SOMA Labs - The Pipe

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Guitarsenal
Learning to Wiggle

Saturday Pipe Jam

Post by Guitarsenal » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:47 am

This is four stereo tracks of Pipe sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/guitarsenal/ritual

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:24 am

I love it, but the thing is really hurting my left thumb. The hand stretch is just enough plus the weight is just enough that the constant pressure makes my left thumb's joint so uncomfortable that I have to keep shifting the Pipe around. That wouldn't be a big deal if I never wanted to play the knobs rather than pause between changing settings, but it adds a lot to wiggle in real time.

I'd rather not go with a neck strap because it would have to be super short to raise the mike to my mouth without my left thumb bearing the weight. I thought if I could slip my hand through a hand strap on the left side that would do it, while also preventing accidental drops. The kind of handle you see on the top of guitar amps is what I have in mind, but I'd need to drill four holes in the metal plate, which I'm not able to do myself. I guess I could get that done somewhere. The disadvantage is that it would block the cheatsheet printed on the plate--not a big deal--but also the Pipe wouldn't be able to sit on a table without wobbling anymore. Is there some kind of removable, yet secure, handstrap that would work?

Pugilistas
Common Wiggler

Post by Pugilistas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Hmnn.... Try industrial strength rubber bands to hold a handle on it? Use a quick release mic stand connection?

If you come up with something that works well, show the pic here, so we all can steal it! ;)

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 am

Pugilistas wrote:Use a quick release mic stand connection?
I think this would be the best solution for me. Can anyone point to a specific quick-release thing to use with a microphone stand? The kind built for microphones that I've seen can't have flat things mounted to them via the Pipe's mounting holes.

blipson
Common Wiggler

conventional mike a dud

Post by blipson » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:27 am

I tried a third party microphone with my Pipe, and it turned out to be a big nothing. I used an Audix Fireball making contact with my mouth even, but it was always like playing one of Vlad's contact mikes with your mouth distant from the mike. For example with the bass/snare algorithm, there was no bass drum sound, just my voice, as you'd get playing Vlad's mikes a distance from your face. The other algorithms were no better: just warmed over versions of themselves. The Pipe's capacity for nuance apparently really benefits from Vlad's super-hot contact mikes unless a scaled down effect is what you're after.

I used the only XLR mike cable I had handy, and then an XLR - 1/4" adapter. The adapter was TS, though Vlad's mikes are TRS. Would that affect the sound? I thought the only function of the extra lead on Vlad's mikes with TRS plugs is to ensure the player's finger completes/breaks the circuit. Indeed, my mike experiment with a TS plug had an always-closed circuit, then the FX sensor worked as expected. But if using a TS plug in Vlad's TRS jack has an adverse effect, can someone explain what's going on?

I haven't tried a guitar or anything else yet through my Pipe. I just thought it would be more comfortable to hold a lightweight mike and finger the Pipe's sensors while the main unit sits on a table.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: conventional mike a dud

Post by dan_p » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:35 am

I am also finding the ergonomics a bit awkward, I have small hands too and it is difficult to play when resting my thumb on the bottom thumb stop. The square edge doesn't help if your at full stretch. I'm going to knock up an alternate mount using the M4 thread just above the thumb stop, should be spot on then.
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

blipson
Common Wiggler

Re: conventional mike a dud

Post by blipson » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:42 am

dan_p wrote:I am also finding the ergonomics a bit awkward, I have small hands too and it is difficult to play when resting my thumb on the bottom thumb stop. The square edge doesn't help if your at full stretch. I'm going to knock up an alternate mount using the M4 thread just above the thumb stop, should be spot on then.
It's fine if you use two hands. One-handed, I only get about a minute, which is good for frequently adjusting other gear, feeding the baby, etc. I've looked around for something to mount the thing on so that it could then be mounted to a mike stand, but I can't find anything. Vlad says there might be a mounting accessory available someday.

I'd be interested to see whatever alternative you come up with.

dan_p
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_p » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:10 am

I"ll post a pic when I've done it but it will pretty much be a small angle edge of metal with a hole in it and a 4mm bolt. Just big enough to stop my thumb sliding. It won't be a stand mount, just something to make holding it in one hand more comfortable.
Oh you got a Nickel, I got a Dime,
I'd like to get to know you but I haven't got the time,
You got to walk like a mannequin, roll like a tyre,
Act on reaction dodge the big spud fryer
------------------------------------------
www.Soundcloud.com/dan_p
www.YouTube.Com/d4nnyp

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:16 pm

OK so I'm way time late to this party.... Just now saw this on the interweb (yes I lead a very sheltered life cos there's baddies out there that scare me) Haven't even heard a audio demo of this thing or read this entire thread but the first thing that strikes me with this instrument is that it seems totally un-ergonomic. It is shaped like a cubist's idea of a sax and being held like one but with the squared off corners it seems it would be uncomfortable to play for more than a few minutes at a time. Or am I wrong?
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Phitar wrote:OK so I'm way time late to this party.... Just now saw this on the interweb (yes I lead a very sheltered life cos there's baddies out there that scare me) Haven't even heard a audio demo of this thing or read this entire thread but the first thing that strikes me with this instrument is that it seems totally un-ergonomic. It is shaped like a cubist's idea of a sax and being held like one but with the squared off corners it seems it would be uncomfortable to play for more than a few minutes at a time. Or am I wrong?
It's not totally unergonomic. If you have at least an averaged size hand, the playing position is reasonably natural. The weight, however, makes it fatiguing after a few minutes. I regularly play it with the cover plate removed, so that shaves 6 oz. (165g) off the weight, which crosses a crucial threshold of comfortability for me. I often go 20 minutes at a time one-handed because I'm using the other hand to interact with my rack, which I expect is a bit unusual.

But if you play the Pipe focused on the Pipe--the way it's designed to be played--you pretty much constantly have the second hand up there to wiggle its knobs. In that case, the right hand very comfortably supports the Pipe from a couple of natural holding positions. From those ergonomic positions, the right hand bears the Pipe's weight, relieving almost all the stress on the left hand. Anyone who doesn't have some kind of health issue could play a Pipe like this for quite a long time without any tension or stress.

Bumply
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bumply » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:44 pm

I have some longstanding issues with my wrist due to sports injuries when I was younger...the pipe is a bit ouch on me. Anyone come up with some way to create a stand?
Outcheesed by the cheese

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 pm

There've been so few Pipe tracks recently that I've posted a demo of the way I use my rack as a multi-effects with my Pipe for live performance. It's basically just unaccompanied rehearsal:

https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/652712384

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:17 am

Here's one, though it's not the best take:

https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/666093014

blipson
Common Wiggler

Post by blipson » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:47 am

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:50 am

It's around $500? I've seen retailers sell for over $600. Can you get one for around $500 direct from Soma?
PapaLazarou wrote: What's the damage for.one of these puppies?

The website is accurate. To California, with all the fees/taxes/etc... it was just over $500.
WTB: EML 101

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Soma has just announced Pipe Accessories, to wit, a way to hang it round your neck with a saxophone-style strap, or a way to mount it on a mic stand. They have them now, send an email and they will let you know what's th what about getting them [I hope, waiting for a reply to my email which replied to them.]

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Re: SOMA Labs - The Pipe

Post by Arneb » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:13 am

Can you guys recommend me a mic stand to use with this thing? The wife's kinda in love with it, but after reading this thread I doubt she'll be able to play it hand-held. Requirements:
- Table stand
- Playable for a 1.70m tall woman standing up
- I guess desk arms are not an option due to the Pipe's weight?

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re:

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:59 am

RickKleffel wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:30 pm
Soma has just announced Pipe Accessories, to wit, a way to hang it round your neck with a saxophone-style strap, or a way to mount it on a mic stand. They have them now, send an email and they will let you know what's th what about getting them [I hope, waiting for a reply to my email which replied to them.]
That tread adapter to put it on mike stands is a must have inho.

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm

Does the neck strap and stand come with it now?

I'm strongly considering buying a black Pipe finally. Still deciding on getting this or another effects unit. The only thing I'm worried about is that I won't be able to properly sync the Pipe with my music (when using some of it's tempo based effects).

Is it easy or hard to sync up with your song tempo?
WTB: EML 101

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:33 am

stikygum wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm
Does the neck strap and stand come with it now?
Nah, they're sold separately and are, annoyingly, harder to find than the Pipe itself. Also, for the stand, they're not selling the stand itself - they're selling adapters for mounting on a normal mic stand.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:35 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:59 am
RickKleffel wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:30 pm
That tread adapter to put it on mike stands is a must have inho.
HOLY FRACK!

i was wishing that it could be mounted on a mic stand!
it's a wee bit heavy to use for long periods of time!

thank you for posting this!!!!!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Return to “General Gear”