MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

anyone here use the midi timepiece AV
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author anyone here use the midi timepiece AV
Nelson Baboon
I had to call it to action recently because I needed more midi ports. I was going crazy tonight trying to figure out why my octatrack was multiplying the tempo of my daw by 2.

As it turns out all of the outputs to which midi clock is sent are going to the port that the octratrack is one. So, i had the daw sending clock to another port (the device was off, and could be disconnected entirely), and it was also going to the octatrack port.

So, it seems pretty simple - i want the midi timepiece to route midi clock correctly from my daw - just to the port that I'm sending it to. but I opened up this clockworks program, and I couldn't for the life of me see what to do to simply establish a 1 to 1 routing of clock to port.

Can anyone explain how to set this up?
xparis001
let me start by saying it's been a while since I've used one, so my thoughts are gonna be vague. If i recall correctly, the MTP AV automatically redistributes received clock to any channel that has "REALTIME: Y" set in their inputs. I believe likewise, you can turn off realtime to selected ports from the source channel's outputs. when I used mine, I think after some trial and error, I decided to just let it route clock to any channel that needed it on it's own rather than picking and choosing, as turning off realtime has other implications, like it also prohibits active sensing, and maybe MMC as well? again, sorry if this is a little vague, I havent used one for a few years.
EMwhite
Yes, I have and use that unit. Also SuitandTieGuy is a user (or was).

I use it for just that, routing and filtering of clock. The thing I love about it is that you can push the new map to it then disconnect from the computer; now DAW or app required.

The thing I don't like about it is that it is so old that I can only run it from an aged version of my OS and to be honest, I'm stuck now with an old UAD, some Sonic virtual synth with ASIO Wine running on an early 2008 Mac Pro with the Saffire Mixcontrol SW and the MTP but cannot do things like play music through bluetooth reliably or play recent iTunes purchases.

So it's a choice, and I'm sticking with a frozen in time capability. You can futz around with all sorts of plug ins and other software or try to get a solid state device which is modern to do it all, or just get this and use it. Just keep in mind the caveats. And yes, it's a realtime message.

It's awfully satisfying to see a number of dark channels (no flickering LEDs) and comfort in knowing you are not bombarding vintage Midi devices with messages that don't belong there.
soundshaper
As xparis001 said, clock is distributed to all ports unless filtered in Clockworks. In your DAW you should only send clock to one of its MIDI ports, otherwise you will get clock doubling or tripling and so on.

In Clockworks the main page allows you to route inputs directly to outputs like a MIDI patchbay and also connects them to the computer so leave those. The Mutings page is where you can mute/filter specific types of MIDI data. Just select Real-time from the list and mute it on the outputs you don’t want clock sent to.
Nelson Baboon
soundshaper wrote:
As xparis001 said, clock is distributed to all ports unless filtered in Clockworks. In your DAW you should only send clock to one of its MIDI ports, otherwise you will get clock doubling or tripling and so on.

In Clockworks the main page allows you to route inputs directly to outputs like a MIDI patchbay and also connects them to the computer so leave those. The Mutings page is where you can mute/filter specific types of MIDI data. Just select Real-time from the list and mute it on the outputs you don’t want clock sent to.

ok. will try this later. in retrospect it seems obvious, and I used to know this, but it so obviously conflicts with the logic of the daw, where I choose which devices to receive midi clock, that I guess I just got confused.
criticalmonkey
just cause you said you had to pull it out - check the battery - i had to replace 2 over the holidays - i have 2 in use for all my old midi stuff - usb version
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1