MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DJ mixers for studio recording?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DJ mixers for studio recording?
mousegarden
I'm fed up with messing around with small format budget mixers, I've done them all, and they force you to work in a very limited utilitarian type of way, for me they are just signal routers, and all based on virtually the same format.
I've been looking at DJ mixers to replace my studio mixer and there are some interesting options, I especially like the ability to cross-fade between sources, and the effects on some of these mixers are really interesting.
I'm also going to remix some of my old recordings, using them as fodder in a CD deck, merging and crossfading between pieces, while adding new material.
I'm wondering if anyone else here uses a DJ mixer in preference to a traditional studio desk?
Muzone
I had a loan of an Ecler Nuo 4 over the holiday period, it was quite fun and I could see it's use for live shows with an Ableton plus a few synths or as an addition to a normalbit mixer set up.
But if it was mt only mixer having inputs on RCA & no track inserts would make it a pain, let alone working with only 4 stereo inputs.
dubonaire
No, but I have two four channel DJ mixers I use for DJing - a Xone 92 and a Condesa discrete transistor rotary mixer. I also have a Roland MX-1 which is great for FX but has limited analogue inputs.

If I was going down the path you are thinking I might consider the Play Differently Model 1. https://playdifferently.org/model-1/
CF3
DJ mixers are the best for just having fun and performance. Biggest barrier for me is unbalanced RCA jacks.

As mentioned, there's PlayDifferently Model 1, with balanced DB25 o/i. I've really been eyeing one of those. I'd love get a Model 1 then get a Speck X.Sum as a submixer, and use the A/B outs on the X.Sum to route signals in a "2 buss" manner (think crossfader) to the Model 1. Can do this with any mixer that has 2 busses (or a "sub out", even pre-fade sends) and a DJ mixer. I used to run my live set like this. A rack mount line mixer + 1U dj mixer like Rane MP-2.

There's also the D&R ClubMix, which can be had with 1/4" jacks on the input channels. Being in Europe you might be able to find one (VERY rare to see one stateside). The Hi-Level PM-10000 is similar to the Clubmix.

If you're not apposed to RCA to 1/4" adapters, then it gets easier. The only issue with DJ mixers is build quality is pretty horrible until you get up into the pro level units (aka, expensive models).

I also used a Xone 464 for a minute as a live board.
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
No, but I have two four channel DJ mixers I use for DJing - a Xone 92 and a Condesa discrete transistor rotary mixer. I also have a Roland MX-1 which is great for FX but has limited analogue inputs.

If I was going down the path you are thinking I might consider the Play Differently Model 1. https://playdifferently.org/model-1/

That looks very interesting indeed.
tron23
UREI 1620 has a sound and smooth fades can be accomplished with those knobs. Smoother than smooth actually. Really miss mine.
mousegarden
tron23 wrote:
UREI 1620 has a sound and smooth fades can be accomplished with those knobs. Smoother than smooth actually. Really miss mine.

That looks cool, probably sounds great, but it's a basic traditional rotary mixer.
Sandrine
The thing that chokes me up, correct me if I'm wrong, is the apparent misleading USB connectivity info most manufacturers are into.
What good is a 24 channel mixer if it only sends the main mix to a DAW via USB?
I do a lot of recording and use a lot of instruments, mics, guitars etc and really need to multitrack record. I'm still using an old Phonic Helix board (firewire) but this is the 3rd major overhaul and it's not going to survive much longer so I've been trying to find something else.

It's hard to figure out if a mixer had 2, 4, or 24 true outputs even with high bus counts it doesn't mean that the USB is more than two tracks.
So I search through the user manuals until there's a "yes" or "no"
Usually it's no.

There's some high end stuff but who can afford to pop off that kind of dough for jam sessions (unless it's making money)

Is anyone else in this dilemma?
dubonaire
Sandrine wrote:
The thing that chokes me up, correct me if I'm wrong, is the apparent misleading USB connectivity info most manufacturers are into.
What good is a 24 channel mixer if it only sends the main mix to a DAW via USB?
I do a lot of recording and use a lot of instruments, mics, guitars etc and really need to multitrack record. I'm still using an old Phonic Helix board (firewire) but this is the 3rd major overhaul and it's not going to survive much longer so I've been trying to find something else.

It's hard to figure out if a mixer had 2, 4, or 24 true outputs even with high bus counts it doesn't mean that the USB is more than two tracks.
So I search through the user manuals until there's a "yes" or "no"
Usually it's no.

There's some high end stuff but who can afford to pop off that kind of dough for jam sessions (unless it's making money)

Is anyone else in this dilemma?

No. I use the Soundcraft MTK 22 - has 24 channels of USB connectivity, 22 in. Great value.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1