MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Standard Easel, or "K" ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Standard Easel, or "K" ?
mousegarden
OK, I'm lowering my sights a bit in the hope of fullfiling my Buchla desires...
So I'm thinking of an Easel, but can't make up my mind, Ive always liked the idea of the Touché keypad, but not sure if I'd be loosing out on some other desirable functions by ditching the standard keyboard? Also, if I was to choose the LEM 208 Easel, any suggestions for useful modules to populate the rest of the case?

hmmm.....
InnnerSight
I had the same dilemma. I love the functionality and looks of the 223e but I wanted an easy way to play scales without constantly having to program them. Also the easel is currently the only piece of Buchla that I own so I felt I wouldn't be using the 223e's functionality to its full extent (maybe someone with one can say). So in the end I went with the 218 and I have been very happy with my choice.

The Easel is a very compact instrument which encourages close interaction with sliders etc so its very hands on in general, so for me it didn't warrant the additional cost and functionality of the 223e.

With regards to the LEM 208 Easel, its worth finding out what modules you could power with the current easel power supply. For me it would be 225e, 261e, 281e, and 292e to add another voice and presets plus allow me to sequence it from my Digitakt - the 291e would also get some serious thought.
mousegarden
InnnerSight wrote:
I had the same dilemma. I love the functionality and looks of the 223e but I wanted an easy way to play scales without constantly having to program them. Also the easel is currently the only piece of Buchla that I own so I felt I wouldn't be using the 223e's functionality to its full extent (maybe someone with one can say). So in the end I went with the 218 and I have been very happy with my choice.

The Easel is a very compact instrument which encourages close interaction with sliders etc so its very hands on in general, so for me it didn't warrant the additional cost and functionality of the 223e.

With regards to the LEM 208 Easel, its worth finding out what modules you could power with the current easel power supply. For me it would be 225e, 261e, 281e, and 292e to add another voice and presets plus allow me to sequence it from my Digitakt - the 291e would also get some serious thought.

Thanks for that, yes! I too love the look of the 223e! It looks like an alien keyboard from another planet.
The 208 options? I think I'd go for a complex oscillator, and some sort of random voltage generator, and of course, the 250e Arbitrary Function Generator. The only one out of your choice I wouldn't really need myself is the 225e, the rest is good. But that little lot would double the cost of the instrument, probably more, then you're getting into Skylab territory.
reverberation
I bought an Easel K at the end of 2016 and after some weeks I decided I needed a 218 keyboard instead. I guess I was too stupid for the K and that the 223e felt a bit pointless when the Easel was the only Buchla I had.

Some two years later, I still don't regret my trading and I'm totally bitten by the Buchla bug so I have a lot more Buchla modules now. No e-modules though (if you don't count the BEMI Easel).

If you plan on the Easel being your only Buchla, I would go for a version with the 218 keyboard instead.
mousegarden
reverberation wrote:
I bought an Easel K at the end of 2016 and after some weeks I decided I needed a 218 keyboard instead. I guess I was too stupid for the K and that the 223e felt a bit pointless when the Easel was the only Buchla I had.

Some two years later, I still don't regret my trading and I'm totally bitten by the Buchla bug so I have a lot more Buchla modules now. No e-modules though (if you don't count the BEMI Easel).

If you plan on the Easel being your only Buchla, I would go for a version with the 218 keyboard instead.

Yes, the 218 keyboard seems very versatile.
I'm wondering if folks who buy Easels are, on the whole, buying them as their only Buchla? To me it doesn't make much sense to buy an Easel and expand it much, you may as well just go for a larger system to start with. I'm tempted to buy an 18 Boat, but the thought of just how much I could spend populating it in the future is very scary indeed.
I already have a large Euro system, and just the Easel would give me that Buchla flavour I'm missing, but I'm wondering about interfacing it with my Euro?
reverberation
CVGT1 is the first thing you should purchase then!
I did the same. When I got the Easel K, I had a huge eurorack. It's been shrinking a lot due to my Buchla boats getting bigger.

And here's my huge ever growing pulsating buchla that rules from the centre of the Södermalm.
InnnerSight
mousegarden wrote:
reverberation wrote:

Yes, the 218 keyboard seems very versatile.
I'm wondering if folks who buy Easels are, on the whole, buying them as their only Buchla? To me it doesn't make much sense to buy an Easel and expand it much, you may as well just go for a larger system to start with. I'm tempted to buy an 18 Boat, but the thought of just how much I could spend populating it in the future is very scary indeed.
I already have a large Euro system, and just the Easel would give me that Buchla flavour I'm missing, but I'm wondering about interfacing it with my Euro?

I brought the Easel with the idea of being my only Buchla, I have toyed with the idea of buying more, but I just find other ways of working with it that stop the gas. Currently using it with a looper has provided me with some wonderful results. The card options available also help to expand what the easel can do, I'm just waiting on the CardOC at the moment which will give me some additional modulation options to go crazy with smile
mdoudoroff
I once asked Todd Barton this same question, and he expressed that the Easel is distinctive because you can “turn on a dime”, and that the keyboard fits well with that spontaneous versatility better than the 223.
mousegarden
mdoudoroff wrote:
I once asked Todd Barton this same question, and he expressed that the Easel is distinctive because you can “turn on a dime”, and that the keyboard fits well with that spontaneous versatility better than the 223.

Yes, I could be in danger of missing the whole point of me wanting a Buchla, so that I don't have to think about expansion or interfacing it with anything else. It comes in a handy suitcase for Christ sakes, it has to be mainly, Euro for studio, Buchla and a couple of pedals for gigs.
mutierend
I bought the Easel K last summer and I similarly agonized over the decision. I went with the 223e for several reasons:

- I wanted an instrument that eschewed the traditional "black and white" keyboard paradigm
- I wanted the complete flexibility of an input device that doesn't intrinsically feel like it's designed for specifically playing notes
- I like its unique arpeggiator
- I already have a bunch of synthesizers with keybeds and either MIDI or CV out
- I have a large eurorack and the CVGT1 was an easy addition
- It looks really cool
- I wanted to learn something new and challenging
- I want to eventually add a small expansion for an additional voice

When the Easel K arrived, I turned it on and I couldn't get any notes to play. The 218 would have been way more immediate, of course. I watched Todd Barton's excellent 223e course and I took off from there.

I've always been the type to do something a little different. I had a Sega Master System when everyone else had a Nintendo NES. I had an Amiga when everyone else had a PC. And so on. I just like the challenge.
cyberdine
I got the easel K, and ended up swapping out the 223e for a 218e. I still have the 223e in a bigger system.

The 223e is fantastic, but I think it's overkill in an Easel. It's immensely flexible but you just don't need all the different options available to drive the 208e. The 218e is also super flexible, has arpeggiation, and you don't have to play tonal music. It just works really well in the Easel.
mousegarden
mutierend wrote:
I bought the Easel K last summer and I similarly agonized over the decision. I went with the 223e for several reasons:

- I wanted an instrument that eschewed the traditional "black and white" keyboard paradigm
- I wanted the complete flexibility of an input device that doesn't intrinsically feel like it's designed for specifically playing notes
- I like its unique arpeggiator
- I already have a bunch of synthesizers with keybeds and either MIDI or CV out
- I have a large eurorack and the CVGT1 was an easy addition
- It looks really cool
- I wanted to learn something new and challenging
- I want to eventually add a small expansion for an additional voice

When the Easel K arrived, I turned it on and I couldn't get any notes to play. The 218 would have been way more immediate, of course. I watched Todd Barton's excellent 223e course and I took off from there.

I've always been the type to do something a little different. I had a Sega Master System when everyone else had a Nintendo NES. I had an Amiga when everyone else had a PC. And so on. I just like the challenge.

I'm agreeing with you on everything here, well, that's what my original plan was.
I'm going to need the CVGT module, but where am I going to put it? If I get a small boat the temptation to ad to it is going to be overwhelming.

PS! Sorry folks d'oh! CVGT1, didn't realise it was Euro!

Also, if I did get the 223e could I then ad the traditional keyboard as a stand-alone?
Also, is it possible to achieve the same type of expressivity with the 223e as the normal keyboard acheives in this amazing video...

mutierend
I should add that I have lots of stuff that is CV controlled and I wanted the 223e to control them as well. The 223e was cheaper to get in the Easel K than buying it separately. This was before the price increase last summer.
mousegarden
OK I'm getting the standard keyboard, just watched the Tod Barton video on the 223e......not for me!
I'm going to order it from KMR here in the UK tomorrow, I just want it thoroughly checked over before delivery, as we all know about potential problems!

Dead Banana
misa
My friend Joker Nies has a body contact controller that is modelled after the 223e. There is a video on facebook that should be available to you even if you are not actually on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/joker.nies/videos/10210439407558327/

very interesting and he does some wild stuff with it. it's also a bit tickly on the fingertips -- there is some electrical current going through you and I can feel it when I play it. Actually quite nice;)
mutierend
mousegarden wrote:
OK I'm getting the standard keyboard, just watched the Tod Barton video on the 223e......not for me!
I'm going to order it from KMR here in the UK tomorrow, I just want it thoroughly checked over before delivery, as we all know about potential problems!

Dead Banana

That's a good choice. The "default" 218 is a great controller for the Easel. I'm thinking about getting a LEM218 to add my setup.

To give you an idea of how I use the 223e, I'm working on an interpretation of György Ligeti's "Musica Ricercata". I'm working on Movement II, which contains only three pitches: E#, F#, and G. I programmed the 223e CV values to be able to basically "jump" the octaves and give me an easy way to strike the G during the accelerando. I found that I could approximate the una corda octaves using pressure. I'll post a video when it's done as my explanation is not giving it justice.

Either way, you can add the other controller, a LEM218 if you get the Easel K or a 223e if you get the Easel. smile
wsy
I got the "K" because:

1) I liked the look of it
2) You can have four scales programmed in it *simultaneously* (five, if you count the arpeggiator, which is completely independent)
3) It's got the equivalent of four bend-wheels as well as the notes.
4) It was what was in stock at the time. :-)

I actually have the arpeggiator and scale 1 being chromatic 12-tone, scale 2 is also chromatic but with position instead of pressure,
scale 3 is pentatonic, and scale 4 is for frakking around.

So, the multiple simultaneous scales is actually useful. I can switch from using one scale to another just by moving ONE cable.

- Bill
mutierend
wsy wrote:
I actually have the arpeggiator and scale 1 being chromatic 12-tone, scale 2 is also chromatic but with position instead of pressure,
scale 3 is pentatonic, and scale 4 is for frakking around.

Same here. Todd's "hack" of using the different radios for different tunings is essential. I have one radio programmed for the Locrian mode.
mousegarden

Oh man Oh man.....it's 1975, I'm laying in the grass at my girlfriends house, looking up at a deep blue sky, I can hear 666 by Aphrodite's Child playing on a distant stereo, I'm reading a blue book called "Electronic Music"...

In this book......a picture of a Buchla synthesizer, it came out of a spaceship, I never, ever thought I would own one, oh man oh man....oh man oh man....!

Dead Banana
erstlaub
I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the Buchla having seen your fairly rigorous thoughts about the build quality of the Minimoog recently.

I've personally never even been in the same room as one but have definitely read other folks mixed responses to how the modern BEMI stuff feels.

Had I 6 grand to spare I would probably be dipping the toe in too though, I love listening to lots of easel based music.
J3RK
This says everything to me:

w00t

(of course the system it's interfaced with is larger, but I think it could still be very useful in a compact context) Maybe add that new Easel Expander thingie too This is fun!
Fuzz
Good jam hihi

mousegarden wrote:

Oh man Oh man.....it's 1975, I'm laying in the grass at my girlfriends house, looking up at a deep blue sky, I can hear 666 by Aphrodite's Child playing on a distant stereo, I'm reading a blue book called "Electronic Music"...

In this book......a picture of a Buchla synthesizer, it came out of a spaceship, I never, ever thought I would own one, oh man oh man....oh man oh man....!

Dead Banana
ritchiedrums
I Love that 111108 Video too!!!

But IMO.... it supports the fact that it is overkill for 1 208.... Guinness ftw!
mousegarden
OK, the situation is this, I've been offered the Standard Easel with the iprogram bundle for the same price as a standard Easel, should I go for this?
I probably won't use the program card much, I don't want to get into that side of things, as I like the simplicity and realtime feel of the Easel as it is, and not being able to store things doesn't bother me.

hmmm.....
mousegarden
J3RK wrote:
This says everything to me:

w00t

(of course the system it's interfaced with is larger, but I think it could still be very useful in a compact context) Maybe add that new Easel Expander thingie too This is fun!

ON NO!!!!!!!!!!!

SHIT!

I need that keyboard!

If I get a standard Easel I'll have to get a boat to house the Kinesthetic Input Module?

hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2