MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Strymon is making a Magneto module?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Author Strymon is making a Magneto module?
JohnLRice
(Edit: Yup, it's official! https://www.strymon.net/products/magneto/ hyper )

At least that's what Mr. DivKid said on Twitter! cool

For those not familiar, Magneto is one of the reverb "machines" on the Strymon BigSky pedal. It's a multi head tape echo reverby kinda thing. It sounds great, not sure if the module would sound any different or not? hmmm.....

Strymon sez about the BigSky preset "Blur the line between delay and reverb with BigSky's Magneto machine. A multi-head echo with Feedback and Diffusion controls"
taylor12k
depending on the amount of CV control that could be a very cool thing.
taylor12k
ok, wow:

mateo
That looks good!
oinkbanana
hope it makes it to production

why did they abandon the Generalissimo module they showed last year at namm?
porphyrion
Same here!

Apparently, 'Generalissimo' referred/refers to Franco & his autocratic regime.
Hope to see Magneto -or whatever its name will turn out to be- in the flesh someday! Glad to see they're still working on this euro-module.

oinkbanana wrote:
hope it makes it to production

why did they abandon the Generalissimo module they showed last year at namm?
mateo
porphyrion wrote:
Apparently, 'Generalissimo' referred/refers to Franco & his autocratic regime.

Yeah the name was a bit problematic. But looking at the panel layout (which seems very very similar) There's a good chance that Magneto is the continuation of the work done on that module.
Tumulishroomaroom
Delay/reverb combo with good/efficient modulation possibilities, with the Strymon sound ? Should be amazing.
cackland
Interested in this for sure!!!
lumena
and so as another January passed rumors of wonderful machines that would never come to pass flooded our minds.
Kingnimrod
I wish Strymon would port the el capistan to euro. Instant best seller...
Zymos
I would have bought the Generalissimo when they first announced it way back when. Obviously they didn't just bail on a product because of the name, if they'd had something close to release they would have just renamed it and gotten on with it.

That said, I think it's great that they are coming out with something less ordinary!
Cowan
Already thinking about selling my Clouds for this. It would sit beautifully to the right of my Morphagene love
witchbutter
Big Sky is a lush unit and I like the concept of the Generalissimo but I think they would be better off making smaller units with a few patch points. Magneto in say 6HP with mono to stereo and 6-8 CV controls would be incredible. Then they could do additional ones for Shimmer or Chorus.

FX in eurorack seem to be all or nothing-either you get a simple function in 2-4HP or it's 20+ to get something will real control like erbe-verb or Z-DSP. I honestly think it would be better if there was more variety that was smaller with less software/dsp features but plenty of CV control. My $0.02.
JohnLRice
I'm guessing that since Strymon's smaller pedals like the El Capistan etc are all 4" wide, which is 20 hp, and since they seem to have a tendency for making eurorack modules that are over 20 hp, it may be a case where they use the same basic processor board layout for most if not all of their products of that size and so with the addition of the 3.5mm jacks (note that it looks like all the jacks are on the sides and bottom of the Magneto module, as far as I can tell) it turns out to be a 24 to 28 hp module?
dooj88
witchbutter wrote:
Big Sky is a lush unit and I like the concept of the Generalissimo but I think they would be better off making smaller units with a few patch points. Magneto in say 6HP with mono to stereo and 6-8 CV controls would be incredible. Then they could do additional ones for Shimmer or Chorus.

FX in eurorack seem to be all or nothing-either you get a simple function in 2-4HP or it's 20+ to get something will real control like erbe-verb or Z-DSP. I honestly think it would be better if there was more variety that was smaller with less software/dsp features but plenty of CV control. My $0.02.

i'm with you on this. unless it's something extremely versatile like clouds, i don't need fx taking up huge amounts of space. hope they can shrink it down a bit more.
Bobby
I'm also put off by size in effects. Haven't bought a zdsp or erbeverb for these reasons.

Edit: also don't like them if they aren't true stereo (with stereo ins)
Hovercraft
I think what sank Generalissimo was the lack of cv inputs. Why even bother making it modular, unless most of the parameters are cv-controllable? I could be wrong, but I think there was a lot of criticism when the prototype was shown, and they decided to go back to the drawing board.

Magneto looks interesting. Big, but that won't hurt them if it sounds amazing.
Hi5
I can finally live with lager fx modules but cv control depth, stereo i/o, functional range and cost have to really line up. Love the Strymon sound so hopefully this one comes through
oinkbanana
I count 14 knobs and 14 1/8" jacks on both units.

maybe they are one of the same.
seriously, i just don't get it
BaloErets
JohnLRice wrote:
I'm guessing that since Strymon's smaller pedals like the El Capistan etc are all 4" wide, which is 20 hp, and since they seem to have a tendency for making eurorack modules that are over 20 hp, it may be a case where they use the same basic processor board layout for most if not all of their products of that size and so with the addition of the 3.5mm jacks (note that it looks like all the jacks are on the sides and bottom of the Magneto module, as far as I can tell) it turns out to be a 24 to 28 hp module?

They have only prototyped 1 module, so I wouldn't go so far as to say that they have developed any sort of tendency regarding hp size. They mention that they are hard at work improving the platform, so we can only hope that a part of these improvement is reducing hp size.
akrylik
witchbutter wrote:

6HP for 6-8 CV controls is WAY too small. It would have to be at least 10 or 12HP to support that may patch points with attenuators. Take a look at ADM11 which has 4 CV inputs at 6HP:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/audio-damage-adm11-dimensions

I don't see how you can fit more without it becoming too tight.

Another point to consider is that reverb takes a good amount of DSP power to do well (especially Strymon style). Do you really want a 6HP module to take 200-300mA of power?

And the final point, is that to get that computational power, fast memory, along with nice ADC/DAC to match, the BOM cost gets to be WAY too expensive for a 6HP module. So you need to target a larger more versatile design that can demand a higher price and this way reduce the percentage of manufacturing cost with respect to the sale price.

witchbutter wrote:

Is this really true? If you go to modulargrid and you do a search for in-production effect modules between 6HP and 12HP, you get a lot of hits. I see reverbs, delays, flangers, phasers, frequency shifters, distortion, bitcrushers, and compressors.
nso_music
Kingnimrod wrote:

+1 best sounding and most flexible tape delay there is. would be great to modulate the tape age in a patch hihi
ethnotronics
nso_music wrote:
Kingnimrod wrote:

+1 best sounding and most flexible tape delay there is. would be great to modulate the tape age in a patch hihi

+1
loydb
re: Generalissimo

The issue wasn't the name -- they even defended it. The issue was lack of CV controls. They may have seized the opportunity to ditch the name, however, as they iterated.

It will be interesting to see what they learned from it in the Magneto.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next [all]
Page 1 of 29