MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Beginners question for multi track tape recording
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Beginners question for multi track tape recording
pulse3000
hello

for my current application, I would/must go for 8 track reel2reel recording way.
I compose electronic music.

theoretically i know that a tape machine can be a master clock and everything in studio will follow that. (I know also connections, pulses all regarding clocks etc.)

I would like to know ;
Lets say you recorded drums to one channel.
Later, when you play the recorded material back, can tape clock start all the other stuff perfectly in time ?

Say, I want to record a bass line from a sequencer to channel 2 of the tape. will it be recorded in perfect timing relative to recorded material ?

thanks for some words
Phil999
first you record a sync track. Then you sync all your devices or software to that sync track.

There are several types of sync tracks. It depends on the method how you translate the sync track to other devices, what sync device you have. I read that Roland has a recently released device for this task, so you don't have to search for old Korg KMS-30 or SMPTE devices.
Ranxerox
pulse3000 wrote:
hello

for my current application, I would/must go for 8 track reel2reel recording way.
I compose electronic music.

theoretically i know that a tape machine can be a master clock and everything in studio will follow that. (I know also connections, pulses all regarding clocks etc.)

I would like to know ;
Lets say you recorded drums to one channel.
Later, when you play the recorded material back, can tape clock start all the other stuff perfectly in time ?

Say, I want to record a bass line from a sequencer to channel 2 of the tape. will it be recorded in perfect timing relative to recorded material ?

thanks for some words

I think you should read up on tape machines and timecode synchronisation. Search for the keywords 'SMPTE Sync' and 'MIDI Time Code'.
Phil999
often it is only MIDI clock.
milkshake
SMPTE was used to sync tape to other stuff.

But you don't need SMPTE, you can use any clock signal.
Giorgio Moroder used to record the master clock of his modular synth and that would sync the tape to the modular.

So you record the SMPTE/clock signal to one track, usually the first or the last. The track next to it should have lots of energy in it so the sync signal doesn't affect the audio to much.
Now rewind the tape to just before the sync signal starts. Press play and your off, your stuff is synced to tape. It's that simple.
pulse3000
milkshake wrote:

Giorgio Moroder used to record the master clock of his modular synth and that would sync the tape to the modular.

So you record the SMPTE/clock signal to one track, usually the first or the last. The track next to it should have lots of energy in it so the sync signal doesn't affect the audio to much.
Now rewind the tape to just before the sync signal starts. Press play and your off, your stuff is synced to tape. It's that simple.

technically all this I know.
but I never heard.

Thats why I was wondering still, if the track which recorded and an external sequencer which runs a synth (not recorded yet) goes really in sync
milkshake
pulse3000 wrote:
milkshake wrote:

but I never heard.

Thats why I was wondering still, if the track which recorded and an external sequencer which runs a synth (not recorded yet) goes really in sync

You'll probably have to experiment with levels. Record hot, but not to hot because of overspill to the next channel. When playing back, clip the clock signal with a micpre and bring it up to modular levels.
pulse3000
milkshake wrote:
pulse3000 wrote:
milkshake wrote:

but I never heard.

You'll probably have to experiment with levels. Record hot, but not to hot because of overspill to the next channel. When playing back, clip the clock signal with a micpre and bring it up to modular levels.

6 track is enough for me. so track 7 I would leave it off and make 8 the clock.
Bath House
Your sync track will likely bleed across channels. With SMPTE/FSK or other "fax machine" sounding sync tones, it's best to leave a safety channel empty between your sync channel and the adjacent channels.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1