MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NLC nonlinearcircuits 2018 modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author NLC nonlinearcircuits 2018 modules
andrewF
Got a few more in the pipeline.

1st up is a re-visit to the Timbre, now its a dual version in 8HP. this one is all smd.

Timbre&Timbre

n0rd
NLC Timbre and Timbre (T&T) demo:
https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-timbre-timbre-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/380498546" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Pinging the T&T
Sine --> T&T IN1
Tri --> T&T IN2
Env --> T&T CV1 and CV2 + manual tweaking of Timbre and CV pots.

0:45 T&T stages in series
Tri --> T&T IN1
T&T OUT1 --> T&T IN2
T&T OUT2 --> Out
Env1 --> T&T CV1
Env2 --> T&T CV2
Manual increase of CV1 and CV2 depth (pots).

1:30 Stereo drone
Tri1 --> T&T IN1 --> Out Left
Tri2 (detuned) --> T&T In2 --> Out Right
Hyperchaos X --> T&T CV1
Hyperchaos Y --> T&T CV2

2:45 Post filter folding
Tri + Saw --> Env1/VCA --> Env2/Serious Filter --> T&T with manual tweaking
(Sequenced by SQ-1. Compressed by Streams).

3:43 T&T on drums
Doof --> Out
Doof2 --> T&T IN1 --> Out
Bongo --> T&T IN2 --> Out
baDumTiss --> Out
(Drums compressed with Streams).

4:43 Audio rate T&T modulation
Tri1 --> T&T IN1 --> Out Left
Tri2 (detuned) --> T&T In2 --> Out Right
Env1 + Tri3 Mix --> T&T CV1
Env2 + Tri3 Mix --> T&T CV2
(Plus manual tweaking. Sequenced by SQ1).

thumbs up

Steve
Eric the Red
I can’t wait to see what 2018 brings. As soon as I finish building all my 5U stuff (hopefully this year), I’m going on anNLC Shopping spree.
gde
Looks great! Is their any normalisation in the module?
andrewF
gde wrote:
Looks great! Is their any normalisation in the module?

In1 and Cv1 are norm'd to In2 and Cv2, so you can get two different timbre sounds from 1 input = in parallel.

It is pretty fun to patch Out1 into In2 and have them in series as well, it was a tough choice which way to norm it
maaaks
Just seen there's a post about 2 different resonator modules on your website. Any more details or sound examples?

It's peanut butter jelly time!
andrewF
maaaks wrote:
Just seen there's a post about 2 different resonator modules on your website. Any more details or sound examples?

It's peanut butter jelly time!

Here's one!

n0rd
NLC Resonate demo:
https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-resonate-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/408409719" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Manual sweet spots
Saw + Square --> Resonate (First dry then wet).
Manual tweaking of all "F" pots + Q.
Then, LFO to CV1 (all).

0:54 Lamb chops
Sheep (Bi + Sub) with Row LFO modulation --> Resonate (First dry then wet).
Env to CV1 (all) adjusting CV1 pot (depth).
Manual tweaking of "F" pots + Q.

1:57 CEM-onate
CEM3340 Saw + Pan Pulse --> Resonate (First dry then wet).
(CEM3340 PWM & Pan PWM modulated by LFOs)
Env1 --> Resonate CV1
Env2 --> Resonate CV2
Env3 --> Resonate CV3
Env4 --> Resonate CV4

2:43 Ping it!
Resonate with high Q
Hyperchaos Deluxe GATE Y --> Resonate IN
Hyperchaos Deluxe GATE -W --> Resonate CV1
Hyperchaos Deluxe GATE -Y --> Resonate CV2
Hyperchaos Deluxe GATE Z --> Resonate CV3
Hyperchaos Deluxe GATE W --> Resonate CV4
Then toggle Hyperchaos Deluxe RATE

3:39 Sample flavour
Sample --> Resonate IN
LFO1 --> Resonate CV1
LFO2 --> Resonate CV2
LFO3 --> Resonate CV3
LFO4 --> Resonate CV4

4:55 Tweaked Beats
Drums --> NLC Env Follower.
Env Follower Pre Amp --> Resonate.
Env Follower Env --> Resonate CV1 (All).

5:28 U.F. Resonate
String machine --> Resonate (First dry then wet).
Quadrature LFO --> Resoante CVs.
(Delay and rerverb added)

Guinness ftw!

Steve
andrewF
Crikey, nice work - -thanks Steve! we're not worthy
andrewF
Let's Splosh

This is 8 different rectifiers processing 4 input signals. It is happy to work with audio or CV or both at the same time. It has 16 outputs that will deliver 16 different signals made up of components of the 4 incoming signals. To put it simply, it makes a gloopy mess of the incoming signals and smears it all over your patch. If this module name and the food names make no sense look up some sploshing videos on youtube. That is pretty much what this module will do to your CV and audio signals with corresponding amounts of pleasure for the receiver.

PCB USD20
Panel USD24
assembled USD180

Build guide and panel template

plushterry
Sorry if this has been asked before, bit how are you doing your panels? They look badass.

Ps keep up the good work! I'm a big fan of your designs
andrewF
They are 2 mm PCB with ENIG gold lettering
To make them I get into the gerbers and transfer data between the trace file and the soldermask file, then fudge around a few numbers to give some space around the letters.
plushterry
Thanks. They look really good
OlivierWah
Yeah !

Jarno
One would want that Splosh if only for the lights, trippy!
arbee
I've ordered both Timbre&Timbre and the Let's Splosh rectifier. cannot wait to try them.

how many hp is that Splosh module, Andrew btw ?
Leverkusen
Let's Splosh! and the Hypster seem to be 12 HP, right?

I am contemplating if I should build the Hypster or Hyperchaos deluxe and can not really figure out the differences in practise (apart from the two gate outs). I would use it mainly as chaotic CV sources in the not so-fast-range and would be grateful for any advises...
andrewF
Yes both 12HP

I think the Hyper-Deluxe and Hypster are very different and you should build both, I have them sitting side-by-side in my synth.

The Hypster has better control over its parameters, the Hyper-Deluxe generally does what it wants tho the gate input can be used to control rate, CV input controls 'climax' (=zero crossing) but the results are not always obvious.

For lower rates they are quite similar, for upper rates the Hypster gets well into the audio range and can be used as an audio source, not 1V/oct.

I have noticed at various setting the Hypster settles into complex but periodic orbits and will stay locked in them unless the controls are tweaked or CV forces changes. The Hyper-Deluxe never repeats itself.
uuav
The Splosh 1 video is wild.
teambanzai
Hola!

Figured I would post on the most recent one of these threads. Just got done building DelayNoMore and it just doesn't seem to work. The only thing it does is the Wet/Dry knob is acting like a volume attenuator...and that's it. Nothing else seems to function. No LED for CV, no change in audio when other pots are turned. When its Dry, its silence, When its Wet, it is just the signal being passed through.

I have:
-Checked solder points
-checked that power is running where it should be with a multimeter
-reseated IC chips

Nothing seems to change. Is it the PT2399's that could be the issue? Any pointers?
Leverkusen
andrewF wrote:
Yes both 12HP

I think the Hyper-Deluxe and Hypster are very different and you should build both, I have them sitting side-by-side in my synth.

The Hypster has better control over its parameters, the Hyper-Deluxe generally does what it wants tho the gate input can be used to control rate, CV input controls 'climax' (=zero crossing) but the results are not always obvious.

For lower rates they are quite similar, for upper rates the Hypster gets well into the audio range and can be used as an audio source, not 1V/oct.

I have noticed at various setting the Hypster settles into complex but periodic orbits and will stay locked in them unless the controls are tweaked or CV forces changes. The Hyper-Deluxe never repeats itself.

I had to contemplate about this a bit and thought maybe the Hypster and a Triple Sloth might be a nice combination together with Let's Splosh to get a variety of connected and unconnected chaotic CV but still have a bit of control over it.

The Hyperchaos looks great too though - how bursty are the gate outs on it? And what do the Sgn(x) and Sgn(y) output.
andrewF
Leverkusen wrote:

The Hyperchaos looks great too though - how bursty are the gate outs on it? And what do the Sgn(x) and Sgn(y) output.

It depends what speed it is running at and the settings, they are pretty varied tho and are very tight with the behaviour of Sgn x and y.
Sgn x & y are CV outs but are a bit more violent than the other outputs, with some sharp changes. These changes occur with the gates so you can get some nicely sync'd signals to play with.
andrewF
teambanzai wrote:
Hola!

Figured I would post on the most recent one of these threads. Just got done building DelayNoMore and it just doesn't seem to work. The only thing it does is the Wet/Dry knob is acting like a volume attenuator...and that's it. Nothing else seems to function. No LED for CV, no change in audio when other pots are turned. When its Dry, its silence, When its Wet, it is just the signal being passed through.

I have:
-Checked solder points
-checked that power is running where it should be with a multimeter
-reseated IC chips

Nothing seems to change. Is it the PT2399's that could be the issue? Any pointers?

Probably check the PTs last, they are generally very robust.
Assuming the PT2399s are okay and are getting 5V from the 78L05, it sounds like the ausio signal is not getting to them or the audio signal is not getting from the delay chips to the wet/dry pot.
Check these paths and that you have all components properly soldered down and installed correctly
teambanzai
andrewF wrote:

Probably check the PTs last, they are generally very robust.
Assuming the PT2399s are okay and are getting 5V from the 78L05, it sounds like the ausio signal is not getting to them or the audio signal is not getting from the delay chips to the wet/dry pot.
Check these paths and that you have all components properly soldered down and installed correctly

Thank you for the quick reply!

PT2399s are getting the 5v's from the 78L05. I have:
-rechecked all the solder points and connections (even reflowed the SMD parts with my heat gun to triple check).
-Tested point to point with my multimeter and they all seem connected.
-Put a CV in and tested that the correct change in voltage was happening. Vactrol gets the signal, LED gets nothing still and have triple checked the points.

Getting only dry signal when the Mix is turned fully clockwise, No change in audio signal, no LED activity when CV is put in. I noticed that the voltage significantly drops around the Feedback A Cap and Resistors, almost down to nothing...is this the correct behavior?

Really stumped as to what could be the cause at this point without desoldering everything and starting over from scratch. I have triple checked that the connections for just the MIX knob have no accidental bridges or weirdness, and it looks clean. So strange how it seems the pure signal is being sent through the chips, but not directly like the schematic shows.
andrewF
if you could take some hi-rez clear pics of your build and send them to me, I will have a squiz.
Either to my email or put them in a zip and pm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4