MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Mixer for Mackie CR1604
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author New Mixer for Mackie CR1604
Rost + Licht
Its about time, my old noisy Mackie CR has to go..
Besides the noisy faders and buttons there is also an ever present electricity hum which not just annoys me but also kills recordings.

Currently I'm looking for a Allen & Heath MixWizard WZ3 16:2 because I heard it gives more 'presence' and headroom compared to the old Mackie. A mixer with more channels would also do or should I get a patchbay anyways?
What about the new Mackie https://www.thomann.de/de/mackie_1642_vlz4.htm?

+I'm looking to record Individual outs into the DAW for Synths and Effects.

+ I'm generally looking for a clean transparent signal that I can boost with other Rack Units or in the DAW
Kent
The faders can be re-lubricated and, if you replace the filter capacitors in the power supply, it should be rather free from hum. Would cost under 15 bucks to do it all + labor.
Rost + Licht
Kent wrote:
The faders can be re-lubricated and, if you replace the filter capacitors in the power supply, it should be rather free from hum. Would cost under 15 bucks to do it all + labor.

Hey thanks, you're probably right about the costs!
I'm looking to get more clearity in general, I don't like the smear of the Mackie anymore. Even though its nice to crank it up on 101 Basses a Mix with more headroom is the aim.

I've just found this one... wow.. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYp3rEL2s5w[/video]

The FX and EQs sound amazing!

Anyone has experience with the USB recording feature?
Carrousel
I use an Allen & Heath Mixwizard WZ3 16:2 myself.

Its the only mixer I have ever used in my studio (previously i just used to run instruments directly into my sound card) but I would say it has a very transparent and clean sound to it.

I use it in the way you describe; taking direct outs from each channel into my sound card and mixing in my DAW.

So im not really using it as a 'mixer' at all really. More just a bunch of 16 channel strips. If I had more sophisticated routing set up, I could probably record all direct outs as described, then bounce the individual track recordings back onto the board, for OTB mixing, recording a final stereo track back in from the mixer's master channel.

This is what I intended to do all along but I just never got around to setting up the advanced routing; would also be more effort to be plugging and unplugging cables in a patchbay all the time. Happy just using it as channel strips and mixing ITB really.

Anyway, would recommend!
DiscoDevil
Raven_Martin wrote:

Its the only mixer I have ever used in my studio (previously i just used to run instruments directly into my sound card) but I would say it has a very transparent and clean sound to it.

I use it in the way you describe; taking direct outs from each channel into my sound card and mixing in my DAW.

So im not really using it as a 'mixer' at all really. More just a bunch of 16 channel strips. If I had more sophisticated routing set up, I could probably record all direct outs as described, then bounce the individual track recordings back onto the board, for OTB mixing, recording a final stereo track back in from the mixer's master channel.

This is what I intended to do all along but I just never got around to setting up the advanced routing; would also be more effort to be plugging and unplugging cables in a patchbay all the time. Happy just using it as channel strips and mixing ITB really.

Anyway, would recommend!

This functionality is built in to the Zed R16. Might be worth taking a look at if that is your goal.
Carrousel
DiscoDevil wrote:
Raven_Martin wrote:

Anyway, would recommend!

This functionality is built in to the Zed R16. Might be worth taking a look at if that is your goal.

Absolutely, I know about the Zed R16, and if money was no object I would definitely be using it.

But I picked up my Mixwizard for the bargain price of 400quid and a Behringer patchbay on top of that was maybe another 25..... so i'm slumming it with that and a pair of MOTU 828ii's for now!
DiscoDevil
Raven_Martin wrote:
Absolutely, I know about the Zed R16, and if money was no object I would definitely be using it.

But I picked up my Mixwizard for the bargain price of 400quid and a Behringer patchbay on top of that was maybe another 25..... so i'm slumming it with that and a pair of MOTU 828ii's for now!

I have had 2. The first one I got on eBay for $600. They come up cheap sometimes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1