MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sonic Potions LXR vs. Machinedrum
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Sonic Potions LXR vs. Machinedrum
sansnom
Anyone out there have or have owned both?

The soon the come Malekko Mr. D looks the most modular friendly but I'm considering the previously mentioned 2 as well

Thoughts? How do they compare?
Mr. Sound Boy King
sansnom wrote:
Anyone out there have or have owned both?

The soon the come Malekko Mr. D looks the most modular friendly but I'm considering the previously mentioned 2 as well

Thoughts? How do they compare?

I use both of these drum machines. They compare in this way:

Eurorack compatibility: LXR
Sampling: MD (with UW)
Probability: LXR
Sound synthesis: MD
Ease of use: MD
Pattern generation: LXR
Smoother: MD
Rougher: LXR (love the DRIVE functions)

What other considerations are there? I am happy to continue to rate any consideration in favor of one or the other machine.
dan_p
I'm constantly surprised at how good the LXR sounds, it's really punchy.

The trigger outs and clock ins make it very modular friendly. Feeding it an irregular or modulated clock signal is great for wonky beats! The clocking is also very flexible as you can select the beat division. It has a really nice sequencer with loads of features, poss the best xox sequencer I've used.
Panason
I had an LXR and now have a MD....The comparison is only valid in that they're both digital drum machines with parameter step automation ... Otherwise, the MD is a Lamborghini and the LXR is a Fiat... razz

The LXR has unforgivable bugs (including MIDI issues), is abandoned by its developer and is a PITA to program as there is way too much stuff crammed into that cheap UI. If you want a digital drum machine, save up for an MD... not because it has more (it has tons more) but because it works as it's supposed to.
windspirit
I would actually say its about what you want. I had the lxr first, bought the machinedrum with the intention of replacing it, ended up selling the MD and keeping the LXR. While the sequencer on the MD was SOOOOO muvh easier to use and more capable and the on board effects were really nice for getting things gritty I never liked that the machine selection would kind of lock you into a specific kind of drum that you are emulating and then you get to tweak some (sometimes extremely subtle) sound parameters for the drum. On the LXR, not only are you never tied to making your drum on the "bd" slot sound lile a typical bass drum but with the sound morphing between presets you can get completely absurd sounds and save them as new kits even. On the machinedrum the live tweakability just felt like it never even got close to that level of control. I really wish that the LXR had a normal pattern chaining mode and that it had measures instead of sub-steps (or that I had the time to implement these myself) and as mentioned the Midi implementation makes no sense but other than that it is an amazing drum machine.
SPIKE the Percussionist
Had both.
Sold the MD.

The LXR is so much more violent with certain noiz parameters tweeked.
Also...it never loses sync over long periods of time.
Longest I left it synced and playing (by accident) was about 11 hours.

MD would drift after 10 or 15 mins.

And yes...as others have stated...all of the LXR analog features like triggering and clock are awesome.
acidbob
Sounds strange, I had the MD run for several days without ever loosing sync. Most stable clock I have in the studio (When it's master)
I really like the sound of the LXR hmmmmm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1