MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound Design, Textures & Timbres
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Sound Design, Textures & Timbres
ReturnCodeZero
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wFPILfO4Ws

So, this track has really inspired me. I don't want to necessarily make dancefloor "techno" but I love the sounds, and textures in this and was wondering if anyone makes anything similar and their methods of doing so. I'm thinking, wave folders, distortion, compression? Any modules that spring to mind?

Also the kick, any ideas on the processing? Detune, compression? It sounds huge!
poppinger
Ansome did an Against the Clock a few years back where he basically just jammed out for 10 minutes. It might be worth checking out.

mt3

ReturnCodeZero
Thanks, yep. seen all these, however more interested if anyone makes anything similar and their methods of doing so. I'm thinking, wave folders, distortion, compression? Any modules that spring to mind?

Also the kick, any ideas on the processing? Detune, compression? It sounds huge!
lonefront
I like to explore AM/FM modulation and use a healthy bit of distortion/compression/etc. One of my favorites is using the MN moddemix for Ring Mod and send a fast envelope to both Pitch and vca/vcf/lpg.

+1 Very fast delays with a touch of feedback and tight reverbs with dampening characteristcs. I'm a fan of using the Oliverb mode on Clouds to add some room texture
lonefront
made a quick demo of a ring mod patch I frequent.

ReturnCodeZero
lonefront wrote:

This is cool man...Thank you for sharing, it has given me a few ideas to try with my rack.

Any other suggestions with what I currently have?

lonefront
I'd recommend some Utilities if this were my case. Multiple, VCA, maybe an attenuverter. Maths is a great solution but by no means the only one (it isn't really a mult either, although it can multiply!). If anything, definitely a multiplier.
ReturnCodeZero
Cool...

The M32 already has a built in Mult & VCA(limited function) which I can utilise and also there is a ring mod function on the disting, so I am going to explore patching with these later on! Cheers! SlayerBadger!
lonefront
Ah! Forgot it had a mult
ReturnCodeZero
lonefront wrote:

Would you be able to elaborate on what you patched for this? Can't seem to get any similar results hmmm.....

I get that I need to patch 2 x sines to the ring mod and then out to mixer, however struggling to see how to patch the envelopes/pitch!? Probably being super basic here.
lonefront
Aside from the use of distortion and reverb results may vary depending on what you are using for Ring mod. any vca should get the job done, though. You're gonna want to use that envelope for the pitch of both oscillators and the freq cutoff of your filter. Being able to attenuate those voltages is ideal to tune the sound.

This patch specifically is:

audio:
sine a ----------------> moddemix carrier 1
sine b ----------------> moddemix modulator 2
moddemix sum out -> ripples input
ripples out -----------> mix in

envelopes:
trig out -> multiplier -> maths trig 1 in
-> function trig in
maths unity out 1 ----> sine a pitch
maths out 1 ----------> sine b pitch
function out ----------> ripples filter cutoff
ReturnCodeZero
lonefront wrote:
Aside from the use of distortion and reverb results may vary depending on what you are using for Ring mod. any vca should get the job done, though. You're gonna want to use that envelope for the pitch of both oscillators and the freq cutoff of your filter. Being able to attenuate those voltages is ideal to tune the sound.

This patch specifically is:

audio:
sine a ----------------> moddemix carrier 1
sine b ----------------> moddemix modulator 2
moddemix sum out -> ripples input
ripples out -----------> mix in

envelopes:
trig out -> multiplier -> maths trig 1 in
-> function trig in
maths unity out 1 ----> sine a pitch
maths out 1 ----------> sine b pitch
function out ----------> ripples filter cutoff

Thanks for the details on the patch, very useful....I'm just trying to plan this patch for my system (not at the controls at the moment) and this is what I have...Is my thinking correct?

Audio:

Braids (Sine) > Input X disitng
M32 (Sine) > Input Y disting
Out A disting > Ext In M32 OR Mixer (1)

(For the envelopes what 'trig out' would I use from my set up? This is the only part I can’t figure out!?) hmmm.....

Envelopes:

Trig Out? Of what? > Mult M32 > MFB Trig 1 in
> MFB > MFB Trig 2 in
MFB ADSR Out 1 > Braids (Sine) pitch
MFB ADSR Out 2 > M32 (Sine) pitch
MFB ADSR Out 1 OR 2 > M32 filter Cut Off (using a stackable)

Think I need to buy a MATHS!
lonefront
Sorry should have clarified that it’s gonne be gate/trig so grab that from the m32
ReturnCodeZero
Ok, cool. Makes sense. Thanks again.
Mostin77
ReturnCodeZero wrote:
Thanks, yep. seen all these, however more interested if anyone makes anything similar and their methods of doing so. I'm thinking, wave folders, distortion, compression? Any modules that spring to mind?

You can see most of the modules he’s using in the videos. He has a 303 clone so anything from acidlabs or the dinsync modules should get you somewhere close. I get the feeling the sound he gets is mostly from the processing though and most of the processing is distortion based (possibly valve based distortion). The 2 pedals he runs his kicks through are probably distortion pedals one looks like the classic RAT pedal.

I think you’d get somewhere close by buying a load of really noisy modules, Befaco sallen key filter would be a good filter and anything that distorts and sounds gritty as hell.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1