MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

3rd Party 200e Preset Manager - Who's Up For It???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  

Would you purchase a $700 third-party modernized 200e Preset Manager / Mixer module?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
Possibly
39%
 39%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 28

Author 3rd Party 200e Preset Manager - Who's Up For It???
numan7
in the So, is BEMI still a mess? thread, mirf59 wrote:

I've been kinda peeved watching the price swings. A 200e module list price is as volatile as natural gas on the open market.

The prices seem to be associated strictly with the popularity of the modules. The more essential and popular a module is, the more the ask price has gone up since BEMI came in.

For example, the 207e used to be listed for something like $799 and the 206e for $699. Then, it seems someone went through and reviewed the popularity of the modules, and the ask price for a 206e went through the roof. This occurred even as the ask price of a 225e remained stable, so it had nothing to do with the price of manufacturing the preset manager.

The same thing happened with 257e and 256e. The ask price for a 257e used to be in the neighborhood of $1499, and the 256e was maybe $1099. Now that price differential has been flipped in a grotesque manner, despite threads here that argue that 257e is superior technically, more recent tech, better tech.

So, there is a high degree of arbitrariness to the module prices and the price changes. It looks like "charge those suckers what they are willing to pay."

This is a shady business practice in my opinion, and makes it very difficult to plan finances to acquire a system.

OK. Rant over.

thumbs up yep - i know what you mean, mirf59... the price-gouging on the 206e is particularly infuriating! angry

anyways, i have a Studio H Dual Programmable Oscillator sitting here waiting for me to build a nice little buchla-reference system around it. i would so love if there were a less expensive (and yet more modern in terms of things like generic high capacity sd-flash cards and usb) option for preset managment.

perhaps it's time for someone to make one.

cheers
APETECHNOLOGY
it has always bothered me that the preset manager is not located on the 223.
it is infuriating that you have to buy 2 modules to get a user interface.
it would be nice if they had a cheaper version of the preset manager in a "h" option.
i am probably just going to wait for the sound machines Arches to come out.
it is going to have a banana break out panel for it.

nanners banana break out nanners

http://www.sound-machines.it/product/arches/
ArguZ
Well, when i got the 206e and used it PM i instantly fell in love with the whole idea.
Now that i have a 225e as well i must say that the 206e has no reason to exist.
The beauty is not the preset managing, its the internal midi and worth every penny.
I am truly puzzled no one introduced a similar system in Eurorack.

So i have to views on the whole save and load topic.

1. If you are in the market for an e-system, buy the 225e and build your system around that. Do not hope for anything new from BEMI's side. But look at it as you look at a blender or a guitar..this it it. Do something with it smile

2. We totally should think about a proper preset matrix.
Something that allows each module to have a number of local memory storages and a manager that has the same.
So we can load module 1 preset 5, module 2 preset 69, module 15 preset 4 .. and so on.
Then i would totally be on board.
And it also should sport a proper big OLED screen, midi and USB support and be controlled remotely by a VST.
jsheaucsb
I've been using the 225m Firmware card USB-Midi solution and it works insanely well.

I would be so up for a solution that involved Preset storage over USB. The current preset storage over card solution is just way too cumbersome and I think the tech exists to save presets to your Mac desktop or laptop.

Module or not. An improved Preset management system would be a dream!
mirf59

If you've got MIDI channels and MIDI input into the 200e, why have a hardware-based preset manager at all? It can be software residing on your workstation, sending all the necessary information to the 200e over the MIDI channels directly to the modules. You would lose the CV'able advance of the preset, CV'able random recall. But you could accomplish the randomness in the software, and the CV advance is not enough to justify so many $s for hardware-based, real-estate consuming preset manager, on-board.

mritenburg
mirf59 wrote:

If you've got MIDI channels and MIDI input into the 200e, why have a hardware-based preset manager at all? It can be software residing on your workstation, sending all the necessary information to the 200e over the MIDI channels directly to the modules. You would lose the CV'able advance of the preset, CV'able random recall. But you could accomplish the randomness in the software, and the CV advance is not enough to justify so many $s for hardware-based, real-estate consuming preset manager, on-board.

Most 200e module parameters cannot be set through MIDI.
tIB
Fwiw my only real gripe with the way the 225r handles things is the clock reset/jitter/skip when you change presets with an external midi clock running. Annoying.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1