MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Northern Light Modular - 200h Format and DIY
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Northern Light Modular - 200h Format and DIY
Synesthesia
Hello Hello !

and happy new year.

A while ago, we have been looking at the H format. Which I think is great : ) I really like those compact system in conjunction of a Easel or bigger 200 system, and the LEM cases.

Anyway - We started prototyping some of our existing modules into the h format : ) panel files ready and some pcb layout done.

We took the opportunity to revive our version of Clouds and Rings - and I am delighted about this - they fit the h format in a nicer way than our original full panel layout.
Those will be DIY - we will make them available via Modular Addict smile
(For those who aren't familliar with the format - you can attached 2 panel using a H shaped bracket. We will arrange for those to be available)

And of course, design file for PCB's and Panels will be shared, as per the licensing of those modules.

Let me know what you think.

Peake
It's motherfucking bacon yo Dono-Kun Dance It's motherfucking bacon yo
thee ghost ov n_phay
Will these (the DIY ones) work on +/-15v (not sure what Buchla voltage requirements are).
monokinetic
Synesthesia wrote:

We took the opportunity to revive our version of Clouds and Rings - and I am delighted about this - they fit the h format in a nicer way than our original full panel layout.

excellent, they look great!

Synesthesia wrote:

Those will be DIY - we will make them available via Modular Addict smile

nanners sign me up nanners
jimfowler
Looks great to me!

- Jim
cyberdine
absolutely fantastic idea.
audioCTRL
They all look great w00t
Time to install H Brackets..
ArguZ
thee ghost ov n_phay wrote:
Will these (the DIY ones) work on +/-15v (not sure what Buchla voltage requirements are).

Well, it would be silly if they would not, wouldn't it wink
kashmir
Looks great! the DIY will be smd or possibly through hole?
ArguZ
Like all of our modules , and the new original Buchlas, they will be 805 SMD.
We do not want to bother with NOS parts, double PCB designs and cabling.
MCUs like the Teensy and LEDs are the only through hole parts we use.
Good time to invest in a hot air soldering tool smile

Check out the density of Rings for example in relation to the h board....there is not space for through hole

cygmu

Oh, Buchla power is easy: +/-15V, and +12V, and +5V, and two separate grounds.
thee ghost ov n_phay
ArguZ wrote:

Well, it would be silly if they would not, wouldn't it wink

Well, I said I didn't know what Buchla uses for supply voltage! If these (the DIY ones) work on +/-15V then I could build them into my Wiard system, which would be nice. I bought one of those "through hole clouds" PCB sets for the same purpose but...well, that didn't work out too well...
ArguZ
Oliviers and Max modules have been designed for Eurorack.
So they run of +12/-12V and they all use the same LM1117 power converter.
That chip can handle 15V as well and we are also getting +5V or +12V from the rack.
We use the +12V for example in the 2TT to boost the triggers coming from the Atmel 88P chip which can only output +5V , and as we only need positive voltage, this is ideal.
I also built a THC and i remember it sporting the same power converter.
There must have gone something else wrong, the LM1117 , if placed on a bigger cooling surface is totally happy with the +-15V at this low load of around 100mAh.
mirf59

Look amazing. Will hTT and hOC accept MIDI info or other program change info via the USB input? Thx.

rayce
Great idea. I love the thought of mix and matching a couple of these.
ArguZ
mirf59 wrote:

Look amazing. Will hTT and hOC accept MIDI info or other program change info via the USB input? Thx.

Nope, the USB is for programming without the need to dismount the module as it is with the big ones as of now.
And there is also no midi converter in it.

Maybe one glorious day we will see a MPE/Midi/USB/Bluetooth to CV h series.
We have three more in the drawing board, but those are for making actual music.
Boofin Moonrocks
Thanks so much for all of the hard work that went into these! Clouds, rings, and the o+c were all modules I wanted available in 4u, and this will save me a bunch of time.
DomMorley
This is such good idea!

I'm really going to have to learn to deal with SMT soldering though aren't I? zombie
ArguZ
Well, the SMT is no big deal when done with the right equipment.
All you need is fresh solder paste and a hot air soldering station for a fraction of
the cost of a proper iron.
But we are aware this is a new thing for a lot of people and so we are thinking of organizing build parties.
The 4U ones are a bit to big for a one day supervised build, but the h series should be fine.

So stay tuned for further developments and spread the word smile
meatcliff
Very interested in these! I think it's a good direction to go with these modules.
DomMorley
ArguZ wrote:

But we are aware this is a new thing for a lot of people and so we are thinking of organizing build parties.
The 4U ones are a bit to big for a one day supervised build, but the h series should be fine.

So stay tuned for further developments and spread the word smile

Cool - sounds great!
memes_33
my only suggestion is to ditch the "h" power connector format (which either requires an "h" compatible case or a $100 adapter) in favor of a good old EDAC.
ArguZ
What about an EDAC cable that plugs into the h connector per default ?
If someone wants to use a LEM case we just supply the h cable instead.
I kind of like the new Euro like connection but i totally see the point .
The idea is not to make use of the h bus add ons but use standard LDOs for the power to MCU, same one we use in the e style series.
memes_33
ArguZ wrote:
What about an EDAC cable that plugs into the h connector per default ?
If someone wants to use a LEM case we just supply the h cable instead.
I kind of like the new Euro like connection but i totally see the point .
The idea is not to make use of the h bus add ons but use standard LDOs for the power to MCU, same one we use in the e style series.

good point. i just don't want to have to buy a $100 adapter that consists of $1 of parts if i wanted to use these in my non-h case(s)
DomMorley
BTW - the granular/clouds has two sets of outs and no ins.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2