New Syncussion with MIDI and Silent power - VIDEOS

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

huglo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by huglo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:18 am

Hey Guys, my build now works fine so far

I had 11 cold solder on smd parts !!!

The new problem is that CV don't work on both channel, do you have any advice to track this down?
I try to send CV in tune input with a SQ-1 set in 1V, am I right?
Is the diagram for this is the same from the OG syncussion?

Thank you

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:04 am

Hi, so i just finished my build and this thing is fantastic, sounds so amazing. also incredibly easy straight forward build. i am now trying to calibrate the midi and channel 2 seems to track great im around four or so octaves but i cant get channel one to track at all. i will try with cv now but i am using the midi direct from my digitakt. i tune the channel so that when i manually trigger it plays a C and then play the same note with the digitakt and trim accordingly but when i switch octaves its more than a note off. is there something i might have mis-soldered that might account for this?

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:25 am

So I just ordered another kit for a client. Are both matched transistors included in the kit? When I check the mouser cart on the website only BCM847 are included in the cart and BCM857 are not. Do I need to add them or are they included in the kit?

1/7B
Common Wiggler

Post by 1/7B » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Just received my kits yesterday.
The BCM857 are included ;)

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:08 pm

1/7B wrote:Just received my kits yesterday.
The BCM857 are included ;)
Ok sweet, will only order the 847s then, thanks :bananaguitar:

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:10 pm

huglo wrote:Hey Guys, my build now works fine so far

I had 11 cold solder on smd parts !!!

The new problem is that CV don't work on both channel, do you have any advice to track this down?
I try to send CV in tune input with a SQ-1 set in 1V, am I right?
Is the diagram for this is the same from the OG syncussion?

Thank you
The Tune input is really just the same as the original with the addition of the trimmer for the V/Oct scaling.

I would start by tracing through with your multi-meter.... you may have cut cut the header pins too short in which case the signal from the Tune input jack wont be reaching the top board!

If you feed in a CV you should see a voltage at the bottom of R2-1 for channel 1 and at the top of R41 for channel 2. Bear in mind that depending on the position of the trimmer, this voltage may not be identical to the CV you're feeding in.

If you do see a voltage at those points you might need to take a look at the resistor values around U1 (ch1) and U7 (ch2) but that's unlikely to be the issue if your Tune sliders are working.

Last edited by satindas on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These are bizarre manifestations of untamed high-frequency parasitic oscillations...
www.psycox.co.uk

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:11 pm

aabbcc wrote:So I just ordered another kit for a client. Are both matched transistors included in the kit? When I check the mouser cart on the website only BCM847 are included in the cart and BCM857 are not. Do I need to add them or are they included in the kit?
They're included in the kit :tu:
These are bizarre manifestations of untamed high-frequency parasitic oscillations...
www.psycox.co.uk

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:19 pm

neonmercury1 wrote:Hi, so i just finished my build and this thing is fantastic, sounds so amazing. also incredibly easy straight forward build. i am now trying to calibrate the midi and channel 2 seems to track great im around four or so octaves but i cant get channel one to track at all. i will try with cv now but i am using the midi direct from my digitakt. i tune the channel so that when i manually trigger it plays a C and then play the same note with the digitakt and trim accordingly but when i switch octaves its more than a note off. is there something i might have mis-soldered that might account for this?
Ignore the absolute pitch until it's trimmed.
Just send alternating notes 1 octave apart from your Digitakt and adjust the trimmer until your hear an octave between the notes produced. You can refine it by creating a sequence of 4 notes, each an octave higher than the previous and adjust until you hear octaves. This is how I do it (with the help of Lives tuner plugin:)

Once you've set the trimmer THEN you can adjust the Tune slider to get it in tune with other gear. :tu:
www.psycox.co.uk

neonmercury1
Wiggling with Experience

Post by neonmercury1 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:24 pm

satindas wrote:
neonmercury1 wrote:Hi, so i just finished my build and this thing is fantastic, sounds so amazing. also incredibly easy straight forward build. i am now trying to calibrate the midi and channel 2 seems to track great im around four or so octaves but i cant get channel one to track at all. i will try with cv now but i am using the midi direct from my digitakt. i tune the channel so that when i manually trigger it plays a C and then play the same note with the digitakt and trim accordingly but when i switch octaves its more than a note off. is there something i might have mis-soldered that might account for this?
Ignore the absolute pitch until it's trimmed.
Just send alternating notes 1 octave apart from your Digitakt and adjust the trimmer until your hear an octave between the notes produced. You can refine it by creating a sequence of 4 notes, each an octave higher than the previous and adjust until you hear octaves. This is how I do it (with the help of Lives tuner plugin:)

Once you've set the trimmer THEN you can adjust the Tune slider to get it in tune with other gear. :tu:
HI and thanks for your quick response. this is how i first tried to calibrate the top section but i could not get any tracking. is there any thing else i can check?

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:03 pm

neonmercury1 wrote: HI and thanks for your quick response. this is how i first tried to calibrate the top section but i could not get any tracking. is there any thing else i can check?
You can check try swapping the MCP4822 Dacs around. I’ve had duff ones before and that would certainly mess up your tracking.
www.psycox.co.uk

synthetek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthetek » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:18 pm

Anyone know the part # for B100K sliders for the SY-1M? I have a broken one.
Thanks

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:29 am

synthetek wrote:Anyone know the part # for B100K sliders for the SY-1M? I have a broken one.
Thanks
PTA3043-2015DPB104

PTA3043-2015DPA103

PTA3043-2015DPA104

PTA3043-2015DPA504

Just for reference here are all! B100k is marked in bold!

synthpriest
Common Wiggler

Post by synthpriest » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:56 am

Do you plan doing another run of the SY-1M or is it gone forever? :bang:

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:53 pm

synthpriest wrote:Do you plan doing another run of the SY-1M or is it gone forever? :bang:
No definite plans yet but it's quite possible there will be another run at some point.
www.psycox.co.uk

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:08 pm

So I just finished a unit and everything is fine and dandy except that the 12v power line measures 15.5v, needless to say the 7808 is getting very :deadbanana:

I'm using some meanwell 12vdc 500ma center pin positive adapter https://secure.reichelt.com/se/en/singl ... 61592.html?

Even tried with a few old iron core transformer adapters I found in the dumpster room that were approopriately speced, same thing.

Any pointers?

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:05 pm

aabbcc wrote:So I just finished a unit and everything is fine and dandy except that the 12v power line measures 15.5v, needless to say the 7808 is getting very :deadbanana:

I'm using some meanwell 12vdc 500ma center pin positive adapter https://secure.reichelt.com/se/en/singl ... 61592.html?

Even tried with a few old iron core transformer adapters I found in the dumpster room that were approopriately speced, same thing.

Any pointers?
Between which points are you measuring?
15.5V is approximately (16V) what you should see between the two 8V rails.

The 7808 shouldn’t be dissipating more than around 0.8W so.... warm to the touch but certainly not hot! If it’s getting hot, you probably have a short somewhere.
www.psycox.co.uk

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:26 pm

satindas wrote:
aabbcc wrote:So I just finished a unit and everything is fine and dandy except that the 12v power line measures 15.5v, needless to say the 7808 is getting very :deadbanana:

Any pointers?
Between which points are you measuring?
15.5V is approximately (16V) what you should see between the two 8V rails.

The 7808 shouldn’t be dissipating more than around 0.8W so.... warm to the touch but certainly not hot! If it’s getting hot, you probably have a short somewhere.
Ok this is so weird...I was measuring 15.5v between ground and pin 1 of the 7808, now when I re-measure it says 11.986 :intellijel:

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:37 pm

aabbcc wrote:Ok this is so weird...I was measuring 15.5v between ground and pin 1 of the 7808, now when I re-measure it says 11.986 :intellijel:
Glitch in the matrix :hmm:
www.psycox.co.uk

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am

satindas wrote:
aabbcc wrote:Ok this is so weird...I was measuring 15.5v between ground and pin 1 of the 7808, now when I re-measure it says 11.986 :intellijel:
Glitch in the matrix :hmm:
Or the flux capacitors I used?

Or maybe that both my dumpster found 12v adapters were outputting 16v :doh:

The only thing that bugs me now is that I can't seem to get rid of some nasty hissing noise on channel 2, it's not really loud but definitely audioble, can't remember having this issue on the other ones I've previously built. Channel 1 is good though.

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:54 am

Meh I just installed the noise mod board and now it's quite :)

However once it shut up I noticed some audible lfo bleed if the volume <75% :omg:

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:12 am

aabbcc wrote:Meh I just installed the noise mod board and now it's quite :)
However once it shut up I noticed some audible lfo bleed if the volume <75% :omg:
Try reflowing around the S/H section....
www.psycox.co.uk

mmoody
1-Post Wiggler

Post by mmoody » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:15 am

another request for a restock here :love:

synthpriest
Common Wiggler

Post by synthpriest » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:45 pm

mmoody wrote:another request for a restock here :love:
:miley: :party:

huglo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by huglo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:59 am

satindas wrote: The Tune input is really just the same as the original with the addition of the trimmer for the V/Oct scaling.

I would start by tracing through with your multi-meter.... you may have cut cut the header pins too short in which case the signal from the Tune input jack wont be reaching the top board!

If you feed in a CV you should see a voltage at the bottom of R2-1 for channel 1 and at the top of R41 for channel 2. Bear in mind that depending on the position of the trimmer, this voltage may not be identical to the CV you're feeding in.

If you do see a voltage at those points you might need to take a look at the resistor values around U1 (ch1) and U7 (ch2) but that's unlikely to be the issue if your Tune sliders are working.
Thank you for your quick response, everything was ok actually, the mistake was from me.

I 've got a new problem anyway, everything was working so far, I try to improve the CV calibration but now both channels are mute.. except in F mode(LFO and S/H are OK) I probably burn something by contact, there's no component that affect both channels, right?
I need to check again VCA and VCO.

Are the point 1 and 2 the same than the THC SY-1?

akos.turi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by akos.turi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:12 am

I have been building a PsyCo X SY-1M for a friend of mine. I had some issues with the SMD trannies. A professionalist re-soldered the SMDs with hot-air. It was perfect. After 2 days on CH1 B and E modes have low volume level again. Is there anyone who knows which transistors connects to these mode?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”