MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Getting 7 ADAT Channels from my ES-6. Help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Getting 7 ADAT Channels from my ES-6. Help
Steam Shield
Good day,

I just received a new ES-3/ES-6 and have them connected to my RME UFX. All 6 inputs on the ES-6 are available as ADAT inputs in the RME but…. there is also a signal showing up on ADAT 7 even when no signals are fed to the ES-6. With audio inputs, ADAT 7 sounds like a crunchy mix of the ES-6 inputs.

I am assuming the signal on ADAT 7 isn’t normal. Can anyone re-confirm?

^^^Nothing is plugged into the ES-6 in the screen shot^^^

I’ve tried to trouble shoot, details are below.

-Cables. Same results using 4 different toslink cables.
-Moving ES-3/6 modules to their own case = same result.
-Same results on another ADAT input device (Focusrite Saffire Pro 24).
-Using RME this occurs in standalone mode or with firewire or USB.
-ES-3 seems to be working fine.
-Do not have SW software.
-No ES-7 module is present.

At 44.1 and 48Hz:
When run at 44.1/48Hz I am able to receive 6 channels of ADAT on the RME from the ES-6. No problems there, except an audio signal on ADAT 7.

-If nothing is plugged into the ES-6, ADAT 7 on the RME registers a signal, probably DC offset.
-The signal on the RME ADAT 7 seems to be a mix of ES-6 inputs 1-6.
-Distortion. The ADAT ch7 signal on the RME clips a lot and the audio output usually sounds distorted even when not clipping.

At 96Hz:
-The 'mixed' signal appears on ADAT 4 on the RME.
-The input jacks on the ES-6 don’t seem to correspond 1 to 1 with the ADAT channels in the RME.
-An audio signal into ch2 on the ES-6 arrives at RME, ADAT 1.
-An audio signal into ch4 on the ES-6 arrives at RME, ADAT 2.

Anyways, I’ll probably just exchange the ES-6 for another one but thought I'd document my experience for future reference.

Any comments / thoughts / ideas / suggestions are welcome!!!
Remote337
Hi

I don't have a UFX just the original Fireface 800 but I had something similar previously which turned out to be a routing issue in the Totalmix software. Not sure why but it seemed like it was expecting 8 channels not six so had routed one of the channels into 7 & 8.

Probably not the reason bit worth look!
Steam Shield
Remote337 wrote:
Hi

I don't have a UFX just the original Fireface 800 but I had something similar previously which turned out to be a routing issue in the Totalmix software. Not sure why but it seemed like it was expecting 8 channels not six so had routed one of the channels into 7 & 8.

Probably not the reason bit worth look!

I was thinking the same about TotalMix but still get a signal on ADAT 7 when muting all other channels.
os
I would not expect to see a signal on ADAT 7 when using the ES-6, but then, since you would have nothing there anyway, just muting it seems like a perfectly workable option.
Steam Shield
os wrote:
I would not expect to see a signal on ADAT 7 when using the ES-6, but then, since you would have nothing there anyway, just muting it seems like a perfectly workable option.

Os, Thanks for the reply. Yes, fully operable at 48kHz. But I’m working with the vendor to do an exchange. So far I really enjoy the Eurorack/ADAT workflow (wish I did this sooner) and want to sort the ES-6 first then add an ES-7. Not sure how this unit would fair with an ES-7 connected.
jdvmi00
I have the same issue. OP was it determined to be a faulty ES-6?
os
Please see:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2833735#2833735
jdvmi00
Thank you so much! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1