MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

euro to easel, CVGT1 question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author euro to easel, CVGT1 question
pyjamarama
so I'm currently using CVGT1 to send clocks and cv to my easel from euro and all works fine.

question is, given that's pretty much all I use it for, could I not simply use mini jack to banana cables to achieve the same thing?

I'm not concerned about voltage discrepancy with regards to tuning as I don't typically sync sequencers/oscillator melodies between the two systems. nor do I find myself sending cv from the easel to euro too often.. I really just want to be able to apply the additional modulation I have available in euro to the easel.

all advice much appreciated.
bemerritt
CV should be fine. Buchanan triggers are different I believe tho. I think it’s a 10 volt trigger with a 5 volt gate.

I just finished building my easel tho, so would love to see other answers. I don’t want to have to buy that module to interface with euro either.
misa
I am using a bit of Euro stuff with my 200e and without the CVGT1 it's usually impossible to get the Euro gates to trigger things in the Buchla world. it's a really good problem solver, although I don't really know where to put it for live use...
pyjamarama
oh that's frustrating.. have you tried boosting the gate signal? does it work ok with other cv?
Novateer
pyjamarama wrote:
so I'm currently using CVGT1 to send clocks and cv to my easel from euro and all works fine.

question is, given that's pretty much all I use it for, could I not simply use mini jack to banana cables to achieve the same thing?

I'm not concerned about voltage discrepancy with regards to tuning as I don't typically sync sequencers/oscillator melodies between the two systems. nor do I find myself sending cv from the easel to euro too often.. I really just want to be able to apply the additional modulation I have available in euro to the easel.

all advice much appreciated.

Just tried to get gate and trigger signals from euro to the easel without the cvgt1. So straight from euro into the easel It worked when using the keyboard connection pulse in of the easel with both trigger and gate signals from the eurorack.
Kent
I encourage experimentation in this matter. Some things work, others don't.
I've also resorted to using a CV processor to condition a timing signal from Euro to Buchla land.
pyjamarama
ok good there's hope then to free up some module real estate on the euro side with regards to this. CVGT1 is great but for my needs at least seems like overkill when cables might work just fine.

I'll experiment and post what I find for future reference.
Cobramatic
Euro trigs and gates usually don't work directly into the banana inputs unless you boost the gate first with up to 5v positive offset (depending on the original source gate voltage).
5v triggers DO work when coming in via the card inputs though. You can use those card points to pulse/sync the sequencer, the EG, Pulser, random source generator etc
There are several threads about this and the Pulse voltage differences if you search for them.
ArguZ
https://buchla.com/product/202h-utilities/

One of the most useful h modules today...
misa
The Korg SQ-1 is capable of triggering my 281e Quad Function Generator out of the box.

There is a +12V mod for the later Doepfer Dark Times (just set a jumper) that should either work or (caveat emptor) blow the module).
Precarious
The Buchla H-series utilities eliminate negative voltages, as does Meng Qi Brass Kit, because Buchla modules are not protected against them. I would assume this is the same for the Easel. Please correct me if I am wrong as I have no direct experience with the Easel.

So long as you are in the habit of making sure not to send negative voltages, as CVGT1 warns with a light, you should be fine, although you'll still need to create a common ground between euro and easel. Considering that minis includes ground and banana doesn't that can be tricky. These are some of the reasons CVGT1 is valuable. It warns against negative voltages and creates common grounding.

Alternately, you can use offset to move voltages out of the negative and boosting attenuators to gain euro voltages up to Buchla levels. H-series utilities allow for up to 2x gain as do many attenuating euro modules.

I haven't tried boosting gates to pulses since I can do this with 225h but it sounds possible as a short 10v pulse. Standard for Buchla is 10v trigger then 5v sustain for extended gates.

Hope that helps! I'm new to navigating Buchla world myself so I've just done the leg work looking into all of this. wink
folpon
I keep forgetting to try this, but I suspect sending gate from Euro into the cO_C in my Easel's card slot with a banana-->minijack cable will work.
Drillionaire
Precarious wrote:
The Buchla H-series utilities eliminate negative voltages, as does Meng Qi Brass Kit, because Buchla modules are not protected against them. I would assume this is the same for the Easel.

It's true for the 218(e). The 208 is fine with negative voltages.
Orwell
https://foundsound.com.au/products/6084

These are great. Works like a charm interfacing the easel with a make noise shared.
It's kinda trial and error. Easel controlling euro seems to be fine. The other way around I've run into problems.
Precarious
Drillionaire wrote:
It's true for the 218(e). The 208 is fine with negative voltages.

Wow! Good to know! Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1