actually going to inhibit your workflow to the point where it outweighs having there in the first place (they take seconds to remove).
Astronaut FX
Prevention- Go to a fabric store and buy a couple of yards of some sort of fabric that tickles your fancy. That’ll likely be way cheaper than buying covers.

Removal - Vacuum cleaners with small nozzles may worl, but there could be troubles with static electric. A Swiffer brand duster is a good option. Or, you could use cans of compressed air or a small electric air blower/duster
stikygum
I just use some unused bath towels. Any cloth will do the job.
JohnLRice
Synth t-shirts! w00t cool

I recently started covering some gear with synth t-shirts, which is especially nice if the t-shirt relates to the gear it's covering. Plus it's easy to always face the same side up all the time so you don't dump a few weeks worth of dust onto the gear like might happen with unmarked t-shirts or other material. And unlike plastic materials you can just throw t-shits in with the rest of your wash when you think they are getting too dusty.

nangu
Stardust Covers has been on hiatus for several months. Whenever they come back, I’ll be buying a bunch of stuff.

I wish them the best of luck with whatever family issue that they’ve been dealing with..

https://www.stardustcovers.com
vanianbulman
I cover my synths with a clean & dry shower towel sometimes, especially if I'm smoking weed or burning incense.

I recently noticed some of my synths have crackly pots and picked up some D5. I'm a bit nervous about using it, but excited to be able to fix this issue in the future.
thelowerrhythm
I think I've got three or four shirts that have been forked over to my studio. $30-50 or so for a plastic decksaver? Nope nope nope.
mihata
Combination of decksavers, and a synthetic fabric shower curtain on top. I don’t like normal fabric to use as a cover as it contains/produces dust itself. For cleaning - microfiber cloth and hand-held vacuum cleaner.
criticalmonkey
dust is my guilt trigger for spending more time with the instruments
so much gathering dust is a bad thing

i use old towels too- wash them every few months just to keep them cleanish

honestly nothing keeps my oldest synths clean - i think they generate their own....my monopoly needs key contacts cleaned frequently and i keep it under cover all the time....
steffengrondahl
nangu wrote:
Stardust Covers has been on hiatus for several months. Whenever they come back, I’ll be buying a bunch of stuff.

I wish them the best of luck with whatever family issue that they’ve been dealing with..

https://www.stardustcovers.com

I've bought two dust covers just before Christmas. One from ebay and one directly from Humberto. So I believe he just forgot to update the site.

Astrolabe23
If you can afford one, get an air purifier with HEPA filter. Best anti dust solution I've ever found for the studio. No dust in the air - no dust to settle on the gear.
Illwiggle
I bought a $1 tiny plastic hand-broom from Chinatown & it works great......you can get in a lot of those harder to reach spaces like between the knobs on your mixing console, etc. its not perfect but its pretty helpful!

And for covers, sometimes clothing, but I like Sarongs for some reason.....not sure if they keep dust out but they sure fool me into thinking they do! And large pieces of fabric are great...... Those cheap spandex ones on ebay are good too, I have one.
Illwiggle
I bought a $1 tiny plastic hand-broom from Chinatown & it works great......you can get in a lot of those harder to reach spaces like between the knows kn your mixing console, etc. its not perfect but its pretty helpful!

And for covers, sometimes clothing, but I like Sarongs for some reason.....not sure if they keep dust out but they sure fool me into thinking they do! And large pieces of fabric are great...... Those cheap spandex ones on ebay are good too, I have one.
hippasus
Thank you for the replies, very informative. I will look for all the options.
taylor12k
i'm not a fan of dust covers because the dust just gets thrown off back into the air when you remove the cover.. so they really don't do anything.

a small vacuum cleaner for the surface of gear and dusters are my only defense.. but it's really a losing battle... i just tend to dust when i notice a buildup somewhere.

also a damp towel. i keep one of those tubes of like windex wipes in the studio as well.
soundshaper
Astrolabe23 wrote:
If you can afford one, get an air purifier with HEPA filter. Best anti dust solution I've ever found for the studio. No dust in the air - no dust to settle on the gear.

Wow, I really like this idea, I think I'll run mine in the studio when I'm not working (it's noisy!).

I use covers as much as I can, but I try to work in the studio every day and it's a pain to keep putting the covers on and taking them off. So of course prevention is key, but there's still spring cleaning that's occasionally necessary, especially my 32-ch recording console.

Anybody use one of the handheld brush-vacuums for electronics? I'm thinking about getting something like this but would be good to get opinions first if someone has used one.
Cordless Keyboard Cleaner
popvulture
Got an Xpower blower/duster off of Amazon last year. Powerful and well built... likely worth the 50 bux if you're mildly OCD like me hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1