MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FH1 MIDI time sync with Ableton
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author FH1 MIDI time sync with Ableton
VintageTravler
Hello all,

I was wondering if it is possible for the FH-1 Fader Host to: a) act as the master clock to Ableton based on an incoming clock signal from the synth? and b) when needed, let Ableton be the master clock for the FH-1 Fader Host?

My goal is simply this:
1) There are times when I’m recording a number of channels of audio into Ableton from my synth. As I change the clock on the synth, I’d like the MIDI time to reflect a change in Ableton so it follows the time change. That way, I can record an accurate replay with the clock change.

2) Once I do that, I’d like to be able have Ableton play back what was recorded so that I can have it replay the set as it was previously back into the synth for other processing.

Is this something the FH-1 fader host can do?

Thanks,
Brett
VintageTravler
Hey All,

I was thinking a bit more about this tonight... and something occurred to me... if I used Max4Live to sync the MIDI clock (in either direction) it could directly read (or write) the Ableton BPM... so maybe that would be one way to handle it... I guess the only other thing where this may be an issue is... can I have more than one MIDI device talk to the FH1 fader host??? (My assumption is yes, especially if I use ports on the IConnect2 (or move up to an IConnect4) I should be able to do this...

Does that sound reasonable to folks?

Thanks,
Brett
os
VintageTravler wrote:
I was wondering if it is possible for the FH-1 Fader Host to: a) act as the master clock to Ableton based on an incoming clock signal from the synth? and b) when needed, let Ableton be the master clock for the FH-1 Fader Host?

Yes to both.
VintageTravler
os wrote:
Yes to both.

Here is what I've tried to setup:
1) Ableton has the IConnectMIDI2+ set to sync, sending Song, at 0ms delay
2) FH-1 is set to receive MIDI (D2 = 0)
3) MIDI Clock Divisor is 12 (D1 = 12)

What I don't see (not sure how to get) now is a clock output from the FH-1.
I had made an assumption it would be on X or Y... but that does not seem to be the case... Do I just enable the PPM mode then to get a clock pulse out?
os
To get a clock you set up a tempo-synced square LFO on one of the outputs.

This is detailed in a number of posts on this forum.
VintageTravler
seriously, i just don't get it

Overall, i've read through a number of posts, but I still don't have an example where i've been albe to make this work.

What I would like to do is:
1) Take the clock from my sequencer
2) put that pulse into the FH1 Fader host
3) Have that clock rate be set to my MIDI out (via my iConnect4 device)
4) Have Ableton follow the MIDI clock signal

I had this only "somewhat" working... I keep tgetting really odd results from the MIDI clock into Ablton where it would do crazy fast BPM that made no senes and then it would just simply lose sync.

Does anyone have a good step by step here is what you need you to do?

Thanks,
Brett
os
Live's MIDI sync is famously "not that great".

I would suggest recording the MIDI going into the computer e.g. with Snoize's MIDI Monitor and check what the FH-1 is actually sending.

Also make sure you're not sending the MIDI clock back to the FH-1.
boramx
Hi----

This is a somewhat unrelated question - but its hard for me to parse all of the FH1 threads to find this info - searching FH1 and MIDI didn't get me there.
So-

Why is the iConnect Midi2 required here?

Is it possible to, for example-

to send polyphonic midi clips from Ableton to the FH1?

Can I not simply use a USB A to USB A cable, which I already have, to accomplish this?

I'm mildly interested in clock sync too, but more so simply playing back midi files i've recorded would suffice.
os
Quote:
Why is the iConnect Midi2 required here?

Because the FH-1 is a USB host, and so is the computer. You can't connect a host to a host.

Quote:
Is it possible to, for example-

to send polyphonic midi clips from Ableton to the FH1?

Yes.
boramx
ok- so what would be the scheme with an intermediary device? ideally the best method would avoid converting a din cable.
os
An iConnectivity box (e.g. mio2) or this: http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/midi-usbusb-p-4.html
boramx
Hey-
just recalled i have one of these laying about.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Uno--m-audio-uno?gclid=CjwKCAj w4sLVBRAlEiwASblR-3NWsTxN-ndzwdp4nmAGpkqYFQnnkXPNQUTfQrZ7cYRnxMie6Fspe hoCsZIQAvD_BwE

Perhaps i'll get a iConectivity box - but in the meantime, i can send midi from ableton using this and a plain 'ol inteface with din i/o?
os
You can try it. In my experience those DIN/USB connectors can be variable in their performance.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1