MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Grounding a case for dummies, help needed!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Grounding a case for dummies, help needed!
captainhooke
Hi,

I feel i've always had problems with the grounding of my case(s), at sometimes it feels that the hum is worse then others. But as of late, I also have massive unwanted bleed/interaction between modules. For instance when my Pam's is running, the pitch of my VCO is unstable and pitching up and down randomly.

Now I have a case, which seems to have some sort of plug thing to ground the case and the rails, but I'm not sure how to go about this. I can solder, but I need a step by step instruction how to do the soldering.

On my Row Power 40 there are 2 soldering spots, which are named ground. Is it as simple as running a wire from those 2 spots to the rails and to the grounding plug in my case? And should I run another wire somewhere from the outside of my case?

I added some pictures showing my case and my power supply. Hoping someone can help me on the way!! Have searched the web far and wide, but can not find any instructions which can help a absolute noob on the way..

thanks a lot,

MAXTHEDOG
Hi,
You certainly shouldn't have to run a cable from the outside of your case. i assume its wood (it looks like it). That stud on the outside looks like a tripod mount to me but it doesn't seem to be in a sensible place near that case foot.

I'm not familiar at all with your PSU, and using power bricks so can't help with any of that. Has the power brick got two or three pin connector? I suspect its got two a +/- in which case it has no proper earth.

As for a step by step on soldering theres plenty on YT but I don't think you should be needing to do it any way. Or this:
h​​ttp://bit.ly/1l77tF4​​ from Adafruit

You say you've always had some sort of hum issue, has it always been with this particular PSU?

What I'd do before anything else is disconnect all your modules, then connect them back one at a time and then check for hum etc.

Hope some of this helps.
Regards,
MTD.
av500
captainhooke wrote:
Hi,

I feel i've always had problems with the grounding of my case(s), at sometimes it feels that the hum is worse then others. But as of late, I also have massive unwanted bleed/interaction between modules. For instance when my Pam's is running, the pitch of my VCO is unstable and pitching up and down randomly.

in all honesty I would invest in proper bus boards first and get rid of this ribbon cable hell. all your modules share a common 0V line already via the power bus. modules interacting is more likely due to bad power than to missing ground. once you connect the case to outside world hum will come into play, so grounding might help. or a cheap DI box.
Graham Hinton
captainhooke wrote:

On my Row Power 40 there are 2 soldering spots, which are named ground.

Lots of low end power systems incorrectly label 0V as "Ground".

Quote:

Is it as simple as running a wire from those 2 spots to the rails and to the grounding plug in my case? And should I run another wire somewhere from the outside of my case?

No. It is not simple, especially in The Netherlands where domestic rooms do not normally have Earthed outlets.

Establishing a common 0V between unbalanced equipment is one thing. Safety grounding is another. You haven't provided enough information to give accurate advice on either.
LoFi Junglist
That ground post is for tying to an amplifier, turntable, another case etc, so everything is at the same ground potential.

Simply connecting the 0v of your power module to that grounding post wont do anything, unless your planning on connecting it to something else.

(That's some terrible soldering btw, I can't see one concave meniscus, and there's a few solder starved joints)
captainhooke
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I followed Max's advice of disconnecting all modules and connecting them one by one and testing after every one, and this led me to believe that one of my modules is broken en causing the ruckus. Malekko Mix4 was the culprit it seems. It makes all kinds of weird noises when plugged in, and no my system runs smooth with no noise at all. Very happy!

And happy to have learned that 4ms did a bad job on soldering my 40 row power.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1