MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

favorite module that isn't on everyone else's racks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author favorite module that isn't on everyone else's racks
jburzy
What are some of your favorite modules that you don't see on everyone else's racks?

I'm just getting started with modular and I find myself buying the same modules that everyone else has, because those are the ones with the most demos and that I am exposed to (I'm talking maths, rings, clouds, STO, pam's, three sisters, batumi, etc). I know that there are thousands and thousands of modules out there that I feel like I may never even know exist! So tell me, what are some amazing modules that I may never have heard of before?
Joe.
If you have a look at the 'post your Eurorack' thread, and start at the beginning, you can see the evolution of Euro including the themes and trends that have happened over the years thumbs up

There's 500 pages, so maybe check every 10th page (add 500 to the last number of the thread link to make the jumps) hihi
cptnal
I've said this elsewhere, but modules don't care what music you make with them. It's all in the gentle art of patching. Put two completely different wigglers in front of the same rack full of popular modules and they'll each produce something unique.

Anyway, you asked a question. oops It doesn't get much love elsewhere (except among people who actually own one), but I for one love my XAOC Samara. It pretends to be just a 4-channel mixer/attenuator, but in reality it's the nerve centre for your entire rack. This is fun!
Dcramer
cptnal wrote:
I've said this elsewhere, but modules don't care what music you make with them. It's all in the gentle art of patching. Put two completely different wigglers in front of the same rack full of popular modules and they'll each produce something unique.This is fun!

we're not worthy we're not worthy

And in a similar way, categories and understanding modules by function (what’s it actually doing to AC/DC voltages?) can help you break out of the latest/greatest mold, freeing up your funds to go farther!

My list:
Wavefolders/shapers like A-137 uFold and more
Switch/hold like A-152
Stepped random seq/recorder like Brainseed

w00t w00t w00t
moremagic
some posters wont shut up about clouds when its really echophon thats the bees knees Miley Cyrus twisted

and i believe there are matrix mixers in every format, but i sure dont see them in every rack
R.U.Nuts
RYO Penta -Great for transposing sequences or arpeggios when mixed with another sequencer.

Doepfer A-185-2 -A precision adder. I don't know what people do without one. Especially since a lot of Euro VCOs don't have octave switches and only one 1V/oct input (unless the expo fm also tracks 1V/oct).

MFB Dual LFO -frequency mod inputs with attenuators and cross FM prepatched. -instant whacky modulation.
InnnerSight
Verbos Random Sampling - it sounds so musical.
lisa
Synthrotek Roboto. I don’t really like effects in my rack but Roboto feels less like an effect and more like a deranged cousin of Mutable Instruments Warps. It’s great for twisting audio signals if you apply tons of modulation.

sduck
I've got a lot of stuff that 98% of you don't have, and then a few things that absolutely none of you have -

Jurgen Haibles Variable Slope filter/phaser -

Jurgen Haible Varislope Filter/Phaser front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

PT Audio Dual Digital Oscillator -

Dual Digital Oscillator front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

Mega Percussion Synthesizer -

Thomas Henry Mega Percussion Synthesizer front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr

Korgasmatron III -

Korgasmatron III front by Stephen Drake, on Flickr
wackelpeter
Scott Stites Mutant Vactrol Filter (okay i only have the BPF stripboarded).

There are far more favourite modules in my cases, but this one seems to be the less recognized of them.
Oodo85
Noob wiggler here I only have a small system but I really love my RPG by Noise Reap. Never see anyone really talk about it.
Dave Peck
The Hordijk Dual Phaser. This thing goes so far beyond what other phaser modules do that it really should be called something else.

Shledge
Patchblocks eurorack. cool
thetwlo
https://steamsynth.com/shop/discontinued-products/segwencer-euro-model -2520/
MindMachine
Gieskes Voice-Rec 2 and Noise Reap ISD. Both Lo Fi samplers. Both different than each other and anything else.
starthief
In the "rare right now because of production" categories: SynthTech E370 and Rabid Elephant Natural Gate.

In the "not a lot of hype or success" categories:

-- Pittsburgh Lifeforms Double Helix. 1/4 as popular as Furthrrr or Hertz Donut and 1/24 as popular as DPO. It's got some quirks, but also some great features and I've come to love mine.

-- Pittsburgh Generator and GenXpander. Older modules, not even designed to track 1V/OCT (but they kinda do over short ranges). Designed for percussion and weird noises, I've been getting some neat basses and sustained FM drones and the like from them.

-- Pulp Logic Patch Multiple. I have two, set up for cable management as a sort of "trunk line" as 1-in/1-out "multiples" that connect my rack to my Mantis and my audio interface. Humble but they're serving an important purpose.
pugix
http://synthtech.com/motm/510/

gonkulator
cptnal wrote:
I've said this elsewhere, but modules don't care what music you make with them. It's all in the gentle art of patching. Put two completely different wigglers in front of the same rack full of popular modules and they'll each produce something unique.

Yes, Every new day convinces me of the truth of this
luketeaford
starthief wrote:
-- Pittsburgh Lifeforms Double Helix.

Would love to see/hear more demos of this. I like the mod bus design a lot.

I don't see a lot of people using NCOM, but it's really well suited to my workflow for deriving subharmonics (the sweeps are much cleaner with this than Maths), clock divisions, quick staircase shapes, and of course its regular functions as a comparator. thumbs up
Parnelli
Probably my Pittsburgh Filter, I use it for almost every patch. I also have a Wasp and a SE SEM which I am liking better as time passes and I learn more about it, but that Pittsburgh filter is just so damned creamy.
Shledge
starthief wrote:

-- Pittsburgh Lifeforms Double Helix. 1/4 as popular as Furthrrr or Hertz Donut and 1/24 as popular as DPO. It's got some quirks, but also some great features and I've come to love mine.

I've been looking at complex VCOs and this seems to be best for me. It has PWM - something most other complex VCOs lack!
Dave Peck
+1 for MOTM 510 WaveWarper! Most distortion modules are either (A) extreme or (B) versatile, but rarely both. This one is both.
tron23
Jurgen Haible Scanner. w00t
bobdylan
Personally I'm absolutely loving my recently acquired Reflex Liveloop. I wanted a Morphagene for a long time but discovered the Liveloop which does a lot of the same stuff (plus a lot more too!) for half the price and they're even made in my home province so I HAD to get one. I don't often see them being brought up but it seriously revolutionized my rack and I don't think I'll need a Morphagene any time soon.
milkshake
The RHD Rungler, it is the replacement of noise in a modular synth.

It goes from sine to noise with a huge range of spectra and everything in between.
It's a 32 step sequencer.
It's a wave table oscillator, well kind of. You can't choose what "wave table" you want, but there are an infinite amount of "wave tables" to choose from.
It's a dual LFO that can cross modulate each other in very interesting way's.
It's a dual oscillator that can cross modulate each other in very interesting way's.
It even has several kinds of oscillator sync not found anywhere in the synth world.
On top of all that, it's very intuitive to use.

An other honourable mention is the RHD mini matrix.

This is the skeleton of the RHD modular synth.
It's a 6 x 4 way active multiple.
It's a 6 input 4 output mixer with 6 inserts for every output.
You can insert all kind of outboard gear in your synth, just like a patchbay but more clever.
Having played with this for a day, one wonders why not every modular synth has an active matrix like this.

I could go on like this about every module Rob has designed, but I'll stop here.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4