MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Deepmind 12 deal at Guitar Center
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Deepmind 12 deal at Guitar Center
slam
I don’t know if this is all Guitar Centers but my Local one here has the Deepmind 12 on sale for $699 until the end of January. Was very hard to resist at that price.
cwhiley
All I know is this. With the growing popularity of analog synthesizers (and all synths really) it's a GREAT time to get just about any. The more they make, the cheaper they get, and that's so awesome.

That is a good price. Enjoy!
nolongerhuman
I actually went in to buy some cables and saw the same.

Played on it for about 15 minutes and ended up going home with one.

.... never in my life did I think I’d buy a behringer ... well... anything.
slam
nolongerhuman wrote:
I actually went in to buy some cables and saw the same.

So what do you think? It was too crowded at GC for me to really check it out so I did not get one yet.
nolongerhuman
It's sitting on my desk in front of me, and I am pretty damn pleased with it.

If you ignore the constant barrage of people who hate Behringer for one reason or another and take it on it's own merits, there isn't much else on offer for anywhere near the same money.

I've had bad and good experiences with Behringer, mostly just their cheapest mixers and DI's that I've had to deal with because of one sound guy or another, but their interfaces and a couple of their compressors have always been solid and utilitarian. So, I don't really have a bias.

The oscillators sound good, there aren't a ton of options for them but what seems to have been it's inspiration (The Juno series) were fairly plain in that context as well, in this case you can stack and detune the oscillators and it's pretty beautiful. Presets almost universally are boring, but that's to be expected. Nice filter, almost reminds me of a cross between the Juno and the Roland JD-800, very cutting rather than subtle, it's not a tone I already have in either synth or modular so that makes me happy. The screen looks kind of goofy and old fashioned but actually does a great job offering information in real time. The keybed is one step down from the Dave Smith (which is a fatar, I believe) keys but two giant steps above other synths under/around $1000. I'd take these keys over the Nord Lead 4 any day. There are nearly endless FX and they sound great, some (like a bitcrushing delay) that are pretty rare in onboard. I find the sliders to be solid, the build is sturdy, I am actually very happy with it.

The main issues I've seen people complain about are not actual problems for me. There is a fan inside. Well, a lot of vintage poly's had that, and with this one, you can simply turn it off. I've had it on for 2 days with the fan off and it's barely warm. The concerns about menu diving are very overblown, there is almost nothing deeper than 1 page, and the screen shows everything clearly. Compared to something like an Elektron, this is insanely easy editing.

It may be blasphemy but I've owned most of the new Dave Smith line, and I prefer this to the Rev 2 by *miles* It's not as beefy as the OB-6, but it's also 1/4 the money and has more sound shaping options.

That's my 2 cents. For my needs, Behringer nailed it.
slam
Thanks for the review. I'm hoping to get myself one by the time the sale ends. Don't think I could get a better deal on my first "real" synth.
numan7
in another forum, on another website, Firechild wrote:
Agree. The only keyboard with useful aftertouch today. The Deepmind 12 keybed is better than the Fatar keybed in the 20 times more expensive Schmidt Synthesizer.
DM12 keybed is also much better than the OB-6 keybed which I believe is Fatar as well.

i agree with Firechild about this.

cheers
mamsk
i also love my DM12, it's earned its heavy rotation spot in my lineup. even ignoring the incredible value, it's a rich, easily-programmable, deeply mod-able pad machine with legitimately good onboard effects...and then you realize you got it for 2x less than anything else in its class and all that old company hate goes out the window...lie back, close your eyes, and think of behringer.
sduck
Guitar Center is something to keep ones eyes on for potential deals these days - their days are numbered, they're going to be blowing out as lot of stuff in the next few months. If they make it to March or April you may be able to start naming your price for things.
cwhiley
sduck wrote:
Guitar Center is something to keep ones eyes on for potential deals these days - their days are numbered, they're going to be blowing out as lot of stuff in the next few months. If they make it to March or April you may be able to start naming your price for things.

Oh? They're going away? What's the deal? What did I miss?
slam
cwhiley wrote:
sduck wrote:

Oh? They're going away? What's the deal? What did I miss?

They have been rumored to be going bankrupt for several years now.
cwhiley
They are owned by musicians friend now so I doubt that is the case anymore.
Funky40
nolongerhuman wrote:

so it looks like you are nolongerHuman now lol
dubnspace
cwhiley wrote:
They are owned by musicians friend now so I doubt that is the case anymore.

Quote:

In 2000, Guitar Center purchased mail order and Internet retail house Musician's Friend[28] for $50 million, asserting that the merged company was the world's largest seller of musical instruments.[29] Musician's Friend became a wholly owned subsidiary that was headquartered in Medford, Oregon until 2011, when Musician's Friend's headquarters operations were gradually consolidated into Guitar Center's facilities in Westlake Village, California.[30]
Notron fn
Hmmm, haven't seen news much newer than this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-24/guitar-center-debt- hits-sour-note-as-bonds-hover-near-new-lows
drift
Found this article from Dec. 5

https://www.retaildive.com/news/guitar-center-downgraded/512290/
sduck
This is from November - https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-Guitar-Center-Inc-to -Caa1-outlook-negative--PR_375849

Basically they have to somehow pay off a huge chunk of their debt by April.
bitflip
Well dang, that deal ain't at my local GC. Too bad, i would definitely have considered it at that price. So perhaps that is a good thing. confused
cwhiley
F'in hilarious this guy.

SynthBaron
sduck wrote:
This is from November - https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-Guitar-Center-Inc-to -Caa1-outlook-negative--PR_375849

Basically they have to somehow pay off a huge chunk of their debt by April.

Talk about having the upper hand as a consumer in bargaining on the sales floor. Too bad there's nothing there I need to buy anytime soon.
J3RK
cwhiley wrote:
F'in hilarious this guy.

It made me realize that I have a serious lack of gold+fur clothing. An issue that I must rectify at my earliest possible convenience.

Ujiie-San seems to like it (musictrackjp channel on YouTube). He also does nice demos of this sort of thing. I kind of want one now. Too bad it's February. Might have jumped at $699.
EPTC
Just want to add that "Deepmind Deal at Guitar Center" would be a great 1990s album title.

(Thinking Cibo Matto/Sukia/Beck, etc)
EPTC
cwhiley wrote:
F'in hilarious this guy.

Ha, I don't want to pile on but yeah when he discovers the hold switch it's pretty comical from there on out.
nomadjames
I want this thing bad, I want the tabletop version though, and there are no breaks out there on it. At least not what I can find.
strangegravity
Looks like that deal is not online. My guitar center sucks. They only stock the cheapest gear. Only synths they stock are controllers and those giant "music arranger" type synths. The employees there are largely douche bags because their music careers don't exist. I've gotten a mortgage faster than I can buy a pack of strings there. I avoid the store.

I would have grabbed one at that price for sure.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3