MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DSI Pro 2 users?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author DSI Pro 2 users?
dkcg
I know a few of you have the Pro 2. Got any examples of more "modular" sounding patches?

Still getting into mine, so far, farty patches, but it's quite a deep well thought out synth.
tony d
I picked one up fairly recently as well. This is my first DSI instrument and am really digging it. I dont have any modular type patches that i have done with it yet because i bought it to compliment the modular but check out this vid if you haven't yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJSgoLpxDo
dkcg
Cool. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get home. You probably know about these (they're linked from the DSI webpage), but it really helped figure things out.

Pro2 is a hell of a synth to be your first DSI. Mine was a desktop Evolver around 2009, hated the interface (or lack of), MonoEvolver Keys got me going deep in DSI fever. MEK (and a couple desktops), Rev2, and Pro2 within a month... Dead Banana
Nelson Baboon
dkcg wrote:
Cool. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get home. You probably know about these (they're linked from the DSI webpage), but it really helped figure things out.

Pro2 is a hell of a synth to be your first DSI. Mine was a desktop Evolver around 2009, hated the interface (or lack of), MonoEvolver Keys got me going deep in DSI fever. MEK (and a couple desktops), Rev2, and Pro2 within a month... Dead Banana

you haven't tried out the p12 yet, punk?
dkcg
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Not yet, I'm afraid I'll go home with one.

I've seen some nice prices for the desktop, but nothing so low I have to get it. Maybe if they hit under $1000, but the no sequencer thing bugs me...especially seeing how extensive the routing for it is in the Pro2.
Nelson Baboon
dkcg wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

I've seen some nice prices for the desktop, but nothing so low I have to get it. Maybe if they hit under $1000, but the no sequencer thing bugs me...especially seeing how extensive the routing for it is in the Pro2.

fuck that. buy a schirrmacher. it's better than any built in synth sequencer.
dkcg
Nelson Baboon wrote:
dkcg wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

There's one on craigslist here with the CVio, But $2200. I blew my wad on the DSIs.
Nelson Baboon
dkcg wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
dkcg wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

There's one on craigslist here with the CVio, But $2200. I blew my wad on the DSIs.

not the cirklon. the schrittmacher. if you need cv, get a cv.ocd
dkcg
Oh. I get those two mixed up, maybe it's the rack format.

If I get the P12, I'm sure I'll be getting something like the Schrittmacher. I like the OT's sequencer, but it's a pain in the ass to work with for me. Now that I have midi synths, I wish I still had the TetraMaps to try with them.
Nelson Baboon
dkcg wrote:
Oh. I get those two mixed up, maybe it's the rack format.

If I get the P12, I'm sure I'll be getting something like the Schrittmacher. I like the OT's sequencer, but it's a pain in the ass to work with for me. Now that I have midi synths, I wish I still had the TetraMaps to try with them.

if you want my tetramaps, should me a pm. in theory i want to keep it, but i always turn to the schrittmacher first, and i have taxes to pay.

the ot sequencer is very good. I used to dismiss it, but hell. it is very good. it kind of comes down to how you like the ui, and the features. as a pure, abstract sequencer (sequencing musical values in various forms), I love the schrittmacher. You can cue up songs, but basically it's like an analog sequencer in that there isn't much of a song structure capabiility. Nice big screen. Lots of modulation that can get pretty crazy because you can modulate values, velocity, direction, gate/note length, etc, and there is lots of timing granularity. so you can deviate more quickly, I think, from traditional sequencing than on the cirklon. but it doesn't have all of that algorithmic shit that you have on the cirklon. sometimes you can find a schrittmacher at a good used price, and often you can talk the seller down because, I mean, people haven't heard of this thing.
phisynth
Not sure what you have in mind by sounding "modular", but FWIW, here's a playlist I made using almost exclusively the PRO2, a Space reverb and in some cases BugBrand DRM's :

https://soundcloud.com/phisynth/sets/dsi-pro-2-experiments

I think almost all of these patches use the 16 freely assignable modulation slots, sometimes with external CV's, so in this sense, they are modular
Jason Brock
Max the resonance on filter 1 so it is self-oscillating and use that as the only audio source. Send all sorts of crazy modulation to it. Sounds better than the on-board oscillators for wild, electric-sounding modular patches. And the cool thing with the Pro 2 is you can run the filters in series so you still get to use filter 2 as normal when doing this.
tony d
dkcg wrote:

Yeah i watched every video i could waiting for it to arrive but thanks.

Honestly i've only created patches to fill a need to compliment other things at this point so i look forward to sitting down and really getting into approaching it in a experimental way.

Would be interested to hear your impression of the Rev2 VS. Pro2 ?

On a side note about DSI fever, my buddy brought a Tempest over a little while ago and once i got my head around that i fell in love.

Good thing i only have a 5'x6' room to work in.
tony d
phisynth wrote:
Not sure what you have in mind by sounding "modular", but FWIW, here's a playlist I made using almost exclusively the PRO2, a Space reverb and in some cases BugBrand DRM's :

I think almost all of these patches use the 16 freely assignable modulation slots, sometimes with external CV's, so in this sense, they are modular

Cool man, some really great sounding stuff in there.
dkcg
phisynth wrote:

Perfect! I was looking for non-traditional, more like a modular patch, type of experimentation. Ivansphere's video and your samples are what I was looking for.

I'm curious about using the Pro2 with the Buchla...would be great if I could use it to play polyphonic Buchla patches.
Ambientdreaming
phisynth wrote:

Wow, best I have heard of this synth. Been considering it Vs. MFB Dominion 1.
stikygum
Jason Brock wrote:
Max the resonance on filter 1 so it is self-oscillating and use that as the only audio source. Send all sorts of crazy modulation to it. Sounds better than the on-board oscillators for wild, electric-sounding modular patches. And the cool thing with the Pro 2 is you can run the filters in series so you still get to use filter 2 as normal when doing this.

Good suggestion, I've been so caught up in all the other features and modulation on the Pro 2, I've failed to check out one of the most common synth tricks. I'll have a go with this next time I turn it on.
dogoftears
phisynth wrote:

this playlist is awesome.
can't wait to get one of these.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1