MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Product Announcement: Low Impedance Bus Board
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Author New Product Announcement: Low Impedance Bus Board
GenusModu
New Product Announcement: We are releasing the Low Impedance Bus Board, for virtually any eurorack power distribution need. See the link below for more details.

Announcing the Low Impedance Bus Board, the quietest passive Eurorack bus board you can buy. The Genus Modu Web site, Facebook page and Youtube channel are live for more information. Further technical data including comparisons to flying bus cables, 1 ounce copper bus strips and "heavy" 4 ounce copper bus boards will be released in the coming weeks. LIBB ships in about 3 weeks. Parts and PCBs are at the manufacuturer now, the same place that does Moog PCB assemblies, so LIBB is a fully professional build. Retail price is $89, good through March 1, 2018.

http://www.genusmodu.com/products/libb.html

https://www.facebook.com/genusmodu/

Futuresound
Looks useful. How many can be safely daisy-chained?
GenusModu
I recommend just one daisy chained bus board, for an applications such as a 2 row 6U skiff or portable cabinet. That solution will still be quieter than any current single bus board solution.

You could of course daisy chain as many as you want, but that begins to defeat the purpose of maintaining low noise.

Instructions for star wiring will be provided in additional documentation that is not yet posted.
snakejaw
I am an electrical neophyte (but am very motivated to learn more). This seems interesting. I currently have a switching power supply, but I'm considering replacing it will an Acopian TD12-850 linear psu to reduce noise and and allow for plenty of power as my modular grows. What, if any, differences might you see between using this bus board with a switching psu and linear psu? Thanks.
WaveRider
curious if you could document differences in audio razz

..like real world examples
GenusModu
WaveRider wrote:
curious if you could document differences in audio razz

..like real world examples

Yes, that is coming. A real module setup with flying bus cables, 1 oz bus board, 4 oz bus board and LIBB. Stay tuned. It will be posted on the web site and some portions on the youtube channel.
GenusModu
snakejaw wrote:
I am an electrical neophyte (but am very motivated to learn more). This seems interesting. I currently have a switching power supply, but I'm considering replacing it will an Acopian TD12-850 linear psu to reduce noise and and allow for plenty of power as my modular grows. What, if any, differences might you see between using this bus board with a switching psu and linear psu? Thanks.

Acopian is a good choice. I worked there in my college days. You have probably found my PSU recommendation page which lists the Acopian power supplies and other linears.

You will see only 50/60 Hz and the first few harmonics with a linear PSU. For a switching PSU then LIBB can make a serious dent in the noise compared to other solutions. I posted switching psu noise comparisons with flying bus cables, 1 ounce copper bus board, 4 ounce copper bus board and LIBB to my Facebook page. There will also be a posting at the web site soon.
snakejaw
Small world! No, I haven't seen your PSU recommendation page. (Eric at Metasonix recommends Acopian.) Please post a link! Thanks.
GenusModu
snakejaw wrote:
Small world! No, I haven't seen your PSU recommendation page. (Eric at Metasonix recommends Acopian.) Please post a link! Thanks.

Main page: http://www.genusmodu.com/index.html

Power Supply recommendations: http://www.genusmodu.com/products/libb-psus.html
2disbetter
I'm sold.

A few questions (of which I am sure more will materialize):
Do these have to be mounted within your case? Could you use an adhesive instead?

If mounting is necessary, does it matter if the case is completely metal itself?

And finally when will these be available for sale?

2d
youkon
I think (from an extensive adhesive tape user perspective): this works:-)
youkon
your bus boards are for me the best product of 2018 so far! (doesn't count that it's January)
2disbetter
youkon wrote:
I think (from an extensive adhesive tape user perspective): this works:-)

Sure it does. I think the concern is when/if the adhesive comes undone that it could cause a fire.

2d
GenusModu
Boards are $89. Ordering from the Genus Modu web site opens 1-2 days. SynthTech will also be selling them direct.

I cannot recommend adhesive mounting as it will eventually give way and not only damage the board but also modules inside your system, when shipping or moving the product. I have a brand name skiff with glue mounts for the power/distro pcb and the mounts have already come loose.

The LIBB manual has some info on mounting. Use the supplied hardware for metal cabinets. For wood cabinets you either need much longer 4-40 screws for the wood side, or supply your own wood screws and non-threaded spacers to mount, for wood 1/2 inch or thicker.
snakejaw
Does anyone know much noise can be further reduced by passing modular audio output through something like the Intellijel Audio Interface balanced outputs when connecting to your other (balanced) hardware?
GenusModu
snakejaw wrote:
Does anyone know much noise can be further reduced by passing modular audio output through something like the Intellijel Audio Interface balanced outputs when connecting to your other (balanced) hardware?

Balanced outputs do not reduce your modular's noise, they just pass it along. I am using Intellijel Audio Interface to get the audio to my MOTU 16A for computer FFTs and wave recordings.

Balanced connections will mostly reduce the AC hum induced between the systems. I saw additional benefit with an Ebtech hum eliminator.
windspirit
Looks solid but it seems like 16 spots might be a bit tight? If you have a couple of 4HP (or even 2HP) modules in there you might run out of positions. Is this meant to be a bus for a single row?
GenusModu
windspirit wrote:
Looks solid but it seems like 16 spots might be a bit tight? If you have a couple of 4HP (or even 2HP) modules in there you might run out of positions. Is this meant to be a bus for a single row?

LIBB is meant for a single row, to fit within an 84 hp space alongside SynthTech's forthcoming Skunkworx Little Stinker power supplies. That limits the length of the board. I could consider a longer 20 connector solution in the future if there is sufficient demand.
GenusModu
Ordering for the Genus Modu Low Impedance Bus Board is now open. Please read all of the following before placing your order.
1) Be sure to read the instruction manual and look at the installation template to insure you understand everything needed for the install. Here are the direct links:
http://www.genusmodu.com/files/LIBB/LIBB-manual.pdf
http://www.genusmodu.com/files/LIBB/LIBB_A2_Mounting_Template.pdf
2) The web site has a list of recommended power supplies that meet the criteria for very low noise. Direct link here: http://www.genusmodu.com/products/libb-psus.html
However, you can use any power supply you choose, not just the recommended ones.
3) The boards start assembly this week at the manufacturer. Shipping to customers is expected to begin in 2.5 weeks.
4) If you have any questions or concerns, please inquire at genome@genusmodu.com or on Muffs before ordering.
5) For larger (5+) or bulk orders, inquire at sales@genusmodu.com before placing an order.
6) The following pricing is special introductory limited time pricing, good until March 1, 2018. After that, LIBB price will increase by $10.
7) Shipping is included in all of the following prices, which is why they are different per region.
8) US introductory pricing is $89 per Low Impedance Bus Board.
9) Canada introductory pricing is $99 per Low Impedance Bus Board.
10) For the Rest of the World introductory pricing is $109 per Low Impedance Bus Board.
9) Payment is accepted through Paypal at the email sales@genusmodu.com.
10) A buy it now link will be added to the web site in a few days.
GenusModu
Paypal "Buy Now" buttons are up on the Low Impedance Bus Board (LIBB) page at the Genus Modu web site. http://www.genusmodu.com/products/libb.html
youkon
would be interested where the Doepfer PSU3 is settled in your psu recommendation list?
GenusModu
youkon wrote:
would be interested where the Doepfer PSU3 is settled in your psu recommendation list?

Doepfer PSU3 ends up at zero since they can't publish their own specs. I will not recommend a power supply without legitimate specs or that I haven't tested myself.
GenusModu
The Low Impedance Bus Board is now shipping from stock. Reminder: the introductory pricing of $89 expires on March 1, 2018. Details are on the web site.

http://www.genusmodu.com/products/libb.html
neil.johnson
Looks like an interesting product.

I see you have a CE mark. I had a quick hunt around your website but couldn't find a copy of the Declaration of Conformity, so I was wondering which applicable safety directives the product complies with.

I also found your white paper lacking in important details. For example, none of your scope shots show the horizontal or vertical axes so other than "ooh wiggly line" there's not much else you can say about them. It would also have been useful to see a comparison between your system and a busbar-based distribution system, an approach that seems to be gaining some traction.

Thanks,
Neil
GenusModu
neil.johnson wrote:
Looks like an interesting product.

I see you have a CE mark. I had a quick hunt around your website but couldn't find a copy of the Declaration of Conformity, so I was wondering which applicable safety directives the product complies with.

I also found your white paper lacking in important details. For example, none of your scope shots show the horizontal or vertical axes so other than "ooh wiggly line" there's not much else you can say about them. It would also have been useful to see a comparison between your system and a busbar-based distribution system, an approach that seems to be gaining some traction.

Thanks,
Neil

CE Mark is for RoHS II.

The "scope" shots you refer to are more likely the Wavelab/DAW "scope" screen captures which would never have absolute measurements anyway. I referenced the amplification amounts in the white paper. Nearly all tools of that type lack resolution at the low amplitude levels needed for noise analysis. I tried many options and was not fully satisfied with any of them.

I agree real world bus bar tests would be an interesting comparison. Have you asked Graham Hinton for his results for a eurorack system? I've never seen any either.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next [all]
Page 1 of 21