MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

tuning yusynth vco
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author tuning yusynth vco
flisgd
Hi,
I have done WAVESHAPE CONVERTER SETTING and V/OCT TRACKING part but I have some trouble TUNING yusynth vco, here are the instructions (from http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/VCO/index.html):

TUNING
1. Disconnect the CV source from the V/OCT input.
2. Turn the FREQUENCY potentiometer to 0 (fully counter-clockwise position)
3. Turn the FINE TUNE potentiometer to 0 (mid-range position)
4. Adjust T1 in order to read a frequency of 16.2 Hz
5. Plug a CV/GATE keyboard (starting at C, and giving 0V for lower C)
6. Press A3 key, and check that the pitch is A3 / 220Hz. If not adjust T1.

I don't understand step 5. I plug in CV keyboard, I output 0V from the keyboard and I still get 16.2 Hz. What does this "starting at C, and giving 0V for lower C" mean? Should I turn the FREQUENCY or FINE TUNE knob to get 55Hz? Should I turn T1 to get 55Hz? Obviously I have to do something, because when I output 2V in step 6 I get something around 64Hz instead of 220Hz.
flisgd
Ok, now I get it, 16.2Hz is around C0. So the A3 is not 2V but 3.75V.
sixbyseven
VCOs like the YuSynth one that work to 1 volt per octave:

All that matters is that for each volt, the frequency should exactly double.

For CV, I use an accurate stepped voltage source to 3 decimal places. Mine goes from 0 to 7 Volts in 1 volt increments.

Example, set the frequency knob to 100 Hz and the CV input is supplied by 0 volts, then add 1 volt to the CV. The frequency should be 200Hz

Then 2 Volt to CV, should be 400hz
3 Volts 800Hz
4 Volts 1600 Hz
5 Volts 3200Hz
6 Volts 6400 Hz
7 Volts 128 KHz

High frequency compensation should be set to null (no impact) until you start testing over 800 Hz.

Once all that it done, you can tune the freq to A1 or C1 (or A3 or C3) using a tuner. Then your frequency will double with each octave A1 to A2 to A3.... or C1 to C2 to C3.
Dave Peck
Yes, the 1V/OCT tracking is most important, but this procedure the OP is asking about is separate from that. This is about setting the overall tuning, which is done after setting the 1V/octave tracking, so that the module produces a specific reference pitch when the knobs are in a specific position. It's really not very important because of course you can just move the knob slightly to get the correct tuning, but if it is way off you can run out of knob range. And you may prefer to have multiple oscs all calibrated so they produce the same pitch when the knobs are all fully counterclockwise, just to make things a bit easier.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1