MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Chirper!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Chirper!
BugBrand
Gearing up, I thought I'd start a new thread (old mentions here)

I did an overview video::

Reposting the block diagram::
tIB
Sounds fucking beefy! I really should get my knees wet with red stuff at some point...
chrisdermo
we're not worthy
Those full system sounds at the end.... Dead Banana
a100user
Yep that works for me, nice demo Tom.
batchas
Awesome SlayerBadger!
numan7
MY ASS IS BLEEDING awesome demo vid, Tom - i so want a Chirper (and DDSR)!!

cheers
indexofmetals
really wide range of sounds in there tom, plus the full system section at the end. a joystick / touchplate module would work great with it.
T. Jervell
Niiice!! applause
chrisdermo
The suspense! Dead Banana
otoskope
Very nice video (and audio)! Great little machine on its own, and still able to be part of a larger system.

I love the fact that youtube followed it up (on autoplay) with another demo of yours, from 2011 smile
chrisdermo
Ordered It's peanut butter jelly time!
a100user
Ordered too smile
a100user
BTW Tom,

Any idea when the 11FW Frames for the reds will be available again?

Cheers

David
chrisdermo
a100user wrote:
BTW Tom,

Cheers

David

Says February in the mailout. I'm waiting for those to get my chirper together with one Mr. Green
chrisdermo
Looks like they sold out already w00t
a100user
chrisdermo wrote:
a100user wrote:
BTW Tom,

Cheers

David

Says February in the mailout. I'm waiting for those to get my chirper together with one Mr. Green

Thanks
BugBrand
Yeah, I'll be getting on to them once I've done my quarterly accounts - so reckon by mid Feb.

Glad I finally got the Chirper out! There may still be a few available once the dust settles.

After the mailout I realised that I only mentioned the mod-points on the instruction sheet - so hope people read that! There are points for further CV ins and an audio in to the filter (though you'd really need a preamp)

Maybe sometime I'll describe how I farted around designing a whole expander (3FW with touch points, audio in, sample & hold, etc) before deciding I didn't like it..
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:

After the mailout I realised that I only mentioned the mod-points on the instruction sheet - so hope people read that! There are points for further CV ins and an audio in to the filter (though you'd really need a preamp)

Cool!!

BugBrand wrote:

Maybe sometime I'll describe how I farted around designing a whole expander (3FW with touch points, audio in, sample & hold, etc) before deciding I didn't like it..

Hehe. I really hope touchplates get implemented into something in the future. I would be curious to hear why you didn't like the implementation on the chirper. I see Meng Qi was playing his with bare banana plugs and skin contact so there's always that for the curious.
chrisdermo
Oh btw Tom I think the link to the instructions PDF on the site is broken, when I click the link I get:

ERROR 404

The BugBrand website has been changed, so please head back to the main homepage!
www.bugbrand.co.uk
BugBrand
Ah, cheers Chris - the online software is quite hard for me to work with! Managed to leave off an http: so changed that now.

Direct link to them::: http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/docs/ChirperInstructs_Jan18.pdf
chrisdermo
That's a nice load of mod points thumbs up
Reality Checkpoint
waah

The Chirper has sold out.

I am now officially a: sad banana
BugBrand
I have a couple more to go online, but can't do anything until my computer is back in action!
BananaPlug
If you are in US near Philadelphia you can see a Chirper and twirl it around a bit on January 28. It's peanut butter jelly time!
It's one of the prototypes and I'm bringing it to a meet & greet, headphones only, gathering at a music store. More details in the appropriate Gatherings thread here.
BugBrand
Last few from the 1st batch are now online: www.bugbrand.co.uk/shop
chrisdermo
nanners
chrisdermo
Hey Tom,

Those mod points, are the inputs for filter and osc modulations like a secondary V/Oct input like on the synthvoice oscillators and CoF expander?

Also the mod knobs on the chirper aren't attenuverters right? So full counter clockwise is no modulation and full clockwise is full modulation (will work for V/Oct?)
phisynth
Ok, let's go for the stupid question : Do I need a chirper ? What's the benefit of it compared to using, say, 2 UTILITY OSC and a SV FILTER on my "old blue" ?

I guess it's probably the self-contained approach, and the newer circuits and all but are theses sounding much different from the older modules ?

Tom, will there be another batch in the future ?
a100user
phisynth wrote:
Ok, let's go for the stupid question : Do I need a chirper ? What's the benefit of it compared to using, say, 2 UTILITY OSC and a SV FILTER on my "old blue" ?

I guess it's probably the self-contained approach, and the newer circuits and all but are theses sounding much different from the older modules ?

Tom, will there be another batch in the future ?

I had the same conversation with myself Phil, and decided that I can easily replicate similar with Blue’s but then realised I don’t care and picked one up anyway.

I am enjoying the self contained noise box approach and have yet used any external modules to enhance it.

It definitely has Tom’s sound.
BananaPlug
phisynth wrote:
Ok, let's go for the stupid question :

I tried that and my experiments were interesting but not as good. For one thing the ergonomics of the Chirper are way better than anything I could round up with separate modules.
BugBrand
Ergonomics is the large part I think, yes + that the oscs cover full range just on the single dial - I made a conscious decision not to add switches to the design.

Chris,
Yes, the exponential converter summing points for Osc1/2 and filter can all have extra inputs added - though unlike COFilter you need to add the summing resistors (perhaps kind of stingey by me..)
The filter audio in is similar, but obviously into a different summing node.

Correct, CV attenuators are simple, not attenuverting.
chrisdermo
Have seen a few clips go up on instagram & youtube since these were released into the wild,

Chirper solo by a scanner darkly:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeYz3WGA0rU/?hl=en

Chirper + passive FSR box by a scanner darkly:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeooXbzgh3k/?hl=en

Chirper + dual Benjolin by dirty_bill:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Belv_edF2dB/?hl=en

Sweet spots by duplan:

Sweet spots 2 by duplan:

Chirper + Synthvoice by FSound1011:

Can't wait to receive mine Mr. Green
chrisdermo
Here's a couple from me - chirper + bug friends + double knot and nana'd sq-1

https://instagram.com/p/BfB9lrThp9i/
https://instagram.com/p/BfCCniuhaQ2/
lud
Nice demos chrisdermo and I love your banana SQ-1! Was it a hard conversion?
chrisdermo
lud wrote:
Nice demos chrisdermo and I love your banana SQ-1! Was it a hard conversion?

Not hard, the minijack holes fit bananas perfectly, but bloody fiddly to screw the nuts in behind the panel as there's very little space - had to use tweezers! I used the 'littlebits' jack for my ground jack. Only issue Ive got is that the sync in minijack was normalled to ground to detect that a cable was there, I need to install switch somewhere to perform that function but for now I have to use the sq1 as my master clock if I'm using more than one sequencer.
lud
Thanks for the explanation, great work (and determination!)
chrisdermo
Just wanted to say the chirper is totally kick ass, and anyone on the fence about it due to doubling functionality with existing oscillators and svfilters - it is quite a different beast, I guess due to its hardwired cross modulation it forces me into a way of playing and utilising that I would never normally do with my oscillators and filters. Also to my ears has a slightly different timbre to the synthvoice probably down to the lpf/hpf crossfade.
chrisdermo
Used the chirper to try out an acid techno approach

https://instagram.com/p/BfJ1IVjh7Bu/

Chirper is the only synth sound source, osc2 is syncd from a trigger pulse from the beatstep pro, and in turn syncs 2 oscillators on the synthvoice which route back for filter modulation and osc1 modulation on top of the hardwired options.
Osc1 is routed through one of the CoF+X channels and the wavefolder vca, and also through a synthvoice svfilter and the saturation vca.
Osc2 also acts as clock for the meng qi voltage memory which produces a 4 note bassline on the 3rd osc of the synthvoice- this feeds the sync input of chirper osc1 about 2/3 through the clip.
Chirper main output feeds ptdelay.

I forgot I inverted one of the svfilters so avoid listening in mono!!
Fun!
chrisdermo
DIY'd an expander panel - filter in, filter cv, osc1+2 cv, osc 1+2 tri and sqr outputs. Didn't do the hp/bp/lp outs for the filter as I already have that on the cof and dual filter modules.
fredguy
Chirper arrived, much fun ensued. Quick recording of chirper and drm1 sequenced with a seq1. Effects via spring tanker and ottobit jr.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/fredguy-1/chirping-drm[/s]
BananaPlug
Thanks for sharing. Chirper is my favorite tool for live playing. It can be like wandering through a forest. You might encounter a bog, crickets, moaning yetis...
nanners
chrisdermo
So the bordweevil2012 and chirper play very nice together. The oscillator outs from the chirper work perfect into the filter touchpads on the weevil, they do kind of work with the osc input touchpads but not as smoothly. All the weevil touchpads work with the inputs on the chirper wonderfully! I'm glad I made that little expander diy panel as I can populate it with bare banana studs and have a mini touchfield. Some very very rough phone mic recordings below give you the basic idea. Weevil osc1 is acting as a clock for drums and sync input to chirper modulation oscillator. Fun!

https://instagram.com/p/BgbO1lSje9Q/
https://instagram.com/p/BgbQGGQD7xP/
https://instagram.com/p/BgbSZrbj6lS/
https://instagram.com/p/BgbT5OfjEgJ/

(Robert if you'd like to see/hear these let me know and I'll sort something out)
batchas
chrisdermo wrote:
(Robert if you'd like to see/hear these let me know and I'll sort something out)

we're not worthy

6AM: everybody in the area is sleeping and instagram works fine!

Chriper + Weevil = electronic madness power.

I was kind of worried the green bananas you are touching are outputs that you are shorting. Is it so?
chrisdermo
Yeah the greens are sine and square outs for osc 1&2..... everything seems to be quite happy touching everything else though eek!
BananaPlug
I scaled down my portable system AGAIN. So now it's these voices: Chirper, piezo+metal percussion, DoubleKnot rhythmic stuff, filtered noise. Very minimal routing/mixing but nice effects. Chirper's the center of this galaxy and the other voices are distinct from it.

The euro chunk is jam packed but I have a little wiggle room there. Today I'm experimenting with a A-196 PLL messing with oscillator to oscillator syncing in the Chirper (Osc2 out -> PLL -> Osc1 sync in). It's a little different that way.

nanners Chirp!
Be Sandy?
BananaPlug

Great to see you're still doing your interesting hybrid systems.

Is that a Boss micro rack box under the chirper?
BananaPlug
Yes, it’s an RSD10. I’m using it as a slowish delay (goes up to about 2 sec) but it has other tricks. Chirper out goes first to the Teil1 which is an incredibly versatile thing and has performance friendly buttons and things. That frees the RSD10 for layering up some feedback. The early eighties sound it has works well when you change the delay time and smoosh everything. Ideal for thickening Chirper drones or making big clouds from intermittent sounds.
lud
They sold out quickly!
weinglas
lud wrote:
They sold out quickly!

Yes, i was too slow sad banana
BugBrand
Yes, they went with bewildering speed.

I would imagine that there'll be another batch within 2 months.
phisynth
was there a new batch available ? How many ?
Reality Checkpoint
10, all of which went within 30 - 40 minutes!
weinglas
phisynth wrote:
was there a new batch available ? How many ?

Yes, there was a new batch. But not enough chirpers. By far hihi

Edit: Too late! Again Dead Banana
indexofmetals
i think they were gone before I woke up
PLNB
Chirper is nanners Didn't realize it could be a hypnotic beat monster. Stable n chunky.. Call the exterminator, I finally got bugs..
DickMarker
Great, playable little module - considering it's just two VCOs and a filter the range of sound is fantastic. I was getting some S&H style variations in pitch and tone the other day from certain cross modulations.
PLNB
Now it's time to study up voltages across Chirper, DoubleKnot, Grackler, Benjolin, and Ciat gears to see what mangles what the best.. Trampoline
BananaPlug
Speaking of hypnotic beat monster...
Hears a snippet from noodling around today. All sounds from Chirper with delay effects. Live except I captured other Chirper sounds earlier in a looper. Normalized the level and added fade in/out in post.
I guess my point is that there's always new sounds to find on this thing.

ChangingGears nanners
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:
Speaking of hypnotic beat monster...
Hears a snippet from noodling around today. All sounds from Chirper with delay effects. Live except I captured other Chirper sounds earlier in a looper. Normalized the level and added fade in/out in post.
I guess my point is that there's always new sounds to find on this thing.

ChangingGears nanners

Awesome recording!
chrisdermo
There's one gone up on eBay today with a £70 mark up on the brand new price (NOT MINE!)
Dead Banana never seen that happen with Bugs before.
BananaPlug
Quote:
on eBay today with a £70 mark up...

Just waiting for somebody to offer a VCS3 for it. hihi
lud
chrisdermo wrote:
There's one gone up on eBay today with a £70 mark up on the brand new price (NOT MINE!)
Dead Banana never seen that happen with Bugs before.

Probably to cover the ebay fees
Reality Checkpoint
My first BugBrand! BugBrand! BugBrand!

Chirper and friends!

chrisdermo
BugBrand! The Chewbacca Defense BugBrand!

Excellent rack! Congratulations w00t
Reality Checkpoint
chrisdermo wrote:
BugBrand! The Chewbacca Defense BugBrand!

Excellent rack! Congratulations w00t

Why thank you!

With a little bit of luck I should get my first sounds out this weekend after a complete re-shuffle of the studio (well, corner of the spare bedroom really!) New mixer, new monitors, and quality cabling!
Be Sandy?
Reality Checkpoint

Nice setup. That should keep you entertained for a long time.
Reality Checkpoint
Be Sandy? wrote:
Reality Checkpoint

Nice setup. That should keep you entertained for a long time.

Thank you Sandy, I do hope so!
rpc
I was lucky to get a Chirper in the last batch. I'm really enjoying it and it's really easy to dial in some great sounds. Takes me back to the days playing around on an EMS Synthi ... beating oscillators and wild cross-mod patches.
BananaPlug
I've been practicing short solo sets with the same small Chirper setup I've been using.
Here's an example. Mono and no post processing.
Listen here or this one (about 13 min)

Outcome: That setup is fun for drone & percussion as accompaniment. By itself I kept wanting some kind of clocky thing.
sungja
New batch, go get it !
dandandan
sungja wrote:
New batch, go get it !

Got one! Thanks for the heads up.
bmot
I got in on the recent batch, my chirper arrived today! So far I’ve been getting some awesome sounds from it as a stand alone device, but I need some help setting it up with my sequencer as I’m unfamiliar with banana plugs. I’ve got myself four 4mm banana cables and 1 screw connector in case I need to DIY a cable.

My aim is to sequence chirper with the social Entropy engine with cv expander. Can someone please advise, or post a link to the right cables I would need, and explain which parts of the chirper and Engine would connect to each other? I read about needing to use a ground, and don’t want to risk damaging anything.

I already got it to play the 2015 Weevil, it I don’t have any modular equipment I can use with it.
rowsbywoof
bmot wrote:
I got in on the recent batch, my chirper arrived today! So far I’ve been getting some awesome sounds from it as a stand alone device, but I need some help setting it up with my sequencer as I’m unfamiliar with banana plugs. I’ve got myself four 4mm banana cables and 1 screw connector in case I need to DIY a cable.

My aim is to sequence chirper with the social Entropy engine with cv expander. Can someone please advise, or post a link to the right cables I would need, and explain which parts of the chirper and Engine would connect to each other? I read about needing to use a ground, and don’t want to risk damaging anything.

I already got it to play the 2015 Weevil, it I don’t have any modular equipment I can use with it.

You'll need to make a Y wire with a standard 1/8th connector on one end, and two banana cables on the other. Basically, this will be your grounding connection to set a common ground between the Chirper and Engine.

Here's a good video showing how to make various cables from the guy at Future Retro. You want to make the Buchla style cable.

Also, as your setup grows, you should think about investing in a Low-Gain UTL box. They are an interface point that you ground to your Bug systems, and then can patch through freely.

http://lowgain-audio.com/

You can find them at many online synth shops, or on eBay/Reverb for about $89.
bmot
Excellent, thank you. Time to get the iron out...
BugBrand
Yes, Rowsbywoof got it - though a couple of tech terms I'd refer differently to: Minijack (or 3.5mm) not 1/8" (they're not) --- and call it establishing a common 0V between equipment rather than grounding.

I do do Interface Cables but equally easy to DIY. Personally I've always been happy with cables rather than converter boxes/modules, but that's maybe just me.

The key is to establish a common 0V between the external gear (eg. Engine) and the Bug. Do this with the black cable of the twin interface cable - this goes from minijack sleeve and plugs to the black 0V banana on the back of the Bug. Once that 0V link has been established you can do further signal connections just with single cables (from the same piece of equipment).

(Oh yeah, and just re-checked and it is at least mentioned on the instruction sheet!)
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
not 1/8" (they're not)

I've been saying it wrong for so long!
rowsbywoof
BugBrand wrote:
Yes, Rowsbywoof got it - though a couple of tech terms I'd refer differently to: Minijack (or 3.5mm) not 1/8" (they're not) --- and call it establishing a common 0V between equipment rather than grounding.

I do do Interface Cables but equally easy to DIY. Personally I've always been happy with cables rather than converter boxes/modules, but that's maybe just me.

The key is to establish a common 0V between the external gear (eg. Engine) and the Bug. Do this with the black cable of the twin interface cable - this goes from minijack sleeve and plugs to the black 0V banana on the back of the Bug. Once that 0V link has been established you can do further signal connections just with single cables (from the same piece of equipment).

(Oh yeah, and just re-checked and it is at least mentioned on the instruction sheet!)

We Americans love our imperial measurements, even if they're wrong wink Haha, and we're usually wrong.
bmot
BugBrand wrote:

Thanks Tom, yes you did include this info in the instructions but I'm an absolute beginner with banana plugs so I needed a bit more confirmation to be confident. I'm sure 99% of your customers wouldn't need to ask this question, but it's great to have a place like muffs where I can do so without feeling stupid and also getting clear answers from experienced users, even directly from creators like yourself!
BugBrand
bmot wrote:
BugBrand wrote:

Thanks Tom, yes you did include this info in the instructions but I'm an absolute beginner with banana plugs so I needed a bit more confirmation to be confident. I'm sure 99% of your customers wouldn't need to ask this question, but it's great to have a place like muffs where I can do so without feeling stupid and also getting clear answers from experienced users, even directly from creators like yourself!

It is very much a repeating question - seems so complex..
Always happy to answer!
bmot
Made a few cables today with the help of the advice here and happy to say it’s all working perfectly and sounding pretty amazing. Sequencing is working and this instrument is proper roast beefy!

I’ve just discovered the joy of stacking bananas for my first time too.

I tried the screw in bananas first but the contact seemed intermittent, so I went the soldered route instead. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or have other people had problems with the screw in plugs (the screw is supposed to hold down the cable contact to the banana plug)
batchas
bmot wrote:
I tried the screw in bananas first but the contact seemed intermittent, so I went the soldered route instead. Maybe I was doing something wrong, or have other people had problems with the screw in plugs (the screw is supposed to hold down the cable contact to the banana plug)

If intermittent then the wire might be too thin I think.
Could also depend which banana you are using.
In my experience it might happen that a wire get loose, but it's rare.
Pers. I wrap the wire first (even only 1 turn) on the metal barrel.
Actually I do use jacks which don't even have a screw. They hold because there's a hole and a small slot nearby where it's possible to wrap the wire befroe it enters the hole. And then there's as well the form of the plastic around which hold the cable. I mean the cable goes out vertically, the wire is wrapped horizontally on the barrel. So it holds pretty well. And I pull the banana by holding the jack, other way I think it would not hold so well as I describe it.
BugBrand
bmot wrote:
I’ve just discovered the joy of stacking bananas for my first time too.

You have finally arrived! There's no way back now!

Regarding making cables - yeah a lot depends on which plugs you use. I tried a few and only really liked the old Rapid ones as shown in the Oops My Banana sticky thread. As with many things, try a few and find what works for you - but I was always very happy with those particular screw ones.
hank
My 6 year old nephew loved "making space noises" (his words) on my Chirper when I was babysitting last weekend. Kid tested, uncle approved!
lud
So colourful and enticing too! It's a wicked synth, will probably expand mine in a rack but it's so fun standalone
fever606
Chirper and PTDelay make a fantastic combo... I think I left this patch running for three or four days...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BncjnHjF7gH/
/\/\/\/
I like the camera work too. That bassy feedback growl of the PTDelay is one of many "signature sounds" coaxed out of the box. Very nice.
deltaAquarii
nice one fever 606.

i'm new to bugbrand and have a chirper now. its so inspiring and so full of sweetspots, the range its capable of is sick. and the sound is so raw!
i think a little (cycling)envelope/vca/lpg red box would be really cool to accompany.
T. Jervell
Yes the Chirper is just a super versatile and nice instrument/module. I often find myself using one of the osc’s for clocking and modulation duties in big patches. Having the Chirpers osc’s wired internally to both my DDSR, and Quad Divider is really neat. Also I really like the tone of the oscillators, and the huge range from lfo to audio rate being sweapable and not requiring a switch. This and the fact that the interface is very well thought out, makes it a very, very playable instrument. The way I’ve been using it lately turns it into the beating heart of the patch AND it also opens up for quick changes in the patch and works great as a controller of sorts. Also slowly opening the attenuators and letting the two oscillators modulate each other (and the filter) when a patch/Sequence gets a bit tiresome/boring gives instant and WONDERFUL results!!

The only thing I kinda sometimes miss, is an envelope/amp, and the possibility to use the filter to process external audio. But then again I always have some blue ones if I’m in need...

So yeah! A big fan of the Chirper here. I had NO idea that I would be sooo happy with it. I knew it would be fun, but now it’s one of the first modules I reach for when I fire up the system.
BugBrand
T. Jervell wrote:
..The only thing I kinda sometimes miss, is an envelope/amp, ..

I did get a prototype design done, but once building discovered I'd managed to swap the position of two inter-board headers and that brought along lots of tricky gremlins which have not yet been dealt with.
Flexyflier
Just got a chirper,now I am on a Bug trip now.....going to order the synth voice...
T. Jervell
BugBrand wrote:
T. Jervell wrote:
..The only thing I kinda sometimes miss, is an envelope/amp, ..

I did get a prototype design done, but once building discovered I'd managed to swap the position of two inter-board headers and that brought along lots of tricky gremlins which have not yet been dealt with.

Well I sure hope you’ll get around to investigate this further thumbs up
If it’s the design/draft I saw a couple of months ago, it looked like a very nice addition indeed...

But looking at your Twitter feed I guess you’ve got other joys on your hands at the moment hihi
BugBrand
T. Jervell wrote:
..But looking at your Twitter feed I guess you’ve got other joys on your hands at the moment :hihi:

Not exactly actually - I wasn't expecting those until late December, so boards aren't ready. But I have something else interesting arriving this week...
T. Jervell
BugBrand wrote:
T. Jervell wrote:
..But looking at your Twitter feed I guess you’ve got other joys on your hands at the moment hihi

Not exactly actually - I wasn't expecting those until late December, so boards aren't ready. But I have something else interesting arriving this week...

Oooohhh!! Intriguing.... looking forward to see what you’ve got in store next It's peanut butter jelly time!
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
I have something else interesting arriving this week...

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
rpc
Looking forward to holiday joy, and upcoming batches ... but talk of new Bug creations always piques my interest, and brightens a grey snowy Monday. cool
dp4
just here for the bugs! Alien
BananaPlug
While we contemplate other "interesting things" for the future, I'm toying with an additional row for my trusty little portable system. Just getting started with it. The idea is to get the DDSR involved but stick to what's simple and playable. There's another complication in the works but we'll save that for another day.

Sound

It's peanut butter jelly time!
batchas
BananaPlug wrote:
There's another complication in the works but we'll save that for another day.

hihi

BananaPlug wrote:
Sound

SlayerBadger!

I love the pictures of your portable system(s) that you're posting.
As well of these sounds!!!

I wish friends would share here more videos or sound snippets made with their BugBrand gear.
tron23
BananaPlug That's a wonderful sound clip! Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
Excellent sounds as always BP! How do you deal with power distribution on these hybrid frames? (if there's already a post somewhere apologies)

batchas wrote:

I wish friends would share here more videos or sound snippets made with their BugBrand gear.

Sorry, once I have moved house, and got the Bugbrand Compilations pressed and sent out, I am hoping to have the time to set up my new space to leave a camera constantly set up and make more vids. I'm really behind with everything right now, it's really trying my patience sad banana
I'm still playing phisynth's last video all the time!
DickMarker
batchas wrote:

I should have a record (tape/DL) out soon with a collaborator of mine who does spoken word which features mostly Bugbrand originated sounds. Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I'll definitely share it here when it's ready.
BananaPlug
chrisdermo wrote:
Excellent sounds as always BP! How do you deal with power distribution on these hybrid frames? (if there's already a post somewhere apologies)

That row with euro on the left and Chirper on the right has a 4hp Row30 PSU mounted on one end of the frame. The chirper just has a frac style (MTA156) plug hanging out. I have a Blacet PSU for that or if there's more frac stuff on the table I just plug into a 15V distro where I can find one.

All of my frames (even the euro) have a banana jack connected to ground. I use nice thick Ponoma cables to bring them all to one point. Often that's a LowGain format converter box.

Separate PSUs like the Blacet one I mentioned either get a banana jack mounted on them or I use a cable adapter of some kind.
Flexyflier
rowsbywoof wrote:
bmot wrote:

I had a Phenol,that was my banana plug experience,but going to order some cables from Tom
I also have a maknoise jumbler and one from Tony at Synovatron......Euro to banana.
http://synovatron.blogspot.com

You'll need to make a Y wire with a standard 1/8th connector on one end, and two banana cables on the other. Basically, this will be your grounding connection to set a common ground between the Chirper and Engine.

Here's a good video showing how to make various cables from the guy at Future Retro. You want to make the Buchla style cable.

Also, as your setup grows, you should think about investing in a Low-Gain UTL box. They are an interface point that you ground to your Bug systems, and then can patch through freely.

http://lowgain-audio.com/

You can find them at many online synth shops, or on eBay/Reverb for about $89.
bmot
A quick improv featuring the Chirper and a few other things. I put the output through the Lyra 8 audio input - quick question, when putting the audio output through the Lyra, the Chirper doesn’t require grounding to the Lyra does it? It’s grounded to the SE Engine already.

BugBrand
bmot wrote:
- quick question, when putting the audio output through the Lyra, the Chirper doesn’t require grounding to the Lyra does it? It’s grounded to the SE Engine already.

Are you taking the 1/4" out from the Chirper? If so you're fine.
(Briefy listen/watch to the vid = sounds good!)
deltaAquarii
if someone in CANADA is looking for a Chirper, i let mine go! pm me!

e: its gone.
T. Jervell
Well I guess it’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of the Chirper. Today I planned to use only the Chirper and the Radio Music together, but I ended up adding alot of other modules as well. BUT the Chirper was still the master clock and modulator of the patch. No sounds from the Chirper, but the direct out is modulating the filter of the DRM2, and osc 2 is providing clock to both DDSR and the Dual Clock module. The two Chirper Osc are crossmodulating each other making a sort of wonky rhythm at times. Made a quick and dirty video (as usual phone audio and not really a track or composition, just me fooling around, but again I was excited hihi
When I have time I’ll try to set up proper video and audio + and have some more interesting sounds, but for now I’ll just post my: «I love messing with my BugBrand modular, and I have to post a video sharing my excitement»-video cool

chrisdermo
Nice jams! Good rhythmic stuff coming out of that set up SlayerBadger!
shred
bmot and T. Jervell - very nice!! applause
batchas
T. Jervell wrote:
«I love messing with my BugBrand modular, and I have to post a video sharing my excitement»-video cool

T. Jervell
Yes it is quite the system!!! I’m very happy with it!
So happy that when the kids had visitors, I couldn’t help but too turn the system back on and make another patch, with the Chirper (again) as main player. In this patch the Chirpers voice is also heard, as well as modulation and clock duties. I even turn some knobs in this one.... progress cool
A bit more noisy and gritty this time....
This is just so much fun w00t nanners
phisynth
very nice vids we're not worthy
BananaPlug
Cuckold clock! I love the metallic timbres in these two vids.
And it goes without saying...
we're not worthy Chirper!
sungja
Cool noises! Love the spring tanker. Why Tom stopped making them is a mystery.
BananaPlug
Speaking of metallic textures (no tanker I'm afraid) here's a little ditty I call Chirps And Scrapes.
LISTEN

Rockin' Banana!
T. Jervell
Nice nanners
BananaPlug
I've been playing around with rhythmic stuff. Here's a fun experiment in which two Chirpers are making sub-audio rate plinks and each OSC1 is synced by a tap tempo LFO. Related LFOs and dividers are used for modulation.

Yes, I just tapped it once to set tempo and let the wonkyness of the patterns hide the creepage. Very rough, I just wanted to get something down to listen later. hihi

LISTEN (apologies to Gary Clail)

nanners
batchas
BananaPlug wrote:
Chirps And Scrapes.
LISTEN

Awesome SlayerBadger!
Sounds so good here in the dark.
batchas
T. Jervell wrote:
This is just so much fun w00t nanners

Fun indeed!!!!
T. Jervell
Sooo, I started playing around with my system a couple of days ago. The patch started out with the Chirper, DDSR, DD and the BBV as «main» players. As per usual real life intervened and I had to leave the patch. When I returned today I deceided to work a little more on it, and tweak it a little more. This is something I don’t normaly do, as I most often prefer to start from scratch everytime I sit down with the modular. The result is now something quite far away from where I started. As a result of this experience I’m gonna try to keep things patches up, still, and return to the patch you hear/see in the video below in a few days. If it’s still interesting I guess I’ll post the next evolution cool
lud
Lovely patch and sounds!
T. Jervell
lud wrote:
Lovely patch and sounds!

Thanks thumbs up yes the bug-sound is just wonderful!
Still have this patched up, crossing my fingers I’ll have time to work on it some more soon w00t
BananaPlug
I've been experimenting with ways to add more rhythm to my small twin Chirper system. Today's experiment is a short 7fu row of SEQ1, ENV1 and SVF.

LISTEN nanners
The left Chirper is some quiet poppy echoed sounds. The Chirper on the right is that drone. Up in the corner is a Sine and a DD1 (ring & LPG). The sequencer CV and gates manage the SVF which goes to the ring mod and LPG. You here it pretty predominately. Snappy, clicky AND a low note. After 47 seconds all you hear is that SVF derived sound. I think I can work with this!
T. Jervell
BananaPlug wrote:
I've been experimenting with ways to add more rhythm to my small twin Chirper system. Today's experiment is a short 7fu row of SEQ1, ENV1 and SVF.

LISTEN nanners
The left Chirper is some quiet poppy echoed sounds. The Chirper on the right is that drone. Up in the corner is a Sine and a DD1 (ring & LPG). The sequencer CV and gates manage the SVF which goes to the ring mod and LPG. You here it pretty predominately. Snappy, clicky AND a low note. After 47 seconds all you hear is that SVF derived sound. I think I can work with this!

Nice work! nanners
T. Jervell
Had a little bit of time today, so here’s a new video of the same patch. But this time I added the DRM1X and the DRM2. The sound if the kids playing was not a part of the patch originally, but somehow they managed to sneak in..... hihi

BananaPlug
^ Nice! I still need to try that earlier idea you showed about Chirper driving the DDSR.

Meanwhile, here's a slightly augmented Chirper.

LISTEN Shrill sounds from 1:35 to 2:00, watch your level.

This is one Chirper with DD1, SYN2B, PRC1, VERB
Chirper out and the sine get ring modded and fed to the DD1's LPG which gets triggered by a cap from Chirper's OSC1.

You get the idea. A little retuning takes it into other realms. Lots of fun interactions and surprising finds.
T. Jervell
BananaPlug wrote:
^ Nice! I still need to try that earlier idea you showed about Chirper driving the DDSR.

Meanwhile, here's a slightly augmented Chirper.

LISTEN Shrill sounds from 1:35 to 2:00, watch your level.

This is one Chirper with DD1, SYN2B, PRC1, VERB
Chirper out and the sine get ring modded and fed to the DD1's LPG which gets triggered by a cap from Chirper's OSC1.

You get the idea. A little retuning takes it into other realms. Lots of fun interactions and surprising finds.

Wow!! Sounds great love
T. Jervell
Hah! This was fun! Got a Landscape HC-TT the other day. Tried it with some of my bugs today. So much fun!!
Chirper to HC-TT input, HC-TT output to COFilter. The tape is an audiobook. HC-TT is outputing CV and gate signals based both on what’s on the tape and what’s coming into the input (Chirper). The CV was initially sent to the DDSR data in (and the recycled), and the Gate out to the clock in on the DDSR.

BananaPlug
I always wondered about those hand cranked cassette devices. Show us more when you get a chance.
Quote:
HC-TT is outputing CV and gate signals based both on what’s on the tape and what’s coming into the input (Chirper).

What's the CV/Gate stuff? Is there an envelope follower or something? Is it just amplified tape audio?
shred
nice!! is that the newer version? i didn't realize it sent out cv/gate signals
T. Jervell
Shred: yes it is the new one.
BananaPlug: I guess the CV out is a sort of envelope follower. But I guess not the most «precice» + seems to be a pretty steep decay. Gates are provided when the audio reaches a given threshold (I guess), which fires a gate/square signal. The two outputs seems to be related, so as far as I know when the gate is activated the follower is also «triggered». It is possible to do some rudimentary tweaks to the response via the «tone» control.
Anyway, tons of fun, and it is very nice to use it as a sort of sequencer/controller thumbs up
BananaPlug
Just a quick Saturday morning live improvisation. Mostly Chirper.
LISTEN
Watch your levels, the feedback got away from me. eek!
T. Jervell
As usual, very very nice BananaPlug!! nanners
batchas
T. Jervell wrote:
As usual, very very nice BananaPlug!! nanners

+1

Always a pleasure to listen to your impros.
T. Jervell
Been messing with a passive ringmod I’d forgotten I had. Found it a couple of days ago. Quite fun to take the direct outs from the two Chirper osc’s through the ringmod then to the LPG->Spring Tanker. Also osc 1 into osc2’s sync. Then two channels of the DDSR into X and Y axis on the Joy/Touch, outs to osc 1 and 2. Also the main out of the Chirper is run through dual VCA-> COF. Manual gates from Joy/T drives DDSR, LPF and envelopes. Also pressure out from the joystick is modulating the COF.
A lot of fun to be had, but it’s hard to hold the camera and operate the Joystick......
BananaPlug
I like that you clock the DDSR manually. Somehow I never thought of that!
otoskope
Very nice!
T. Jervell
Thanks! Yeah manually clocking the DDSR is nice! I often do this with my other sequencers as well. Gives a nice «human» touch...haha

Also ring mods, I’m currently very much into investigating the world of ring modulators. I’m hoping we’ll see a blue one in the not too distant future, but anyone here got any favorites?
PLNB
Can someone point me to a good method to VCA/gate the output of the chirper to where I can play notes/CV from the OP-Z (with op lab module) with silence on key release? I need to break up the output to play a more traditional patch in addition to letting it groan, chirp, squeal. Thx!
BugBrand
Yeah, I started designing a complimentary Env-Amp to go with it, but booped the proto-board design and it has been stuck in the doldrums ever since.. I must rekindle because, yes, Chirpers would often benefit from gating.

My LPG module equally would be a nice simple solution (apart from casing..)
/\/\/\/
To get audio into the filter, would the Dual Preamp module with a single wired connection (+ resistor) from Preamp's output banana terminal be the way to go? That would be very nice to have, alongside the Env-Amp.

I really enjoy using the DRM2 in this way... would be cool to have it in Chirper form w/ the x-mod and different filter control.

BTW is the filter design similar between the two (Chirper / DRM2)? Other than how it switches between HP/LP.
DickMarker
PLNB wrote:
Can someone point me to a good method to VCA/gate the output of the chirper to where I can play notes/CV from the OP-Z (with op lab module) with silence on key release? I need to break up the output to play a more traditional patch in addition to letting it groan, chirp, squeal. Thx!

You can use filters as rudimentary VCAs in some circumstances - it might not work ideally in your situation but I've used the Chirper's filter in LP setting with a suitable cv to the filter's ext in to essentially gate the audio passing through. It's a bit of a kludgey method though, not perfect by any means.

Ps Love the idea of a Chirper-specific env/amp Tom.
BugBrand
/\/\/\/ wrote:
To get audio into the filter, would the Dual Preamp module with a single wired connection (+ resistor) from Preamp's output banana terminal be the way to go? That would be very nice to have, alongside the Env-Amp.

I really enjoy using the DRM2 in this way... would be cool to have it in Chirper form w/ the x-mod and different filter control.

BTW is the filter design similar between the two (Chirper / DRM2)? Other than how it switches between HP/LP.

Yes, there's a spot for an input resistor for filter input - it expects a signal +/-5V ie to match the oscillator amplitudes so, yes, the Dual Pre would be ideal for amping external signals up to this.

Yes the filters are all pretty similar on most of my devices to be honest!
fever606
All this talk has me looking at putting together a 1FW Chirper Expander again... potentially dumb question, as I have not had any coffee yet, but what's the difference between:

• FXCV – Filter modulation input.
• O1CV – Osc 1 modulation input.
• O1CV1 (should read O2CV) – Osc 2 modulation input.

And the respective modulation inputs (with attenuators) on the front panel? I'm sure I'm overlooking something blindingly obvious but - again - no coffee...
BananaPlug
Does the block diagram on this thread's first post explain it enough? Granted I haven't tried to locate any of these nodes on the pcb and maybe that's what you're thinking.
fever606
Yeah, I'm just thinking that if the mod inputs on the test points are the same as the ones on the front panel (minus the attenuators, obviously) then that would save me the headache / heart attack of more SMD soldering... lol
chrisdermo
Yeah they are unattenuated V/Oct inputs

On the expander I built I left those out and just took the raw oscillator outs and made a filter audio input.
fever606
Thanks, Chris! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure... This is fun!
BugBrand
Yes, they're extra v/oct inputs to the summing nodes.
I don't know why I didn't just put the resistors on as standard - it would have added about 5p.. Now you have to do the soldering yourself of them - sorry!
fever606
SMD soldering is definitely more "heart attack" than headache... I just have to keep telling myself to slow down and it's fine.
deltaAquarii
would be really cool if the env-amp box would have also clock generation with some divisions and a lpg!

i generally like the red idea with "modular building blocks".
BugBrand
deltaAquarii wrote:
would be really cool if the env-amp box would have also clock generation with some divisions and a lpg!

The design has some nice features, but not clocking/division (kind of imagined DDSR as a nice compliment).
T. Jervell
BugBrand wrote:
The design has some nice features, but not clocking/division (kind of imagined DDSR as a nice compliment).

I agree! I’ve been thinking of a 11FW with DDSR, Chirper and the Env/Amp. That would be lovely. Even been toying with the idea of moding the Chirper for extra ins/outs and place the bananajack on the side-«cheeks» nanners
deltaAquarii
BugBrand wrote:
deltaAquarii wrote:

sounds good!
4 tuned voltages with little pressure points would be amazing too! woah hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 7